Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

best solar charging system for a 12v system?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heathrow_B_line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best solar charging system for a 12v system?
    Posted: 02 December 2013 at 6:58pm
any ideas chaps?
Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2013 at 7:02pm
What wattage range are we talking? Less than 50W, more than a few hundred watts or somewhere in between? 
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2013 at 7:07pm
i have a 10w system (now a 20) in my little girls zombie fortress... cost me around £35. thats the panel and charge unit with about 5m of cable. i banged on some clips and a voltage meter enclosed the car battery in a box. jobs a good'un!
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2013 at 7:39pm
It doesn't sound like you need solar power. And even if you do, it will cost you more than your entire system costs.

Edit: sorry, I thought the post above me was the topic starter

Edited by lutkeveld - 02 December 2013 at 7:56pm
Heathrow_B_line View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heathrow_B_line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2013 at 7:49pm

well I am hoping to try to make a boom box type system so the limit is size

Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2013 at 7:49pm
*badly timed. ignore this post

Edited by mini-mad - 02 December 2013 at 7:50pm
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2013 at 7:52pm
you may get a 1-5w pannel on the box or... backpack with a pull out (and stand) foldable panel with two 10watt panels. think 20watt worth of solar charging maybe overkill though.
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2013 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by Heathrow_B_line Heathrow_B_line wrote:

well I am hoping to try to make a boom box type system so the limit is size

Given your location is the UK and the usage you'll probably want a thin film solar cell. Either in a a-Si or CI(G)S type panel. Anything less than 4-5W is probably going to be a waste of time/money. So that means you need a flat surface area of at least 500cm2. If you don't have that, ditch the idea. 

Second, you need a charger. Most solar chargers used for lead batteries produced in 2013 and later have built-in support for LiFePO4 batteries, even if the manufacturer specification does not state it. This is due to the typically used controller chips being upgraded during 2011/2012. Li-ion/LiPo batteries are generally never supported by a solar charger unless specifically produced for the purpose, ie. they are generally much more expensive.

Best candidates for low ampere chargers are ones that have MPPT technology to maximize efficiency and ones that have separate load, battery and solar panel connections so that you can swap the solar panel for a default laptop power supply in the 15V-22V range when you want to charge it from the grid instead.

Edited by Saturnus - 02 December 2013 at 8:16pm
davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2013 at 10:39pm
If it's USB charging then these work well. You can charge a Minirig in almost any good light outdoors. 

Or a normal 12V trickle charger will charge a SLA battery or Nimh. You have to regulate the voltage carfeully with lithium batteries. 
Minirig portable soundsystem movement
Aztor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aztor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2014 at 11:23pm
What solar charging would you recommend for a larger system. Typ 200-600w. ?
Arrvenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arrvenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2014 at 6:52am
I bought two of these cheap 10W panels as an experiment to power my boombox, and paired it with a dirt cheap controller unit as well

Panels in question
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/10W-Watts-10-Watt-Poly-Solar-Panel-Off-Grid-12V-RV-Boat-Marine-Car-Solar-Kits/1572472842.html

and the controller
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/10A-12V-24V-Auto-switch-PWM-Solar-Charge-Controller-LED-indication-the-battery-voltage/714165614.html

I've measured mine by themselves and they spit out between 18-22v in full sun at about 0.5A - which is 10W as advertised!
In the shade or cloudy it dips to about 15v,

I'm charging 2x 7.2ah SLA's i'm using as a 24v source, so have wired 2 panels in series to get my voltage up (one panel is only suitable to charge 12V.)

This little rig happily pumps 10w into my batteries BUT it only really works well in direct sun, when the panels voltage is in the optimum range

I've discovered since playing around with this budget setup, that there are 2 types of solar controller, PWM and MPPT.
I think if i was to replace the little controller with a smarter (and more expensive) MPPT controller, i'd get more a more effective charge for more of the voltage range, But for the princely sum $65 for two panels and a controller, it does the job just fine well enough.

Edited by Arrvenn - 31 July 2014 at 6:53am
 Post Reply Post Reply