Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boominator MINI (development thread)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5253545556 102>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2014 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by dman_15 dman_15 wrote:

Finally finished my Mini, well I finished it a few months back but here it is anyways.

Looks great!   I'd be interested in hearing a bit about how you did the grill.   
dman_15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dman_15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2014 at 5:11pm
It's a standard enough build with ns525's and Dayton tweeters.

Amp was a eBay $20 job with the volume pot removed. Powered with 7.2ah SLA battery.

I added a usb charge port so I can charge phones or mp3 players and that's about it really. Mounted inputs switches etc to a recessed dish on top.

To do the speaker grille I made the top, bottom and side pieces 5mm larger all round which left the face with the speakers mounted in sitting recessed 5mm. Made a frame in 15mm x 5mm timber strip that sat into the recess flush. Then stretched & glued the fabric to the frame then the frame into the recess. Pretty chuffed how well it looks, surprised myself!

Edited by dman_15 - 05 July 2014 at 5:12pm
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2014 at 9:00pm
And chuffed* you should be.    How surprised were you by the sound?  :)

*that is a lovely word.

dtbingle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtbingle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2014 at 2:37am
Just a random question.  My mini sounds great, but I'm thinking of rebuilding with a different, more durable appearance.  How much does the shape of the box matter?  For example, if I made it a bit less long, but a bit taller to keep the same volume, how much would this effect the output?  Also, if I moved the tweeter from being centered vertically to the top corner, how much would this effect output?
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2014 at 3:08am
Saturnus has stated moving the tweeters off the centerline is detrimental to sound quality.   He has also stated (in main boominator on the other site) that minor changes in dimensions should not have a big impact.

Ideally you can give us all an A vs B report, :)

Edited by Aterren - 08 July 2014 at 3:09am
dtbingle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtbingle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2014 at 3:34am
Originally posted by Aterren Aterren wrote:

Saturnus has stated moving the tweeters off the centerline is detrimental to sound quality.   He has also stated (in main boominator on the other site) that minor changes in dimensions should not have a big impact.

Ideally you can give us all an A vs B report, :)

Ahh thank you.  I didn't read much through the main boominator thread, just this one haha.  If there's ever time to test it out, I'll post back here with a comparison!
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2014 at 5:59am
Originally posted by dtbingle dtbingle wrote:

I didn't read much through the main boominator thread, just this one

That is very understandable.  The main thread requires a real commitment.  :) 
dtbingle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtbingle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2014 at 3:19pm

Originally posted by dtbingle dtbingle wrote:

I didn't read much through the main boominator thread, just this one

That is very understandable.  The main thread requires a real commitment.  :) 

Yeah 500+ pages takes some time haha.  Do you happen to know how frequency response and volume vary from using the smaller monacor sp60/8 drivers opposed to the aura ns525s?

EDIT: Or the difference between any other alternative driver that has popped up here.  I have enough Aura ns525's to make another one, but if there is an alternative driver that can produce a better response (and keeping roughly the same size or smaller), then I'd go with those.

Edited by dtbingle - 08 July 2014 at 5:16pm
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2014 at 11:06pm
I have not built the SP60 mini yet so i cant comment on the sound quality. Saturnus has stated the SP60 is better optimized for indoor use. It is quite a lot smaller than the mini documented in this thread.

Edited by Aterren - 09 July 2014 at 11:08pm
dtbingle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtbingle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2014 at 1:14am

I have not built the SP60 mini yet so i cant comment on the sound quality. Saturnus has stated the SP60 is better optimized for indoor use. It is quite a lot smaller than the mini documented in this thread.

Does he talk about this SP60 build in THIS thread or somewhere else?  Also, I'm curious if anyone has experimented with an external subwoofer that can connect to it.  Such as build the smaller SP60 version and then if you want a little bit more low end make a separate subwoofer unit with its own amp/battery that can connect to the boombox.  And obviously be disconnected for more boombox portability.

EDIT:  Also, is there any driver similar to the Monacor sp60 that can be used?  USA here and it looks like it only is sold from UK

Edited by dtbingle - 12 July 2014 at 1:53am
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2014 at 2:16am
The original (10" main driver) and SP60 design are both in the thread below.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/-d/104402-boominator-another-stab-ultimate-party-machine-109.#post3988393 - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/104402-boominator-another-stab-ultimate-party-machine-
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/-d/104402-boominator-another-stab-ultimate-party-machine-109.#post3988393 - 109.html#post3988393

As for ordering...there are no great options in the USA, but I just ordered SP60 drivers from MaxAmp.nl for delivery to the USA.   The shipping for 4 drivers and a MaxAmp will be ~25 Euro.  

Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2014 at 2:17am
Sorry for the wonky link.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/104402-boominator-another-stab-ultimate-party-machine-109.html#post3988393

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5253545556 102>