Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boominator MINI (development thread)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 102>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2013 at 8:32pm

0.56mH inductor should be below 0.4 Ohm series resistance.
5.60uF capacitor should be MKP or MKT type

Edd Jordan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edd Jordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2013 at 11:29pm
How do you sum your signal to get mono? or is the mini run in stereo and this is just one channel? 

I do a sideline in ply wood wheels.
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2013 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by Edd Jordan Edd Jordan wrote:

How do you sum your signal to get mono? or is the mini run in stereo and this is just one channel? 

The latter.

Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2013 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Pepto Pepto wrote:

Thanks for the shop tips. I will try and find cheap stores closer to Sweden (within EU at least).

europe-audio, intertechnik, and lautsprechershop as I have linked to are all German which last time I checked was in the EU. Intertechnik has an impeccable customer service. Haven't done business with the other two so I couldn't say for them.
Kostecki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kostecki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2013 at 10:00pm
Great project - can wait to see what people come up with Clap

Holding on for the mega version.

Edited by Kostecki - 03 March 2013 at 12:17pm
Brummiejon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brummiejon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2013 at 10:11am
Hi
I know that this is a thread about the Boominator Mini, I am planning to build a full Boominator and as I am UK based, I'm having trouble sourcing the drivers.....

The following may be useful to any UK builders of either the mini or full boominator so I thought that it would be worth posting...... moderator can delete if you disagree..............

Hello All

I am a complete noob here, I'm not well versed with speaker enclosure design, I'm not well versed in electronics but I am perfectly capable of sound engineering, soldering and I can recone speaker drivers, so I'm a noob in some ways but OK in others.....

I'm based in the UK, I want to build a boominator and stay true to the original design because Saturnus, quite obviously knows more about enclosure design and electronics than I.

However, P.Audio may be based in the UK and “Blue Arran” are their UK distributor but you cannot get the HP10W here......

I wrote to Blue Arran for advice on potential replacements and I really helpful guy called Jon Harriman sent this reply...... I thought that some of the readers of this forum would find it useful.........

Thank you for your enquiry. Looking at the available info on the Boominator, the speaker selection doesn't actually seem to have been a particularly critical part of the design of the box - quoting from the original diyaudio thread, "I used 4 P.Audio HP10W woofers because they're cheap, sounds great, and not least because they had the perfect depth for magnet to magnet mounting". It looks less as if the box has been designed to work specifically on the back of a particular driver, and far more as if that driver has been chosen as a matter of convenience, and the lack of a wealth of other drivers listed on the website is more a case of low end-user feedback on the matter rather than other drivers being technically precluded.

The box has been tuned to 82Hz, and is functioning as a straightforward bass reflex enclosure, so realistically you will have successful results with any 10" driver of suitable size and power handling, with a resonant frequency lower than the tuning frequency of the box. P-Audio's SN-10MB, which is also listed as being suitable, has a mounting depth of 122mm, so I'll take that as the maximum depth (both the original choice and the Eminence S2010 have a depth of 109mm).

Regarding the loudspeaker options listed on the Boominator site - we can't, unfortunately, get hold of the Goldwood driver at all, I believe this is solely available in the US market.

HP-10W - P-Audio now only make this driver to order. Whilst we are P-Audio's UK importer and distributor, we would need an undertaking for an order of 12 off drivers, and would be on an lead time of approximately six months from point of order.

SN-10MB Series II - This is still available from P-Audio, but unfortunately we don't have any in stock at the moment, so again we'd be looking at quite an extensive lead time (probably 3-4 months absolute best).

Eminence Basslite S2010 - Again, not in stock on the shelf, but available on a shorter lead time than the P-Audio options, usually around 2 weeks or so.

Recommended options:

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=PAUE10200S - http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=PAUE10200S P-Audio’s E10-200S performs extremely well – resonant frequency of 73Hz, around the same as the SN-10MB. The quoted sensitivity figure of 93dB is actually quite misleading, it performs significantly better than that, and will actually deliver 100dB-plus across almost everything from 100Hz right up to 5kHz. Checking out the spec sheet, the E10-200S significantly out-performs the SN-10MB in many respects, with the exception of the Xmax being a little lower and the fact that it’s a heavier driver. Depth 109mm. Available from stock.

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=EMIDEL10A - http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=EMIDEL10A Eminence Delta 10 – 350W RMS will also work , resonance 66Hz, 98.8dB/W. Depth 108mm, available from stock.

Incidentally, for the tweeters: Motorola sold their piezo production line over a decade ago, and production has since passed through several hands. Currently available in the same profile as the KSN1001A is this:

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=SKT900298 - http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=SKT900298

I note that Saturnus also recommend use of P-Audio’s PHT-407N tweeter. The sound of this high frequency horn and driver is significantly more refined than you’ll be able to achieve from piezo drivers, and if budget will allow, it’s definitely worth looking at. One caveat, though – it will need a crossover, whereas the piezo driver will not. Here’s the PHT-407N:

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=PAUPHT407N - http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=PAUPHT407N

Obviously, this guy is at work and doesn’t have time to read all of the threads here, so I put him right about a couple of issues (ie, the drivers being an integral part of the box structure) and this was his reply back....

