Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boominator MINI (development thread)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5354555657 102>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dtbingle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtbingle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2014 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Aterren Aterren wrote:

The original (10" main driver) and SP60 design are both in the thread below.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/-d/104402-boominator-another-stab-ultimate-party-machine-109.#post3988393 - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/104402-boominator-another-stab-ultimate-party-machine-
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/-d/104402-boominator-another-stab-ultimate-party-machine-109.#post3988393 - 109.html#post3988393

As for ordering...there are no great options in the USA, but I just ordered SP60 drivers from MaxAmp.nl for delivery to the USA.   The shipping for 4 drivers and a MaxAmp will be ~25 Euro.  

Thanks.  I almost pooped myself when you said only 25 euro because that's really cheap for the 4 drivers.  Then realized it was only shipping haha.
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2014 at 12:53pm
Sorry about that.   You can actually get 6 drivers and some maxamps into the weight limit for 25 Euro shipping.   So you could build a mini and micro:)
jkbam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkbam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2014 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by lutkeveld lutkeveld wrote:

I thought the PCM takes care of protecting against overcharging? I was planning on building my battery for the Boominator Micro with these components:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-pcs-3S1P-18650-11-1V-Holder-Case-Battery-Li-Ion-PCM-Protection-Circuit-Module-/151246085523?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2336f81d93

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intelligent-Smart-Charger-DC12-6V-1-5A-for-11-1V-LiIon-LiPo-Battery-pack-EU-plug-/320879811187?pt=Battery_Chargers&hash=item4ab5ed5a73

And three 18650 cells ofcourse. Would that work?

Apologies for dragging this old post up, but I wondered if anyone got one of these 18650 holders?  I bought one and 3 Panasonic NCR18650Bs but I don't seem to be getting any life out of it when plugging into my Maxamp.  My multimeter is playing up just now, so can't check properly, but the Maxamp is working fine with another battery pack I have, and the batteries work fine in a flashlight.  Has anyone else tried these holders, or found anything else suitable that uses 18650s?  I'm also a flashlightaholic and have a fair few 18650s so would prefer to power my micro with 18650s if possible.
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2014 at 2:06am
You have to apply power (charger) to the wires first to activate the PCB I think. Otherwise it won't give any output.
jkbam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkbam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2014 at 1:33pm
Ah thanks.  I've read up a bit more about the PCB, so unfortunately this isn't going to do what I want, my idea was I could have spare 18650s to pop in when necessary if on a long trip, but I'd need something to activate the PCB each time I did this.  My fault for not doing enough research first Embarrassed.  Oh well, back to the drawing board, may look at an unprotected holder with protected batteries.  If anyone wants to buy my protected holder and/or the unprotected batteries, let me know! 

Edited by jkbam - 31 July 2014 at 1:39pm
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2014 at 1:49pm
I thought you have to activate the PCB only once, when you first use it. Have you tested it?
Palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2014 at 2:39pm
I'd be interested in how the protected batteries work out.  I still haven't got a battery situation in my 525 based mini that I am happy with.

I was patient and over about 6 months found 4 Aura NS6's.  Now that the tweeters are back in stock, I am building the NS6 based mini.  I would like to figure out a better battery solution.

I've used SLA, Lipo and now LifePO4.  SLA was heavy, Lipo was finicky and LifePO has to be removed to charge if I want to use the balanced charger.
jkbam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkbam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2014 at 2:51pm
I'm not at home, so haven't been able yet, will try to tonight.  I couldn't find any more info on this unit exactly, but found some on another 18650 protection PCB and it said that it needed activated again after a battery pull, just assumed mine would be the same.  Fingers crossed, thanks again Lutkeveld, will post an update after testing.
jkbam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkbam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2014 at 10:21am
ok had a chance to test last night, pulled all the batteries out for around 30s then put back in and it still powered the amp, so looks good, thanks Lutkeveld Smile
Palomino, I'm intending to make the battery holder accessible so I can swap in spares and remove the batteries to charge them in a charger (Pila IBC) I already own, so I'm not sure if I'm aiming for what you are hoping for.    I've been using one protected 18650 to power a little music system I bought from Amazon a couple of years ago and added a basic unprotected 1x 18650 holder to, and it certainly works well as a power source.  I like the 18650s as they are very light, yet have a decent capacity (3400 mAh in the newer ones), after reading horror stories on flashlight forums I stick to quality brands like AW and Eagletac for protected, the unprotected ones are new to me, but I believe Panasonic should be among the best.
Palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2014 at 8:52pm
Well, my NS6 version of the mini is just about done.  Just need to build the crossovers.  I have them all wired up, but not glued to a board.  I haven't been able to do much of a comparison of the 525 based mini to the NS6 one, but the bass seems a little more refined and the Dayton tweeters are less strident than the Jamos.  I don't have it sealed up yet so I don't know which is louder, but the NS6 version should be.

After having tried SLA, Lipo and LifePO4 RC batteries and not being happy with them, I am thinking about popping for a good LifePO4 with built in protection and a decent charger.  Here is what I am looking at:

I found this battery  http://www.batteryspace.com/Custom-LiFePO4-26650-Battery-12.8V-6.6Ah-84Wh-14A-Rate-w/-PCB.aspx

And this charger  http://www.batteryspace.com/smartcharger30afor128v4cellslifepo4batterypack110-240vac.aspx

Pricey, I know, but I've invested that much in my previous tries combined an not be happy with the performance.

fred7847 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fred7847 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2014 at 11:43am
Okay, back in July i finished my Boominator Mini, so i thought i would be time to post some pictures in here. Tongue

It is with Dayton ND16FA-tweeters, with Aurasound NS525-woofers, a APT-X 4.0 bluetooth board from sure, a INDEED HIFI TA2021, Solar regulator charge controller, homemade crossovers and a laptop charger instead of solarcells. 

In the front it has 4 buttons and a AUX:
1. ON/OFF
2. ON/OFF Bluetooth
3. ON/OFF Voltmeter
4. Bluetooth/AUX Switch

In the back it has a standard power connector. 

I made it in birch plywood, with plastic corners and a handle in top. 

Comments would be great - THANKS! :)

Link for pictures:
Gavos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gavos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2014 at 4:37pm
Looks very neat Fred, maybe add some grills for woofer protection.
Thumbs Up
Hows it sound?

Edited by Gavos - 24 September 2014 at 4:39pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5354555657 102>