Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boombox/case build finished!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesleyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2013 at 9:52pm
I imagine the only negative downside would be the decreased volume of the cabinet.

Which in this case, again, is very neat. That's how i'd like ti see custom builds. Well done!

Are you using a 3Ah battery at the moment? Should be plenty for a whole day at moderate volume.
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2013 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by lutkeveld lutkeveld wrote:

Very clean!

Does it make a negative difference if you put your electronics in the same room as your drivers and port?

Yeah, I know...it's not ideal but I was caught for space.
It all sounds very nice though and I'm thinking that all that air being moved about through the ports will keep it well ventilated!!Wink
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2013 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by WesleyK WesleyK wrote:

I imagine the only negative downside would be the decreased volume of the cabinet.

Which in this case, again, is very neat. That's how i'd like ti see custom builds. Well done!

Are you using a 3Ah battery at the moment? Should be plenty for a whole day at moderate volume.

Just a 2.2ah at the mo.
They won't be unplugged that much and I can add another if needed.

Edited by Shortrope - 15 December 2013 at 10:14pm
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2013 at 11:32pm

Originally posted by WesleyK WesleyK wrote:

Strong magnets close to output inductors in class D amps generally isn't a good idea, though. And naturally, the constant change in air pressure and humidity will shorten capacitors, especially electrolytic capacitors, lifetime. In this case, I don't think either has particular relevance or noticeable effect.

Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2013 at 1:55pm
Well these were a great success!!
The kids were properly delighted with them!
We even had a full on Disco yesterday evening with the pair of them playing together off a splitter cable.
Me and everyone else were knocked out by the sound volume and quality.

It got me thinking though...
I'd like to build a separate Sub in another case.
These two could be run off it then as satellites with some kind of low pass filter to knock off a bit of the low end on them.
Does this sound like a goer???
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2013 at 3:14pm
Sounds nice. Build a two-way filter in the subwoofer. Low signal goes to the sub, high goes to your boombox. 

Edited by lutkeveld - 26 December 2013 at 3:19pm
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2013 at 7:00pm
That's what I was thinkin...might need a little assistance with the filter though!!??
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2013 at 10:48pm
Can't really help you with that. I can give it a try though, and see if anybody can correct or confirm it. I would do all the filtering on line level. For crossing around 170hz using this calc: http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/crosscalc.asp#ccc

It isn't precise, but I don't think it will matter much here. You could use dual voice coil sub to get the most out of your dual channel amplifier. The Dayton SD215 would be a nice option IMO. 
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2013 at 12:11am
Originally posted by lutkeveld lutkeveld wrote:

Can't really help you with that. I can give it a try though, and see if anybody can correct or confirm it. I would do all the filtering on line level. For crossing around 170hz using this calc: http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/crosscalc.asp#ccc

It isn't precise, but I don't think it will matter much here. You could use dual voice coil sub to get the most out of your dual channel amplifier. The Dayton SD215 would be a nice option IMO. 

If it's on line level, ie. on the signal input side of the amp, then you have to remember that the input impedance of an amp is quite different than the (input) impedance of a speaker (typically by a factor of a couple of 1000).

You want to build a passive line level crossover then go here http://www.t-linespeakers.org/tech/filters/passiveHLxo.html

Edited by Saturnus - 29 December 2013 at 12:11am
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2013 at 7:32pm
Interesting lads...thanks!
iboominate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iboominate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2014 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by Shortrope Shortrope wrote:

Interesting lads...thanks!
Hey shortrope i like your boomcase ! and i think its awsome , i want to make my own and repurpose really hq desktop speakers i have , KLIPSH ones but im having some problems getting the wiring right , your project is whats closest to my goal so could i get some help with a diagram?

Here is where i stand:

Since my desktop speakers were really HQ , ive decided to use the speakers own amp , so basically im turning 2 speakers into one 12v boomcase with bluetooth functionality 

so my goals are:

-Both Bluetooth and Aux inputs(dont know how to have two inputs since only one 3.5 input one the amp )

- Battery powered recheargeable (12v sla)

-Currently amp has (Line Input,low gain output for headphones and other output one i dont know )

-the amp powers itself from a huge & heavy  square power supply (i want it just to be a normal cable with ps inside the boomcase) with these specs:

INput:120V ~ 60hz 450mA

Output:+- 18v = 834mA

SO: i can solve the bluetooth problem with a module i have by just pluggin in the 3.5 to the amp and leaving it inside the box BUT (how could i also use that as a 3.5 input also ?  )

-and power the bluetooth module thru the 12v wiring with a 12 to 5v stepdown but i wouldnt know where to wire it to!

- As for power i have no idea how to power the board with a battery and ac mains (and switch between them)

-how to dial in the 834Ma output in the Ps You used  

these are the specs fot the speakers im trying to convert:

http://www.klipsch.com/promedia-ultra-2-0-computer-speaker-system/details - http://www.klipsch.com/promedia-ultra-2-0-computer...

Thanks all help possible is appreciated

Edd Jordan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edd Jordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 1:41am
Awesome Build, super tidy and fantastic looking. like mini mad said you will be the dad of the year. 
Clap 
I do a sideline in ply wood wheels.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>