Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boxing Ring Illumination

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boxing Ring Illumination
    Posted: 27 April 2015 at 2:21pm
One of our "Partner" electrical Co. has approached us about a Boxing Venues Ring Lighting.

Basically sounds like their array of lights use linear Halogen lamps, which the EU has outlawed, so they are looking at replacing them with LED or something.

My question is, is there a BS/EN or governing body "Standard" that dictates what Lumen level per square foot of canvas is required?

Typically there is a square ring of truss with a number of cycs/huis (or security lights if done by electrical contractor!), shining straight down to illuminate the canvas. Normally very bright, but the room is often in blackout to some level, which accentuates the brightness of the ring.

No smutt regarding "rings" please!

Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2015 at 5:43pm
Having done this a few times I would go for 400W Halides, about 12/16 of them depending on not a lot more than budget, I've done a ring with 48 No5 Parcans, 4 Super-Brutes, 12x5KW fressys and even 4 12KW Halide Fressys.

Wiring 16 400W so they can use 8 for practice and 16 for shows is a good option and personally I would use delay timers to bring them on in banks of 8 via contactors on 16A C-curve breakers as you have no PFC on the first half cycle.

Install a Hour meter (2 if you have a 50% practice option) so you get your lamp change phone calls and personally I would have 4 enclosed 6' flouro's as a quick light option as unless you fit hot-re-strike gear trays (which you won't once you see the price) you have no light after a power glitch for a bout 6mins...

The LED kit that can handle this is mega cash ATM particularly if you want it camera friendly...

MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2015 at 5:57pm
I have just found a EN12193:2007, which mentions 3 classes of Boxing, with class 3 needing 2000 lumen per m^2!!! (Page 29 of this, appendix A.10)

Basically a 100W COB CW fitting, 10 deg at 4m, per m^2!!

What is the issue of LED and cameras? Sorry for these amateur lampy questions, but I am an amateur noise boy....Flicker, or just colour temperature? Or evenness of light frequency output, i.e. equal amount of ROYGBIV (RGB with knobs) across bandwidth to give a white.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2015 at 6:07pm
Cheap high-powered LED tend to have appalling diffusion so as you pan a camera across the field the beams from the individual emitters leave visible artifacts, add to that the good change of too high a colour temp and the price of hefty fitting is pretty high still, I looked at swapping to 400W Hi-bays and they were coming in @ £475 +Vat each with 14% less light output than halides, even with  the 50% power reduction that is a lot of cash to get back....
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2015 at 10:21pm
Yeah, get you.

Looks like an increasingly ball ache job. My first thought was these, but at 4m, I would need one per M^2 of ring! 2000 Lumen/M^2 is bloody bright.

Then through in 50% vertical illuminance, and things get nasty quickly.

Gonna need some bad boy toys, and like you say, fail safe, or fast restrike, at the very least.

Cheers for your thoughts, always appreciated.
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2015 at 12:52pm
Is any of the boxing going to be televised?
I read a particularly interesting thread about boxing event illumination for TV which I could dig out if it would be useful. Lots of advice was given from people who had done it.
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2015 at 2:46pm
Have done a few of these. None of them filmed granted.

Looked in to the Halide option a few times. But all of the promoters wanted big walk up shows with the ring being dark. With fights only lasting 10-15 mins each we just used cans which could be switched on/off in seconds with a shed load of 575 washes for atmospheric reasons.

Rig wise the best way to do it is with a square truss flown above the ring high pointing down. Have done it on 4m winches before buy having stands next to the ring is a PITA.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2015 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by norty303 norty303 wrote:

Is any of the boxing going to be televised?
I read a particularly interesting thread about boxing event illumination for TV which I could dig out if it would be useful. Lots of advice was given from people who had done it.
I don't know how much would be televised, but I have done the in room PA, when SKY have brought their OB truck in. They tended to sack off house rig, and just drop their own rig in. They assume house stuff is shite, and just work on worst case, in my experience.

If you did have any more info, the more I know, the better I can quote, and educate client at the same time.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2015 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by jacethebase jacethebase wrote:

Have done a few of these. None of them filmed granted.

Looked in to the Halide option a few times. But all of the promoters wanted big walk up shows with the ring being dark. With fights only lasting 10-15 mins each we just used cans which could be switched on/off in seconds with a shed load of 575 washes for atmospheric reasons.

Rig wise the best way to do it is with a square truss flown above the ring high pointing down. Have done it on 4m winches before buy having stands next to the ring is a PITA.

Yeah, there exists some form of ceiling suspended "truss" square, on a winch. However, given its age, probably a lashed up bit of dexion, and will no doubt be something of concern, in the modern era of H&S, or at least from good engineering practices.
Shelfstacker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelfstacker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2015 at 8:57pm
I know this is going to sound ghetto, but I do a lot of boxing matches and I use these:

http://www.diy.com/departments/elro-400w-mains-powered-floodlight/332985_BQ.prd

400 watt floods, 4 per ring.  I hard wire in a 1 metre IEC lead to each one, with a male IEC in at the end.  The Twenty clamp and safety costs more than the fixture.  I dim them through a normal generic dimmer.

I've done shows with up to 3 rings side by side with 12 of these off 2 dimmer packs.  I like the temperature of the light that come off them.  One per corner of the ring, either of 4 metre wind up stands, or flown about 8 metres off the deck. 
If you are at the circus and being attacked by clowns - go for the juggler
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2015 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Shelfstacker Shelfstacker wrote:

400 watt floods, 4 per ring.
They have something similar already, just more of them. Hung of a flown square of something.

However, having found the EN standard, that would not cut it, for this level. For Major stuff, needs 2000 Lumen per m^2.

Even national level stuff needs 1000 lumen/m^2, and training requires 500 lumen/m^2. Then chuck in 50% of horizontal light in the vertical plain, and you end up needing a serious christmas tree.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2015 at 10:30am
The dual circuit halide gig suddenly becomes a very real option.... Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>