Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boom Trolley

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2015 at 4:43pm
I use car jumper leads... they're the cheapest way to get really thick high current rated cables. 

We used those boards for a while. They're good, but it's hard to get a boost converter that's up for the job. Plus you need audio limiters. In the end we cheated and bought a top spec car amp. Pisses all over this sure-hifi diy stuff but a lot more expensive. 

Have fun!
Minirig portable soundsystem movement
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2015 at 5:26pm
The manual for the Behringer says you can rotate the HF horn to use it as an upward angled floor monitor. That might be best if it has to be carried so low. 

Page 5 section 2.1.1

Edited by b grade - 16 July 2015 at 5:27pm
Porkstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porkstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2015 at 11:47pm
The current plan is to build the amp + booster + pre amp + battery into a case with a micro jack input for a phone/ipod and a neutrik socket for output to the speaker. Later I'll see if I can build a much smaller more portable speaker for holidays that could be used with the amp.

As noted the by a previous poster the berry speaker can be angled like a stage monitor but realistically to get the sound to throw out the mid bass to high freq drivers need to be mounted higher up. Unfortunately a speaker build is not in the budget at the moment but never say never.

Porkstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porkstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2015 at 11:49pm
Right now I am listening to a Logitech x100 bluetooth speaker and it is rocking in my small study and making me question my own ability to build something that is better :D

go josh wink go Dead

Porkstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porkstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2015 at 3:42pm
The prototype is finished I plan to find an appropriately size case and build it all into that.
I think the voltmeter that is measuring the output is toast it briefly lit up then died will have to get another.

Porkstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porkstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2015 at 9:05pm
I was able to test the amp properly today to see how loud it would go, I adjusted the dip switches to the maximum gain and plugged in an ipad directly to the amp it was definitely loud enough. I have ordered a pre-amp that has a high pass filter, I hope this will increase battery life. 
The berry is 8 ohms so I think the amp is drawing less than 200 watts from the booster at full volume. After 10 minutes of music the booster and amp were still cool to the touch and the fan amp had not switched on. The amp manual warns against using a pre amp, stating that it might be damaged I was wondering if this is strictly true or if you just have to be careful not to put to much gain into the input?
amlu View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2015 at 9:19pm
Porkstone: can you post a link to the preamp with HPF? Im looking for one myself...
I have sure amp too, feeding it various signals, from a ultradrive or a  small mixer. watching the levels every time, maybe if you feed it too much signal  at full volume something may go wrong, but not yet for me. nice amp by the way.
davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2015 at 12:26pm
I'd be careful sticking all that current direct from the battery through that switch. 

The voltmeter probably died because it was only rated to 30V
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2015 at 1:08pm
+1 you need a surprisingly big switch to reliably break high-current DC. Get a chunky 50A rated one, otherwise it may stick "on" and/or melt if you try to break the connection while drawing a lot of power.
Also, that's not what I meant by orienting the heatsink on the converter board vertical. You want it 90 degrees from where it is now, ie on its side, and bore some holes in the case to allow air to flow up through the fins.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2015 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by amlu amlu wrote:

Porkstone: can you post a link to the preamp with HPF? Im looking for one myself...

+1 .... buggered if I can track one down ....

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2015 at 1:57pm
There's also inrush current as you charge up those capacitors...this can reach hundreds of amps and cause big sparks on the switch contacts which can fry sensitive circuits. 

Most boards have a logic controlled "remote" on/off connection. Failing this, use a p-channel TO-220 mosfet which low RdsON of <10 miliohms. Just pull the gate low to turn on. 

Porkstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porkstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2015 at 9:15pm
Thanks for all the additional info.

I will try and find the link to the preamp and post it here soon.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>