Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BMS 4591 for PA systems?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BMS 4591 for PA systems?
    Posted: 29 September 2016 at 3:02pm
Hello, to everyone :-)

I´m with some crazy thoughts here... using the BMS drivers, tried to find any tread that talks about it, but nothing clear, so my idea is:

1º it´s a good choice using a bms driver for mid range from 500-4k?

if yes:

4591 or 4590(this last is the coaxial one)

have the 4590 enough highs for long throw PA...

How is the distortion on BMS midrange drivers, on high power PA, for outdoor shows?

For Horn, I find the P audio, the JBL clones, they claim a low cut at 400hz, so ~500hz it is possible to work fine. I hope.

regards :-)

Music & Audio the biggest addict of our soul.
NN
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2016 at 3:53pm
the 4590 is a great driver, I use this in many a cab / project.

I would say more like 600hz for the p audio
https://www.elements-audio.com
ndreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2016 at 5:36pm
thanks Bee,

600hz it´s seems ok, any good low-mid woofer acheive that freq :-)

using your experience with the 4590, :-) for example for 4 units of 16ohms, can I power them with a ~1500w amp, in a outdoor show? and achieve a pro sound (clean, punch and flat) from them?

regards
NN
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2016 at 8:26pm
which Paudio horns ecactly? the 2" 60x40 and 90x40 square horns do not load much lower than 800ish imo+measured.. rcf hf950 or 18s xt1464 would be good to 600ish but 1.4" driver required.
limmerhorns have a great horn too that works well with bms coaxials.

re amps, a venue here has 4x 4590s running off an sae pqm8.. no issues at all since 2.5years other than the drivers sounding quite rough at high spl but thats quite normal with those bms coaxials, at some point they start to get harsh/have some serious distortion.

re horns suitable for low loading, i have recently heard a simple conical horn with a bms coax running down to 400ish hz - tbh. it sounded quite nice at lower levels + very efficient and even dispersion.
ndreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2016 at 8:51pm
is that harsh, my doubt about them, 

I try a selenium past year, and they have that problem, because live shows with live bandsour systems they suffer a bit, and having distortion is not admissible....

my hope was bms being different
NN
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2016 at 8:58pm
I think the major factor is not the driver but as bass en mass said the horn in question. The horns I use I have custom made, so were designed for the frequency band I needed the 4590 to play down too.
https://www.elements-audio.com
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2016 at 9:08pm
Lord A.S.S. used the B&C DCX50 in quite a small horn. Same idea, just seems to have a lower distortion level.

Still available, just on special order from your friendly B&C merchant of choice, although my preferred dude has 3 in stock at time of posting. Google....
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
PavelP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PavelP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2016 at 11:20pm
If you really need 600hz -6db the horn must be big enough, maybe something like this http://www.parts-express.com/jbl-2382a-2-flat-front-bi-radial-horn-120x40-4-bolt--294-425

And here's our waveguide.

After filtering and eq it plays 600Hz -3db, but it's huge, about whd 20x40x30cm and tuned at 350Hz. The lower you tune the horn, the better phase characteristic you'll have at crossover point and the lower pressure level at high frequencies above 10kHz. It's better to use horns from one octave higher the tuning frequencie. Something like this.
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2016 at 11:07am
Originally posted by PavelP PavelP wrote:

It's better to use horns from one octave higher the tuning frequencie. Something like this.
We are familiar with having amp headroom, I also am a proponent of having "frequency headroom".

If a driver/horn claims 500Hz and up, consider Xing at 1KHz. Yeah you can go a bit lower, but allows for the horn to be well within its core performance zone, and allows for the BS that some manufacturers spew out, by massaging their specs.

At the end of the day, trying to get a horn/driver to do much more than 2 octaves brings in compromises. Plenty will do 3 octaves with pleasing results, but, if you can afford it, 5 way systems will offer benefits.

For Newbs, an octave is effectively a doubling of frequency, so 20-40Hz is one octave, 40-80Hz, 80-160Hz, etc.

To do 20Hz to 16KHz is ten octaves. Kinda implies 5 way minimum, especially when your 20-40,40-80 box may only really work optimally 20-50Hz, so your next box may need to do 50-160, etc.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2016 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by PavelP PavelP wrote:

If you really need 600hz -6db the horn must be big enough, maybe something like this http://www.parts-express.com/jbl-2382a-2-flat-front-bi-radial-horn-120x40-4-bolt--294-425

And here's our waveguide.

After filtering and eq it plays 600Hz -3db, but it's huge, about whd 20x40x30cm and tuned at 350Hz. The lower you tune the horn, the better phase characteristic you'll have at crossover point and the lower pressure level at high frequencies above 10kHz. It's better to use horns from one octave higher the tuning frequencie. Something like this.

i spy lacoustics waveguides.Tongue
Best regards,
Teun.
PavelP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PavelP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2016 at 12:21pm
Teunos, it's completely different. You can see the driver protective grid there, so there's no phase plug. This waveguide utilizes the principles of biradial horns like TAD4001.
 Post Reply Post Reply