Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best cart/stylus for Technics 1210 mk2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jngggggggg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 4:51pm
I recorded two signals in wav a few months ago with the same question but w different stylus'

One is the Shure m447 and the other is the ortofon nightclub mk2

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zzpihiwhshpthhl/received_10154431502807055.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i8mgnh99yip3w7n/received_10154431502817055.png?dl=0

Overall I've found that the ortofon has much more clarity on the higher frequencies while the m447s have less clarity there, but a larger db response on the lower frequencies.

Important to note that the gain of the two stylus' are different and I did my best to match them here but it wasn't perfect.

Personally, I use the m44-7 everyday at home since they have the lowest tracking force requirement and are known to wear out vinyl the least. I use the ortofons in the club setting since they give a more complete picture. This is also driven by the fact that our events always have big subs present so I don't need the extra ummmppphhh from a m447. Wanted to also mention that although the recommended tracking force of a nightclub is quite high (3.5 I believe), I run at 2.5 and have zero issues as long as the booth has proper isolation.

Overall though, I would recommend just getting the m447s. The cost of replacing a ortofon needle is not to be underestimated!!!
richardstringer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardstringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 6:49pm
I've owned lots of dj cartridges over the years many from Ortofon and i've used Shure M447 and also currently am using the M44G. I can honestly say to my ears the Shure M44G cartridges sound better than most Ortofon ones until you get upto the level of the Ortofon Nightclub cartridges which sound better. Plus Ortofon cartridges seem to wear out faster than Shure ones and it's the same with the stylus too, I permanently moved to nothing but Shure M44G cartridges about 4 years ago because i'd have to replace the stylus on Ortofon cartridges about every 2 months and the cartridge roughly every 2-3 months wheras since using Shure M44G cartridges everytime i've bought them they've lasted about 8-12 months of use before needing replacement.

I'm not a big fan of the Shure M447 though as the low frequency output seems hyped and the high frequencies on pa systems is quite harsh on the ears, the M44G sound fantastic though, very flat frequency response. Plus about 3 years ago I was looking for a new dj mixer and while in a dj store in Essex I took my Shure M44 G cartridges becauee I trust them for scratching and thought maybe I might get some new dj cartridges. The shop had Ortofon DJ S, Ortofon Scratch, Ortofon Pro S and Ortofon Elektra which I tried out at the time and my Shure M44G cartridges sounded better than all of them, crystal clear, not hyped in any way and a clarity which was better than any of the Ortofon ones.

I'd say if you scratch then Shure M44G cartridges are the best sound quality and they hold the groove amazingly, if you don't scratch i'd say most likely the Ortofon Nightclub E ones are the best sound quality but without comparing them next to the Grado ones I couldn't be definately 100% sure.
Racks&Stacks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racks&Stacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2017 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by dylan-penguinmedia dylan-penguinmedia wrote:

Worth having a look at Shure Whitelabel.

Brilliant all rounders.

A club I worked at tried these, but they kept breaking.  I don't know how as I was not always present, but the best sounding needle doesnt matter if it doesnt work, so we switched back to ortofon.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2017 at 4:41pm
i have found ortofon om pro S pretty durable. not so the shure m447 or 44g. depends what you need from it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardstringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2017 at 5:50pm
Well if you intend on abusing a Technics decks then maybe the Ortofon cartridges are more durable but anyone with any sense or respect for the Technics whether it be theirs or someone else's they're playing should be fine with the M44G cartridges. I mean you lift the headsheel up and place the needle on the record, do some mixing and scratching and take the needle off the record. How durable and durable do you need a cartridge to be? Do you want some made of iron?
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2017 at 9:58pm
Well if you take good care of your stock of technics but you only have needles for rentals.. Then you just want sturdy ones. Any DJs with interest should have their own needles anyway.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2017 at 12:18am

I recall when Turntables were the standard way of playing pre-recorded music, clubs would purposely remove the house cartridges from their decks and the DJs would have to bring their own cartridges in order to play. In those times, Stanton 680 EL and Pickering were the most popular. 

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardstringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2017 at 5:53pm
I still think the Shure M44G cartridges are the best until you get upto the Ortofon Nightclub E cartridges and if you're not rough with the Technics arms then they should last a LONG time. I said it once and I stick by it, there's no need to be rough with cartridges and if people rent your Technics out and are rough with them then those people need to lose their deposit because of it. Respect my equipment and i'll respect you is how i've always been, in the past a few times my mates have got close to abusing my speaker systems by red lining my dj mixers and I always kept a baseball bat close when I did events and told people if they red line the mixer twice i'm hitting them in the face with it and my mates knew I meant it.

It's the same with Technics if someone doesn't respect your Technics then don't let then rent them.
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2017 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by richardstringer richardstringer wrote:

It's the same with Technics if someone doesn't respect your Technics then don't let then rent them.

At rental companies the "employees" don't necessarily respect turntables either….. 

Was once in a bar during load-in, roadie walks in with a turntable case in each hand, walks up to the riser allocated for the DJ gear, swings his right arm forward, backward, forward again, and BANG!!!!!! slams the case violently on the riser, 5 seconds later the other one.  AngryDead

Later proceeds to take off the lids, and I couldn't believe my eyes: Ortofon Concordes and the counterweights are still on the tonearm. The tonearm isn't locked, the needle sits somewhere in the middle of the slip mat. Ouch

Cue in HipHopDJ/Turntablist 45 min later, no probs at soundcheck, proceeds to play his whole set on the rental companies cartridges Confused

……moral of the story?? Just because you can doesn't mean you should……. Shocked
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2017 at 11:40pm
ortofons are the only needles that would survive that - they are designed to protect the needle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardstringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

ortofons are the only needles that would survive that - they are designed to protect the needle

I disagree completely as in the past when i've had Ortofon cartridges a few times the tonearm has bounced off it's rest while dj'ing and the stylus has been ripped out of it's stylus holder and then I needed to put the back up one on. I always carry back up cartriedges and stylus in case I need them during a party.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345