Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BSS Soundweb 9088 VS DCX2946

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BSS Soundweb 9088 VS DCX2946
    Posted: 04 September 2013 at 12:53am
Im thinking of the best option for my monitor rack..

I need to run at least 4 auxes, with the potential to run more... would like the option to run at least 4 auxes with bi-amped wedges or up to 6/8 auxes with passive wedges.

Im currently have been using 2 x DCX2496s when i have to utilize more than 3 auxes.

So i was thinking an 8 in 8 out would be ideal. The xcillia ive seen is way over budget for me atm, so i was considering the BSS soundweb 9088

Sound vs functionality vs budget vs space..

Realistically the rack will be untouched, only ever toured with me, mainly with the wedges run passively so being able to change DSP settings without a laptop isn't an issue...

As ive never used the soundweb before, im wondering what people reckon will be a better option for my application?

Cheers :)

** Also.... 9088... 9088ii ??

Edited by Grubbah - 04 September 2013 at 1:00am
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2013 at 1:40am
If it never has to be touched then a soundweb sounds like a good idea :)
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2013 at 7:21am
Joe - Go 9088ii or iis - there is an audible difference between those and the basic 9088.
Grubbah View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2013 at 11:05am
Originally posted by dylan-penguinmedia dylan-penguinmedia wrote:

Joe - Go 9088ii or iis - there is an audible difference between those and the basic 9088.

Cheers Dylan! Confirmed my suspicions over a staggered price difference between the 2 models Smile

Are they quite simple to set up? Ive seen you use them in a couple of client custom racks
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2013 at 8:55pm
While I like the Soundwebs for installs where the flexibility is very useful, I would suggest that sticking with 2x DCX may be the better option.  The Ultradrives definitely sound better than a 9088, big difference, maybe less between them and a 9088ii.
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2013 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Grubbah Grubbah wrote:

Originally posted by dylan-penguinmedia dylan-penguinmedia wrote:

Cheers Dylan! Confirmed my suspicions over a staggered price difference between the 2 models Smile

Are they quite simple to set up? Ive seen you use them in a couple of client custom racks

For what you want to do with it, incredibly simple. Design a file, which maps out your signal path, from whichever input to whichever output, and drop in as much or as little processing as you require.

It becomes more complicated when you need source selects, etc, but for a monitor rack, easy stuff.
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2013 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

The Ultradrives definitely sound better than a 9088, big difference, maybe less between them and a 9088ii.

So in your opinion 9088ii is sonically inferior to behringer ultradrive? Any other opinions on this? Might be grabbing a 9088ii on the cheap -  would be an upgrade at least outputwise (6 VS 8).

[EDIT] sorry for being slightly off-topic..... Ouch

Edited by bob4 - 05 September 2013 at 2:45pm
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2013 at 10:28pm
To be honest I haven't done a direct comparison between the 9088ii and the Ultradrive.  The DCX definitely sounds better than the original 9088 and the 9088ii sounds better than the original.  It's probably a tough call. If you need the extra outputs of the Soundweb then that will make the decision.

The DCX is always going to have the advantage of running at 96kHz whereas the Soundwebs are 48kHz.

There are tricks to using the Soundwebs, such as the fact that the limiters built into the crossover modules are useless, use the dedicated limiters instead.
lgosdset View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lgosdset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2014 at 10:31pm
soundwebs are great, have never had any complaints about sound quality, but I use iis. as long as you have a laptop handy, there is no issue with flexibility as you can make your own control panels, so they can be as user friendly as you like/be bothered to programme.

make up a decent patch panel tho, or have it permanently plumbed in, those phoenix connectors are a pain if you want to re-patch quickly.
Djdarch View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Djdarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2014 at 12:08pm
If you want a sound web why not go for the newer tec of the sound web blu series ? i have a blu 16 available at a reasonable cost . 8 in 8 out and the new blu range sounds incredible....
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2014 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by Djdarch Djdarch wrote:

If you want a sound web why not go for the newer tec of the sound web blu series ?

why not, if you can get it cheaper than a new DCX? Wink

btw, I bought one in the end, here's the result:

app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2014 at 7:58pm
^When will you bring your sound to HKI?Wink
"what!?"
 Post Reply Post Reply