“Glad to help. Obviously I don’t have unlimited time, so hadn’t looked into the project as far as the construction details, and hence was unaware of the structural nature of the driver coupling. As you say, it’ll help make for a compact box, but that’s going to be a nightmare if you blow one! In light of the info, though, the SN-10MB doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense as it’s around half an inch deeper per driver. Not insuperable, but something to take into account when building.

Fortunately, both of the drivers I’ve recommended are around the 108-109mm region, as (or at least so it would appear) per the HP-10W. Interesting claim regarding the idea of the magnets coupling – not sure how effective that would actually be in practice, particularly with the pole pieces in place. Incidentally, indoors or outdoors is largely irrelevant – although setting up near walls/corners can reflect sound which would otherwise be disappearing in an unproductive direction.

You’re absolutely right, the E10-200S is heavier than your original choice, actually by 1.4kg. Frankly, I’d say for the extra 5.6kg per box, it’s well worth it, you’re getting better power handling and significantly better sensitivity (as I say, ignore the quoted 93dB, it’s wildly misleading at best). Delta 10 actually a little heavier; decent enough driver, but I think you’ll get more mileage from the E10-200S.

Eminence Gamma 10 should work too, and are at a pretty keen price: http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=EMIGAM10A - http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=EMIGAM10A 

And Fane’s Sovereign 10-125 is another option, although a little shallower, so you may need to rebate the driver into the baffle to compensate: http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=FANSOV10-125 - http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=FANSOV10-125

There are a LOT more drivers to choose from, what I’ve put forward here is really the budget end of the market. Budgetary constraints are realistically likely to rule out both the Eminence S2010 and the SN-10MB – this is a knock-on effect from the  automotive industry using a lot of neodymium in motors for hybrid vehicles, which has largely priced it out of the market fro speaker magnets unfortunately.

Tweeters – piezos are actually remarkably efficient, and as they don’t need a crossover they make for a very straightforward solution. As cheap drivers which need no other fittings except arguably a resistor, they’re extremely hard to beat on the cost-front. On the other hand though, with a suitable crossover in place a tweeter won’t affect the resistance of your box overall – your biggest hassle will be finding an off-the-shelf crossover designed for a 4 ohm woofer and an 8-ohm tweeter. Building your own is a lot less difficult than some people will make out, but of course this may well be an avenue you’re not keen to explore. Tonally, you’ll have a far nicer box with the PHT-407N, but whether it’s worth the expenditure and effort is entirely your call.”

So, this has given me plenty to consider, I still have to go for the budget option because a boominator lite or a signature boominator is going to be too pricy for me (Looking at £700+).  I may have to swallow the extra weight and try the P.Audio E10-200S. It may be well be worth a punt........

Comments more than welcome

Phaedras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phaedras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2013 at 1:02pm
I have a few comments Brummiejon..

1. The HP10w is easy to come by, Intertechnik in Germany sells them and i'm sure they would be glad to ship them to you...

2. Taking advice on which drivers to use from a guy with absolutely no clue to the design, is silly.

3. You should post this in the Boominator thread on diyaudio or in a separate thread here as its not really relevant to the Boominator Mini thread :)

4. Ofcourse there are a lot of drivers that are louder and perhaps better sounding than the HP10w but they come with a much bigger price-tag.. The reason for using the HP10w is because, for the price, you get an excellent quality woofer which fits the design and constraints of the Boominator perfectly.. If you wanted to put a 2x300w amp in the Boominator, then forget about the HP10w as it will run out of xmax before you could put 100w into it.. However, as the boominator is designed around long battery life with small amps the limits of the HP10w fits perfect - as you dont need any more..

5. A lot more can be said, but I think you should bring the discussion elsewhere :)

Happy building!

Brummiejon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brummiejon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2013 at 1:49pm
OK, thanks
markg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2013 at 9:07pm
Has anyone built a boominator mini yet?   I just ordered the components today. I will use it outdoors but also in the hockey arena locker room. Any changes to the design advised for use indoors?
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2013 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by markg markg wrote:

Has anyone built a boominator mini yet?   I just ordered the components today. I will use it outdoors but also in the hockey arena locker room. Any changes to the design advised for use indoors?

Not to my knowledge but 4-5 people are in the process of doing so. No change for indoors use. It's designed to be usable both indoors and outdoors. 

markg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2013 at 9:55pm
thanks. i'll post pictures of the build soon.
EOM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2013 at 6:03am
Saturnus, Thank you for  the work in putting this together.
I have ordered the drivers for a Mini Boominator and plan to get started on a build soon. Plan on using either a modded Lepai or YJ TA2020 for the Amp.

A couple of ideas have been rattling around after reading the Boominator thread.
1) Are there drivers out there that would make a completely waterproof version for VERY wet activities such as Kayaking, Rafting or Sailing where the box might get dunked? The Mini box seems to be a good candidate since it is a sealed box design and small enough.
2) Has anyone thought about making the halves separable? I did not see it on the boominator thread in DIY (may have missed it!). What effect does  the center box have on the acoustics of the speaker boxes and would this preclude the idea? Still a noob at this stuff.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 102>