Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Berry x32 vs Souncraft Xpression 2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Berry x32 vs Souncraft Xpression 2
    Posted: 12 September 2013 at 4:07pm
As the title says, anyone with hands on experience with both desks place your feedback here.

I look after a small venue in town and they are looking to go digital on a budget. The Soundcraft Si Expression 2 and the berry x32 with the relevant digital stage boxes, are the two that are being debated over. Yes I know the x32 has 32 preamps but the venue is happy to have just the 24 and the fact you can xpand the expression 2 with the mini stagebox 32 + Madi cards is a big plus.

I really like the look of the Expression range, but would like to hear the thoughts of peoples first hand experience on both desks.. Is the hype of the berry acurate.

Cheers Jim
Light travels faster than sound....That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2013 at 4:24pm
I have an X32 and an Si Ex 3, they're quite different beasts. The Si Ex range sounds very nice and is more or less an LS9 that isn't horrific to use. It's very quick to move around and throw a mix down on, but you might find the EQ section limited (HPF, LPF and two selectable notches with a Q that doesn't quite go high enough for my liking).

The X32 is fully bells and whistles, especially as they can use it as a multitrack soundcard, but the interface is a lot more confusing to use for a first timer, the fixed DCA/bus section can be a pain when working with a large number of channels, and it does seem to have a few minor bugs still in place. Oh and the VU is stupid, half green, half bright orange, and it's a fine line between having enough output and it suddenly sounding like a fart in a wet paper bag.

The Si Ex also has an AES input, which the Berry surprisingly lacks - might not sound like much but if they're doing DJ stuff and have Pioneer front end, it makes a massive difference in sound quality and not having to worry so much about the DJ being able to rag the arse off the system.

Personally if I had to do a full show on my lonesome tomorrow I'd probably take the X32 as it has more features, but I find myself drawn more and more to the Soundcraft. Oh and if you know where to look, the Si Ex 3 with mini stagebox can be had for not much more than an X32 with 2 S16 boxes…

Edited by toastyghost - 12 September 2013 at 4:25pm
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2013 at 4:31pm
Thanks Toasty

I did notice that on the EQ secion of the Expressions...what were they thinking! Sorted it on the performer range I think. But like you said its very easy to throw a mix down on the Expressions for users that maybe lack experience of digital desks. Few reports coming back to me that the berry although intuitive can be a little confusing and you quite often have to press y&z a few times to reach x.... The multitrack recording features of the X32 are not going to be needed either...

Perhaps you could pm me about where to look for good prices etc... Smile

Edited by Jimmer - 12 September 2013 at 4:32pm
Light travels faster than sound....That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2013 at 9:34am
Leaning towards the Soundcraft Expression.....anyone else convince me otherwise? any more hands on experience reviews?

Cheers
Jim
 Post Reply Post Reply