Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boominator build (UK)...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2015 at 11:09am
Originally posted by slaz slaz wrote:

All looks very nice - but I'd say that panel really should have been recessed. Switch and volume control will be vulnerable.

I have been using it now for a few weeks and yes, the switch is definitely sticks out too far. Volume not so much a concern, next version will have some mods in this area.

Still playing with the DSP, happy with the time alignment now, but going to try and get a few hours in a semi anechoic chamber to tweak a bit more.

Dupe...
Dupe...
electricpedals View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote electricpedals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2015 at 6:58pm
Hi guys

after spending a lot of time reading everyone's thoughts and ideas, I came up with my own version of the Boominator, which I call 'The Owl' a system, based on the Boominator design, to bring educational films to some of the remotest parts of the world. It's a battery free portable cinema system that is powered using the energy from just one person, it's so compact you can take it on a bike anywhere in the world!

The Owl is now flying to Sénégal for it's premier Cinecyclo Tour: a 3000km bicycle trip involving 40 screenings in villages without electricity. 

You can see it here:

http://www.electricpedals.com/the-owl/

Amp, speakers, crossovers from http://www.accusafe.nl/. Really nice kit and very very helpful guys! 

J.C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2015 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by electricpedals electricpedals wrote:

Hi guys

after spending a lot of time reading everyone's thoughts and ideas, I came up with my own version of the Boominator, which I call 'The Owl' a system, based on the Boominator design, to bring educational films to some of the remotest parts of the world. It's a battery free portable cinema system that is powered using the energy from just one person, it's so compact you can take it on a bike anywhere in the world!

The Owl is now flying to Sénégal for it's premier Cinecyclo Tour: a 3000km bicycle trip involving 40 screenings in villages without electricity. 

You can see it here:

http://www.electricpedals.com/the-owl/

Amp, speakers, crossovers from http://www.accusafe.nl/. Really nice kit and very very helpful guys! 

Not being funny mate but that looks nothing like a Boominator. 
electricpedals View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote electricpedals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2015 at 8:11pm
You're absolutely right J.C., and I bet Marconi would say the same to Trevor Baylis about his wind up radio!

Edited by electricpedals - 13 October 2015 at 8:12pm
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2015 at 8:46am
I can't really see how this is a version of a Boominator, or even which parts are specifically inspired by it but by all means explain it to me so that I know exactly what to sue you for use of intellectual property over.
Earnest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earnest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2015 at 2:01pm
After looking at your wiring I'm going to have to open mine up for some rearrangement!  
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2015 at 1:49pm

Couple of words about using epoxy resin for gluing speaker cabinets together:

One of the design recommendations from Saturnus is to glue the Boominator together with epoxy resin. This was something that I had not really considered previously so thought I would give it a go, here are my findings for others.

After a lot of research I went for a relatively new product from West Systems called Six10 from East Coast Fibreglass in the UK. This is a thickened 2 part epoxy dispensed from a standard caulking gun. It can fill gaps and bond, but does not run. I can confirm it is ideal for building cabinets with, although you need 3 tubes (around £15 / tube) for 1 Boominator so its expensive. Its consistency is very similar to gripfill, maybe slightly stiffer and as a result it stays where you put it.

Once you put a 5mm bead down you work it in to the surface with a tongue depressor (lolly pop stick), once the wood is coated bring the other surface to bond together, slide a little along the length of the joint to ensure good soak into both ply surfaces, separate the parts and apply another 5mm bead if some fill is required. Do not apply too much pressure, just use the weight of the wood. This is the main difference between wood glue and epoxy, you need to maintain a layer of epoxy between the surfaces, lightly clamp the work piece and adjust to square. Then leave for 6 hours before moving.

I have also tested Devcon 2 Ton Clear, this is not thickened and is very runny so much more difficult to use and much more likely to get into places which you don’t want, like down speaker vent holes!

The only downside to the Six10 epoxy is that it takes 6 hours to set, other epoxys can set within 30min so you need some patience.

I built my Boominator in four stages, front speaker panel and internal braces around the electronics/battery compartment. Internal braces (holes) to front speakers and end panels (ports). Then the back speaker panel. Finally the top and bottom after checking all wiring correct, speakers tested and cables attached to speaker baskets to reduce any stress on the terminals. Once the top and bottom are on, that’s it, no going back! I let the epoxy set between stages.

The cabinet is solid, I have never built anything this solid before and I am very confident the epoxy is a big factor in this.

Hope this helps. I am planning on building some Cubos and will definitely be bonding these together too, no more screw hole filling for me. The epoxy that comes out of the external joints sands off easily, remove what you can when wet with the tongue depressor and sand to finish after 24hrs.

Dupe…

Edited by DJ-Dulux - 10 November 2015 at 1:52pm
Dupe...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011