Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boominator MINI (development thread)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5960616263 102>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2014 at 4:31pm
After some eBay searching I ordered this protection PCB: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121293888601?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT.

Checks all the marks, has balance charging, a high (2.7v) low voltage cutoff and last but not least a nice price. It's always recommended to cut power and charge before the protection kicks in, but when it's needed this one goes to 2.7v instead of the 'normal' 2.4v.

Recommended charge rate is 1625mA (~0.5C), but 2A will probably be fine. I bought a 1.5A smart charger, also from eBay. 

Button or flat top doesn't really matter, choose the cheapest. Keep in mind that it might not be possible to order from eBay or any other china site due to shipping restrictions.

BTW: when soldering the wires to the PCM, it's best to do that without the cells installed. When everything is soldered you can pop the cells in, hot glue the PCM to the top, heatshrink/tape it all up and you're ready to go :).
nitrous View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitrous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2014 at 7:11pm
Okay, thanks, looks good. How did you connect the cells to the PCB? All the holders I see on ebay don't have a connection for every single cell, so I have to solder the cells seperately to the PCB I guess?Somewhere in this thread I remember WesleyK saying that you can't just solder the cells because then you'll damage them?

EDIT: Whoops, I found a holder without protection pcb but with connections I can just solder.

I'm going to order cells from nkon.nl so no shipping problems and a nice price. I'm going to use these holders:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-x-Battery-Holder-Case-box-for-1-18650-17650-Li-ion-battery-w-6-Wire-Lead-/171361478391?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e5f0a6f7

So I can directly solder the wires to the PCB.

I also found this little capacity tester display:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lithium-Battery-Lead-Acid-Battery-12V-15V-24V-36V-Battery-capacity-tester-/231217722920?tfrom=331319407053&tpos=top&ttype=coupon&talgo=undefined

Might look cool on the boominator and can be handy I guess!

Edited by nitrous - 06 October 2014 at 8:01pm
WesleyK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesleyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2014 at 9:18pm
Yep, you're better off finding a good holder or have a battery supplier spot weld tabs to them. Soldering directly to the cells will be very hard without a good soldering station and will damage the cells, dont do it if you're actually plan on using the battery pack.
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2014 at 9:38pm
The battery protection board above does not handle the charge control.   You will need a separate litthium ion specific charger that supports Constant Current / Constant Voltage (CC/CV) charge strategy.
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2014 at 9:43pm
Nkon has the NCR18650B with tabs for €1 more per cell. Actually, the ones without tabs aren't in stock ATM, but some slightly 'smaller' (and cheaper) batteries are in stock. Keep in mind that 2A charging might be a bit high for those. Nothing wrong with holders, tabs are just a bit more 'pro'. Holders seems the way to go for you. Strap them together, PCB on top and you have a very nice pack.

Battery level indicator looks OK, but it seems like it's not made for mounting in wood(?). A lot of people don't know how to interpret battery level based on the voltage, so a percentage is handy. 

Aterren, I think he already has his eyes on a charger. PCM will only take care of balancing.
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2014 at 9:46pm
Indeed he does. thanks for the catch.
nitrous View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitrous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2014 at 10:02am
Thanks guys! Are those tabs used to solder the cells? So soldering the tabs wouldn't damage the cells if you do it neatly and don't make a mess of it?
WesleyK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesleyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2014 at 11:15am
Thats right :) !
saxomann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saxomann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2014 at 11:39pm
Starting on Mini soon. Just missing batteries. I just found a powerbank i have no use for. Some good idea on how tu use this in a mini? :   http://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=397E7D1721E7EF74!97339&authkey=!AGir7grqBvwqMJk&ithint=folder%2c - http://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=397E7D1721E7EF74!97339&authkey=!AGir7grqBvwqMJk&ithint=folder%2c

Edited by saxomann - 11 October 2014 at 11:41pm
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2014 at 3:25pm
Saxomann - looks like a nice supply for a mini assuming it fits and isn't noisy (electromagnetic noise that is).  Set it to 12 v and it is perfect for a maxamp
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2014 at 3:27pm
Assuming the currentprotection is high enough
saxomann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saxomann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2014 at 10:25pm
Maybe i should rebuild it. How big are the cells? And is it Li ion? I have no Clue :(
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5960616263 102>