Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boominator Buildlog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2015 at 8:08pm
How did it sound and did the neighbors complain about the volume ? :)
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2015 at 12:05am
Originally posted by Aterren Aterren wrote:

How did it sound and did the neighbors complain about the volume ? :)

If I had one of those I'd sure as hell be driving it with a Sure ST508 module + 6S LiPo pack. Develops a clean 50-60W x 2 -> 4R ....

Would get the police called methinks :-)

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2015 at 10:08am
Aterren, I don't live in a residential area as you can see on the photo, so the only people complaining are my family. I can keep it cranked up for quite some time, but then someone will step outside and ask me to turn it down ;p

Slaz, in a residential area this will also get the police on your doorstep. A 6S lipo gives ~4dB gain over the 113-115dB (IIRC) it already has. For this build 12v was handier because of all the 12v powered things (cigarette plug, led strips and controller, MaxAmp etc). In the future we will be building a Halfinator flipped 90 degrees with the handles on the longest side, with a TK2050 powered by 8S headway LiFePO4 or 6S Panasonic li-ion pack. The Boominator is big, too big to be truly portable. A Halfinator is a lot closer to being portable, especially with a lithium pack. On ~24v it would be about as loud as the fullsize in exchange for half the battery life.
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2015 at 1:44pm
Yes, I could see that you have some very nice open space.    I can certainly see the portability being an issue with the full size.   The NS6 version has proven a nice size for my lifestyle.   It is quite loud outside and my 10 year old son can carry it around.   That means it gets used a lot.
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2015 at 2:13pm
I'm 185cm long and it barely fits in my arm span. I have trouble carrying it longer than a minute. Not surprising for a 81 liter, 90cm wide, 25kg heavy speaker cabinet.

I wouldn't build one for myself because of its portabilty. My friend, who this build will be for, has a car and it doesn't have to be carried a long way. A lithium based Halfinator with a rectractable handle and wheels (blockrocker style) would be more my thing. Cheaper, smaller, lighter and about as loud.
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2015 at 3:00pm
So you have 10cm and, I am guessing, 25+ years on me.  I will probably put some wheels on mine so it is easier to move.

Edited by Aterren - 24 January 2015 at 3:13pm
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2015 at 10:32pm
Woodfilled and sanded:

Painting it with Warnex/Duratex

LEDs still working:

Making the front panel

For the electronics compartiment
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7285/16430980337_087ba7c81e_z.jpg

Tinkering with the electronics layout

Front side

Testing it out

Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2015 at 12:35am
Looks good!

A few questions if I may (reference picture below):
1) What is the device in the lower right?  
2) Why is there a cut out above that device?
3)  Is the power supply for AC operation? 

lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2015 at 8:38am
1) LED controller
2) To slide over the terminals
3) Yes
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2015 at 4:53pm
Nice Job....maybe consider sticking a 2nd battery in that nice big empty compartment??
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2015 at 4:58pm
Which empty compartiment are you talking about? The empty space in the middle is where the electronics module will go. As you can see, it's already pretty packed in there.
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2015 at 5:15pm
I've two 7.5ah SLAs squeezed in plus two Maxamps and a DSP.
Admittedly I don't have a power supply in there though.
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>