Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boominator MINI (development thread)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 102>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
fred7847 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fred7847 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2014 at 5:22pm
It sounds great! :-) both outside and inside. I do like the size of it. Big enought for playing loud and small enought to carry it to the boat, beach or just outside the house

the sound from bluetooth is louder than from AUX, but both are pretty good.

I do have a problem with connecting it to power, but the solution might just be a new laptop charger. (It makes a loud ZZZZZZZZ-noise.)

Palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2014 at 5:25pm
Looks great.  Nice build.  Those fan covers work well to cover the woofers.  I even used them on the tweeters.  There is a size that fits the Daytons.

What paint did you use and where did you find the corner protectors.  The plastic ones I have seen are pretty big.  Yours look smaller.
fred7847 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fred7847 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2014 at 5:42pm
The corners is from Accusafe.nl They are pretty small - Perfect for my MINI :) 

I painted it with matt black spray paint. It was so easy to do.

I will take a look at those fan covers, but I do actually like the look with the black mosquito net! :)
Palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2014 at 5:49pm
I did mine in a clear lacquer to show the wood grain.  Looks great but doesn't wear well.  I thought maybe you had done yours in some kind of tough, textured paint. 

They are small and look pretty good, but not an exact fit and a pain to put on.  If I were in Europe, I'd go with what you have.
enduroshot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enduroshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2014 at 11:23am
Hi everyone, I posted over on the main Boominator thread that I am planning on building a Boominator MINI this week. The NS525 version. Thanks in advance for all the information already posted and all the help that I'm sure I'll need.

So far only 2 questions after a week straight of reading the two threads a couple times. :)

1. In the US, pine 3 ply plywood (called BC) is much more available and cheaper than Birch plywood where I am at. I am still trying to call cabinet stores to see if they have 9mm (3/8) available. Is it ok to use the 3 ply pine plywood? Or should I stick it out until I can find birch with more layers. 12mm Birch is easy to find.

2. The design calls for stuffing the box medium hard with acoustic damper. Any suggestions on what to use and where to find? From the main thread I am leaning towards pillow stuffing. I've ruled out normal insulation (hate that stuff on my skin) and I can't find long fiber wool (or don't know where to look).
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2014 at 11:59am
1. As an alternative MDF would be better if it's not possible to find birch ply. I'd not use 3 ply if it can be avoided. With MDF, remember to pre-drill all screw holes and to prime all surfaces, even the internal ones.

2. Pillow stuffing works well. My personal favorite is cotton wool rolls that you can get in any supermarket for next to nothing. Just stay away from those treated with lanolin or other types of oils/cremes. It's very easy to fluff the rolls up and very convenient that you can cut it with regular scissors to fit before fluffing.

Edited by Saturnus - 29 September 2014 at 11:59am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enduroshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2014 at 10:40pm
Ok, thanks for the suggestions! I didn't get a chance to call any lumber yards today, but my speakers showed up today! So tomorrow I'm going to get on it when the rest of the stuff shows up from parts express.

Thanks again Saturnus for this awesome project. I'm also glad you are able to respond here. I had read in the main Boominator thread that you were locked out of your account here.
Palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2014 at 11:04pm
I used the parts express stuffing. Works well but 1 bag won't quite do it so kind of expensive.

After sealing everything up, I spent some time with the ns6 / Dayton tweeter version. The ns6 does go deeper and the Dayton tweeter is much more refined.   A better overall sound.
pkozul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pkozul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2014 at 11:28pm
Hi fred7847,

Which solar charge regulator do you have in your Boominator? From what I heard, some of them don't work well with laptop power supplies as they don't limit the current flowing from the power supply to the battery/amplifier.

Cheers.
Pete

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enduroshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2014 at 11:31pm

Yes, I wish I had found out about the Boominator last year when the NS6 were still somewhat available. I got very lucky even finding the NS525 I just got. It was really a matter of luck that I found this forum at all.

I very much considered just doing a halfinator (because I thought I wouldn't be able to get Mini drivers), but I like the size/portability of the Mini and it will be far and beyond better than the Ion Tailgater I'm currently using. Its sad honestly. I plugged it in the other night and it just has zero bass. Smile

Edited by enduroshot - 30 September 2014 at 11:01am
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2014 at 6:39am
pkozul; You can indeed use a laptop PSU with a charge controller. Hook it up as a solar panel and it will regulate it to the right voltages, but it indeed won't limit current. It'll charge a small 7ah way too quick than recommended, so use a less powerful PSU or a LiFePO4 battery which allows higher charge current.

enduroshot; I too wish I discovered this thread when the NS6 was available. Damn, such a nice woofer with a neo magnet for 9 dollars or so. I have heard the Tailgater, Block Rocker, Boominator Micro and soon I'll hear a full Boominator. The tailgater is just pathetic outdoors, indoors it's 'just OK' but distorts very quikly. The Block Rocker is a bit better but still not amazing. What I still can't believe is that 1/4 is just wasted space. It's much better than the Tailgater and beats my Micro V2 (1/10th of the size) on all around performance. 

Building the Mini alone is a much better experience than the Tailgater will ever deliver ^^. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enduroshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2014 at 12:13pm
I don't think I've found where anyone posted the final diameter of the holes in the center bracing. It sounds like the diameter was increased when the change was made to go to the slightly smaller box for the NS525. Anyone that built an NS525 Mini remember what sizes holes they cut in the bracing? Also are they supposed to be square cut holes or do they get radiused with the router? It looks like from all the pictures they are just cut with hole saws only. Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 102>