Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boominator MINI (development thread)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 102>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boominator MINI (development thread)
    Posted: 19 December 2012 at 8:18pm

Please note. This is a development thread that is expected to be complete in Autumn 2018.

Please read all responses to make sure you have noted all changes to the design before beginning construction.

Please note: the Aura NS6 this build was originally based on have sold out and will not be produced anymore. A new design based on Dayton Audio drivers and advanced DSP amplifiers is in the process of being completed during Autumn 2018.

As some of you might have noticed I've finally decided to expand on my original Boominator design with a few extra models. This is based on the many requests to make something lighter, smaller, larger and/or more versatile. So I'll make them all.

Firstly, I'd strongly emphasize that the original Boominator design should still be your preferred first choice for a DIY build. These extra versions just expands on the concept. 

There'll be a true mark II version which has a new flexible bracing structures which allows to incorporate almost any driver with suitable parameters into the Boominator design. The main result of this will be a LITE version with neodynium based drivers (Eminence Basslite S1020) making it possible to build a Boominator that weighs half the original at 10kg excluding batteries (the original weighs 19kg excluding batteries).

There'll also be a MEGA version with 4x 15" pro woofers (the PD.153ER to be exact) and a powerful Selenium DT220TI compression drivers combined with a compact bi-radial CD horn (the Eminence APT200S horn guide). It'll be massive mainly in terms of weight (estimated 70kg) as it will still be impressively compact and will sports 2x 300W amp for the woofers.

Back on topic though. The MINI. One of the most asked for designs was a cheaper and smaller version. In effect I tried to advice people to just build half a Boominator. But although good, it's not really what I wanted to offer as it's not a true bipolar speaker which is an absolute necessity for an outdoors speaker of this kind to sound good. I also wanted something that could be used indoors which ruled out the overtuned boombox BR tuning that I worked and experimented so long to perfect. One thing remains though: the higher than standard Q tuning at Q=1.207. With the ultra cheap Aura NS6 drivers this gives the same warm sound with exceptional vocal clarity as the original Boominator.

Aura NS6 is available from PE and Madisound. Both unfortunately US dealers but with a price that low and freight forwarder service used instead of direct delivery. It's still a very good deal.

To complement the Aura NS6, I've chosen a old favorite of ultra compact designs with drivers that go up to about 4.5-5Khz, the Dayton ND16FA-6. Available from PE and Europe-Audio. It's small, it's cheap, and crossed in above 4Khz it does it's job very well. It also have the desired very high dispersion.

Filter is a hybrid 2.-order with L-R LP and B-W HP at 4.6Khz. No extra attenuation or compensation circuits necessary. This is due to an L-R filter being 6dB down at x-o and a B-W being 3dB down at x-o. But a pure b-W also has a 1dB lift at x-o, the hybrid takes care of that while at the same time compensation for the 3dB spike in the woofers FR between 4Khz and 5Khz. Remember to invert phase on the tweeters. Use cheap as dirt components except the cap in series with the tweeters negative pole (it's inverted, remember) which should be at least an MKP type.

Amp is ideally the amp32 from 41hz but it might be a bit difficult to solder as it's really tiny and uses SMD components through out. Other than that only a "9800mah" li-ion battery, a recessed dish, grills, some cables bits, and some connectors are needed. The recessed dish functions as cooling plate for the amp as well the point where the connectors are mounted..

Not sure what other choices there are for amps but the TA2024 is generally ruled out as that doesn't work too well with 4 ohms loads that dips to 3.2 ohm. Also, it's a waste to put a TK2050 based amp in it as the drivers aren't really capable of handling that running 24V on full tilt for very long, as well as you'd need 10(!) times the battery capacity to get the same playing time. And a TK2050 uses too much power running 12V compared to a TA2020/TA2021 based amp.

If anyone got suggestions for an amp. I'd like to hear it. Though any ready built amp in a cabinet you can rule out right away as that will take up too much internal volume. It must be a bare bones circuit board.

Cabinet design will be up over the holidays but dimensions are 180x180x720mm built from 9mm plywood. A router and knowledge of how to use it is an absolute necessary tool in order to build this speaker.

Edited by Saturnus - 07 August 2018 at 1:51pm
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 9:49pm
*You will now be notified by email of all Replies in this Topic.

interested in the boomeganator Thumbs Up
lost eden View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lost eden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 9:58pm
Interested. Still got a box of parts under my bed (incluidng a 10" Fane & Face CD) from a boombox project I was planning because I couldn't justify a full boominator, but never actually built anything because I knew it would pail in comparison to a boominator... This could be the answer ;D
roubi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roubi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2012 at 10:47am
Maybe I'm gonna say something stupid but why not keeping the Amp6 in replacement of the Amp32. It is easier to solder !
Zuk4wd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zuk4wd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2012 at 3:03pm
good idea's ,

i would love somthing light with maybe 2 of these drivers:
http://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=LA8_CNMBA - http://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=LA8_CNMBA

why is the back to back design ? 360 degree sound seems not something that i would want.
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2012 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by Zuk4wd Zuk4wd wrote:

why is the back to back design ? 360 degree sound seems not something that i would want.

I don't want to start with Adam and Eve of simple acoustics again. It's primarily an efficiency issue. In a bipolar design the bass output from the speaker on the "back" augments the output from the "front" with 6dB under the summing frequency. In the Boominator it's at 384Hz.

In principle you could just let the drivers on the "back" play bass, and nothing else. But so much would be lost. You cannot really comprehend why a bipolar design with 360 sound is so vastly preferable  for this type of speaker until you hear it. No one who has ever heard it has said: "Great, but could I just get the sound only from the front instead". No, they all say: "Great, can I get the same sound at home if I use bipolar speakers there as well?"

Edited by Saturnus - 20 December 2012 at 7:10pm
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2012 at 10:09pm

Originally posted by roubi roubi wrote:

Maybe I'm gonna say something stupid but why not keeping the Amp6 in replacement of the Amp32. It is easier to solder !

Certainly also an option. And it would fit, so no problems there.

Zuk4wd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zuk4wd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2012 at 8:24am
@ Saturnus :
 don't want to start with Adam and Eve of simple acoustics again. It's primarily an efficiency issue. In a bipolar design the bass output from the speaker on the "back" augments the output from the "front" with 6dB under the summing frequency. In the Boominator it's at 384Hz.

thanx for explaining !
alphabetikal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphabetikal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2012 at 3:07pm
maybe instead of batteries, use super-capacitors ?! ;-)
Firemedic023 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firemedic023 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2012 at 1:26am
I already built an 8" version of the boominator and now have almost all of the parts on order for an original version which should be complete by February. Now I am already imaginating the glory of the Mega Boominator! It will be perfect for us since we only need about 8 hours of run time for our football and country concert tailgating events. I can't wait to see the plans!
tcourtneyvincent View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcourtneyvincent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2013 at 1:20pm
so when is this going to be released?
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2013 at 7:24am

I apologize for the delay. The first two tries had to be scrapped. The originally planned one simulated fine but wasn't DIY friendly enough in that it relied on some very fancy routing. The second try where the center brace was scrapped didn't simulate to well as there'd be too much vibration in the cabinet (power lost and different effective tuning due to lower Ql value).

I think I have solved most problems now, and will simulate it. It'll be slightly larger at 200x200x700mm (length is reduced though) but will be much easier to build and have a central compartment for electronics just as the original Boominator. And that'll be the same 66mm width as well so a 12v 7ah standard SLA can be used instead of it having to be a li-ion battery. This also means you can use any amp you like as getting sufficient cooling is no longer an issue either.

I should have it ready shortly (though not today). 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 102>