Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Plan Requests
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

b&c 18tbx100 cabinet design needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seehnav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: b&c 18tbx100 cabinet design needed
    Posted: 23 November 2015 at 5:02pm
Hey everyone,

I'm searching for a stand alone cab for the 18tbx100.

i've looked into:

b&c sub 18
Cubo 18 extended
Tham 18
Cyclops cb18 (maybe to big)
Maybe bandpass?

I love the sound of a bandpass like the nxo ls1200 , maybe rebuild a ls1200 and put the driver inside the cab? or design my own bandpass cab?

Thx !

Seehnav 
Heathrow_B_line View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heathrow_B_line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2015 at 5:32pm
i am not 100% sure but i seem to remember people used to rate the 18tbx100 in a EV T18

If that is any use to you
Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.
Seehnav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seehnav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2015 at 7:30pm
I look into that , i'll keep that in mind , looks like a cubo principle. 
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2015 at 7:53pm
If its a standalone cab, id 100% go with the Tham 18 personally. 
You can't polish a turd!
Seehnav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seehnav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2015 at 7:53pm
I'm looking into a Cubo SuB or this is my own design

3d view , bracing not included and stuff , just raw

DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2015 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Seehnav Seehnav wrote:

I'm looking into a Cubo SuB or this is my own design

I'm not sure if WinISD models bandpass boxes correctly (or is even comparable to BassBoxPro), but that looks like about the same output you'd get from a vented box of about 15% smaller size. Have you checked the options for Vented in that software yet?
Below is WinISD's take on your box in blue and the same driver in a vented box of 170l tuned to 41.5Hz in yellow. The 3 graphs are SPL, Power consumed and Excursion respectively.

Edit: If you do go with your BP6, I'd recheck the airspeed for the front vents - they are outputting most of the sound from the cabinet, so I'd be surprised if 2 x 9.4 cm vents are going to be big enough - probably better to think in terms of matching he size of the rear port.
HTH,
David.

Edited by DMorison - 30 November 2015 at 3:53pm
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2015 at 3:52pm
Edit - meant to edit last post, not quote it - time to go back to bed!!!

Edited by DMorison - 30 November 2015 at 3:55pm
Seehnav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seehnav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2015 at 5:49pm
Oh my , you're right! 

I just wanted to recreate a sound like LS1200 , not that hard slamming bass (techno) but more warm and deep bass (not chest thumping but trousers shaking bass). So I just go with the B&C SUB18 design or what is your advise ?

Thx in advance & regards,
Tim

levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2015 at 6:14pm
Consider this one also.

http://hornplans.free.fr/ms18.html

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Seehnav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seehnav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2015 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Consider this one also.

http://hornplans.free.fr/ms18.html

How could i've missed that one! Thx I look into it! 
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2015 at 12:43pm

Oh my , you're right! 

<Snip>
I just wanted to recreate a sound like LS1200 , not that hard slamming bass (techno) but more warm and deep bass (not chest thumping but trousers shaking bass). So I just go with the B&C SUB18 design or what is your advise ?

Hi,
Vented certainly works as a sort of default loading type to give reasonably flat, extended response, so should sound quite neutral when done right. Trade off is it's usually not going to be the very loudest option.
Bandpass should give some gain when compared with that, so I'm not sure if BB6Pro and WinISD are actually modelling it correctly - might be worth investing a bit of time looking at other modelling options - I believe Hornresp can be made to do BP's for example.
The MS18 also suggested should definitely be louder than a vented box, being horn loaded, but I have no experience using that style of box so I'm not sure what the subjective tone would be like.

Not sure if you've tried already but as there's already a pro box that you like the sound of, it might be better to see if you can source those second hand rather than building an approximation based on possibly inaccurate models? I know Nexo aren't the cheapest and plenty people hang on to them so maybe that's just not practical/affordable for you right now though.

HTH,
David.
Seehnav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seehnav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2015 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by DMorison DMorison wrote:

Oh my , you're right! 

<Snip>

Hi,
Vented certainly works as a sort of default loading type to give reasonably flat, extended response, so should sound quite neutral when done right. Trade off is it's usually not going to be the very loudest option.
Bandpass should give some gain when compared with that, so I'm not sure if BB6Pro and WinISD are actually modelling it correctly - might be worth investing a bit of time looking at other modelling options - I believe Hornresp can be made to do BP's for example.
The MS18 also suggested should definitely be louder than a vented box, being horn loaded, but I have no experience using that style of box so I'm not sure what the subjective tone would be like.

Not sure if you've tried already but as there's already a pro box that you like the sound of, it might be better to see if you can source those second hand rather than building an approximation based on possibly inaccurate models? I know Nexo aren't the cheapest and plenty people hang on to them so maybe that's just not practical/affordable for you right now though.

HTH,
David.

Local company is selling them , but it's like €600/Box without TAX , so there aren't cheap indeed.  But I think i'm gonna with the THAM 18 , lots of wood working and its gonna be a challenge for me . I've build the THAM 12 with b&c (12nld76) and they sound good , but doesn't reach to far (+-2 meters max). 

Thx man!

Greetings,
Tim 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>