Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boombox : some help needed :)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thekobraa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boombox : some help needed :)
    Posted: 17 July 2014 at 3:56pm
Hi there,

I decided to create a boombox, but i don't know what to buy for components, if you could give me some advices, thanks !

so i want a boombox with a clean sound, loud enought and with deep bass(i listen to Hardcore/Dubstep/Trap/DrumNBass music), the battery has to last at least 4-5 hours.

but I realy don't know what to buy for an amp and what speakers (with or without subwoofer).
I'm ready to spend around 200€

I saw this amp :

http://www.parts-express.com/lepai-lp-2020a-tripath-class-t-hi-fi-audio-mini-amplifier-with-power-supply--310-300

or this one (with subwoofer) :

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Mini-Hi-Fi-Stereo-Amplificateur-Booster-2-1-Radio-MP3-200W-12V-Pr-Voiture-Maison-/201019362377?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_71&hash=item2ecdb00c49

Thanks a lot !

Edited by thekobraa - 17 July 2014 at 3:57pm
Gavos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gavos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2014 at 4:08pm
Well hello,
For that money you can easily make a decent boombox, the ta2020 amps are good for this application but the maxamp20 seams to be the new amp of choice around here (the company also sell packs of drivers and amp).
Then you need the drivers(speakers) lots of designs around for Monacor sp60's so if you want to follow a build you can. They are full range drivers but do a good job on bass when up loud.
Try looking at this post http://forum.speakerplans.com/boombox-case-build-finished_topic83970.html
Might help..
All the best Gav
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2014 at 4:20pm
SP60's are not fullranger but they handle the high end pretty well. I use them without tweeters, although I don't miss them they are a nice addition.
thekobraa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thekobraa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2014 at 4:25pm
ok so the maxamp20 would be the best choice for an amp ? i will go for it then, thanks !

what about speakers ? 2 monacor sp60 will be enought or do i need tweeters too ? and what for a battery will i need to last around 4-5 hours ?

Thanks !
Gavos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gavos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2014 at 4:27pm
Oh...... they sound full to me.
I use them on there own too. No need for tweeters.
thekobraa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thekobraa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2014 at 4:34pm
Ok i made my choice :

amp : maxamp20
speakers : 2x monacor sp 60 4 ohms (i don't know the difference between 4 and 8 ohms, let me know if i should better buy 8 ohms)
battery : CSB Sealed Lead Acid Battery 12V 7.2Ah (is 7.2 enought to play sound during 4-5 hours ?)

do i need anything else to build my boombox or just those components ? and what a whires should i take ?

Thanks a lot guys !

Edited by thekobraa - 17 July 2014 at 4:56pm
thekobraa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thekobraa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2014 at 5:07pm
i just noticed something : the maxamp20 has no buttons, how do you change the volume ? and turn it on/off ? ^^
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2014 at 5:10pm
Take 4 ohm. Playtime with 7.2ah is 20hr on max. Get a couple of meters spaeakerwire to solder everything together.
thekobraa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thekobraa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2014 at 5:24pm
i use speaker wires even for the battery with out risk ?

can someone explain me what is the little "motherboard" in the middle of this pack and do i need this ?

http://store.accusafe.nl/accusafe-starterset-geassembleerd

thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply