Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bike/wagon/vehicle -sound Opensource project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bike/wagon/vehicle -sound Opensource project
    Posted: 12 April 2015 at 9:46pm
Hello Friends

I've been playing around with this project for quite a while, here in DK we have quite a few soundbikes made from cargo bikes.
I want to help people making better ones by doing one myself & sharing knowledge:

Idea:
The idea is to make 1-3 standard configurations for the most common bikes, all designs can be re-calculated to fit other bikes.
Low-to-ground
kick in the middle
tops on wind-up

Specs:
I want to release specifications like the ones for a PA-speaker, this means freq-range & dispertion, most bikes are a mess seen from a PA-perspective.

Bass / WEIGHTLESS BASS:)
I've been playing around in hornresp speaker wizard and I've managed to load the air underneath & around the bike as a part of the horn, this means massive WEIGHTLESS lowend extension.

Parts:
Lightweight is essential, we start big first, so we need a lot of power.
I want to use Lithium batteries & class d amplification.

Problems:
Biggest problem at the moment is getting the right supply voltage for the digital modules, a 48V litium boost out 55V when fully charged, that's not good for my modules, for high power I need 90-100V, 110V will make it shot down!

I've been looking at 12V car amplifiers, but they must be made for boneheads, specs are PEAK POWER @ 1ohm, LOL! I always thought car owners were stupid, but well I've had a van for 10 years now:)

Simulations & drawings:
Are to come, if there's anyone interested here?

Edited by tv00 - 12 April 2015 at 9:52pm
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2015 at 10:05pm
Don't know if using the ground as part of the horn yields consistent/good output.

I'm interested in the plans just for fun. Don't know if there are much people that are crazy enough (in a good way) to build such a system ;p

Maybe use generators if you need such high power amps.
amlu View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2015 at 11:00pm
what modules you got up there?
some class d amps like sure electronics are quite happy on 24-36volts  and you can get it easily from lead acid batteries in series...

use high efficiency speaker drivers, should be loud enough...

mr. doom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr. doom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2015 at 2:41pm
Wood is heavy, Use multiple drivers in Bass reflex sonotube enclosures and you will get more spl per lb. than a horn. You will get the same +3db from ground loading from either design and unless the bins are tightly coupled to the surface the  horn loading will be compromised.
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2015 at 3:26pm
Interesting idea using sonotube, I didn't think about that, making it a horn or tapped horn not only uses the air below the wagon, but also all the way around it!

I won't use acid batteries, but Lithium, that's lightweight!
For this project we're loading quite massive drivers & need quite some effect for full power, lighter versions on the sketch-board too, but customer wants the biggest!

I'll update with pics & sims during the week...

studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2015 at 3:57pm
I think the best power-to-weight ratio currently available is the Sure Electronics TAS5630 boards (4x150/2x300/1x600 watt) powered by one of their 500W boost regulators. You can run the amp at a steady 50v from an input to the boost regulator of 9-24v, so that deals with your battery's changing voltage. And at £40 a board - amp and boost regulator are the same price - you can put quite a few 600 watt channels in your system before cost has become too high. 
It might not sound much by the standards of a multi-kilowatt conventional PA, bu given a sensitive driver in a good enclosure, 600 watts can make a LOT of noise. My bike rigs run from the 2x300 boards, one channel for bass, the other for mid-hi, and I can achieve 115dB(A) at 1 metre, which is pretty loud.

Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Sapro2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapro2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2015 at 12:07am
Blimey! What power does 300w / side take? How many ah do you run that at?

Edited by Sapro2 - 14 April 2015 at 12:08am
Splat Soundsystem
Baby Sham pram Soundsystem
Sapro - SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/sapro
DJ Sapro. West country free party DJ and Producer.
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2015 at 4:21pm
Interesting, I hope to run them directly of litihum batteries with suitable voltage.
Other option is dc directly into the pfc switchmode:)
This module is happy from 50-100V rated power at +/-72 V, looks good:
http://www.hypex.nl/docs/UcD2kOEM_datasheet.pdf

Horn loading the ground sims really efficient, not only is it possible to load the ait below the bike, but also the air around it gives more low-end extension.

Edited by tv00 - 14 April 2015 at 11:02pm
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2015 at 2:48pm
Quote I've been looking at 12V car amplifiers, but they must be made for boneheads
Their intended use is blasting 140dB @ 0.25m into the ears of the driver of a potentially lethal road vehicle, what do you expect?
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2015 at 10:36pm
LOL!
Sorry for not updating this, started getting up at 6 in the morning for some reason, strange things happen when no one tells u what to do.
Going to bed now, updates will follow, I did a few sims & found some nice solutions with a little help from other nerds:)
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2015 at 10:38pm
I also think using the ground as part of the horn path may not be ideal for a couple of reasons - The ground surface would need to be solid and non-resonant, so many outdoor applications where that extra output is most needed wouldn't be able to use it, and the whole structure of the bike probably wouldn't be well protected from vibration.

Have you considered using alternative materials of construction to achieve the light weight required? There are some interesting projects around using foam core fibreglass construction that cuts cabinet weight by a lot. So long as it doesn't resonate it's fine really and that level of stiffness can be determined easily enough by making a few test panels.
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 10:10am
Hi Hemisphere, thanks for your feedback:)

I've testet this ground coupling and it works pretty well, the whole city is asphalt & concrete, some places a lawn, but no resonating wooden floors.

I HAVE INDEED considered plastic, one of my friends does some really hard & strong foam plastic, impressive material & no weight!

But no time or money for that here:( -Next time!

I'll keep you posted, I have some simulations, we have to start cutting the wood now.
At the moment I think both sub & kick will be tapped, not typical for kick, but people on here says it works really well, it sims really well too.
AND it's MUCH easier to build, now we have limited time.
My plan was preferably a straight double 12" kick horn:-)
 Post Reply Post Reply