Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Budget Soundsystem with Turbosound

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 22>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 12:26am
The PQM is only £1K, so 1180 Euro (ish) 4ch @ 4r will drive 8 186s whilst asleep, I am not sure of another amp that will give you that BHP/euro...

You could run 8186s and 8 HD15s off the same amp, but I would say if you are going 5way withe TMS (which I did a LOT) just get a Soundweb 9088iiS for starters, you can go London (Blu) later, but comedy fixed LMS kit is a bit last week.

If you have a Ep1500 en Crew, a TSA 4-1300 and a PQm 13 will get you your first gig out the door...

bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 8:31am
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

PQM-13, 3 x 8R drivers per channel!!!

In my experience the pqm13 wont do 3x8ohm drivers per channel on Bass duty.. Mid/Hi - yes
1 pqm 13 vs. 2 tsa 4-1300s powering 8x 18"s - i would go with the TSAs..
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 9:50am
Having tried both I would say the PQM has significantly more balls than the TSA....

midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Futendra Futendra wrote:

Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

PQM-13, 3 x 8R drivers per channel!!!

I need to power 8 total though...  anything cheaper that can power 4x 1440 / 8 Ohm or 2x 2880 / 4 Ohm of which we can buy 2?

PKN 5002 and they sound lovely..... 

We ran a gig with 4 tms3's and 4 twin 18 bins. 

To power the 18's and 15's we have either pkn or Crest CA's. 

One gig one of the 18's was out, we had a single CA18 on the 15's in the tms and 2 x CA12 on bass. Normally We would have 3 x CA18's. 

We A/B'd 2 x CA12 on bass against 1 x PKN XE5002 and the pkn stomped all over the CA12's. Had 32 amp supply to run on as well. 

On HF and we have the same mk1 tms3's we have QSC plx 1602 and on the 10's we have qsc plx 3002.

But I have also run HF from a Matrix XT2000 with no casualties, I would always suggest more controlled power rather than straining with less.

Edited by midas - 27 April 2017 at 12:28pm
In bass no one can hear you scream!
Futendra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 3:58pm
Will the PQM13 be enough to power all eight? Otherwise it might indeed be smarter to go 2x TSA 4-1300.
midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by Futendra Futendra wrote:

Will the PQM13 be enough to power all eight? Otherwise it might indeed be smarter to go 2x TSA 4-1300.

I had a 4-1300, only used it on full range and tops. Was a bit noisy, didn't use it on bass cabs as there are quite a few threads where bass has killed them. 

Still if you buy 2 at least you can run 4 of the 8 while it is away being fixed....
In bass no one can hear you scream!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2017 at 10:53pm
at 8ohm the tsa amps should do ok, at 4 ohm they will "collapse" on bass, as would the sae.. - or kick the fuse due to unregulated supplies/current draw.. none of these budget 4ch amps is really designed to limit properly imo (unless you go labG or other premium brands which simply are more clever regarding current limiting etc - hence might "bottom out" for good reason.. but in a gentle/subtile manner at best..)

2x 4-1300s should def. cope better with 8x 18"s run off 2x 16A than 1 pqm13 on 16A at 4ohm..
get a third running the 15"s + 10"s and spread the loads evenly..

shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2017 at 12:53am
Originally posted by bass*en*mass bass*en*mass wrote:

at 8ohm the tsa amps should do ok, at 4 ohm they will "collapse" on bass, as would the sae.. - or kick the fuse due to unregulated supplies/current draw.. none of these budget 4ch amps is really designed to limit properly imo (unless you go labG or other premium brands which simply are more clever regarding current limiting etc - hence might "bottom out" for good reason.. but in a gentle/subtile manner at best..)

2x 4-1300s should def. cope better with 8x 18"s run off 2x 16A than 1 pqm13 on 16A at 4ohm..
get a third running the 15"s + 10"s and spread the loads evenly..

Lab G can't do Bass....

End of

SAE does...

You should may be use these amps before you comment....

Lab (Behhringer) make amazing ( like completely amazing) 100Hz + amps SAE drop lower, end of.

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2017 at 5:19am
..first 2 pqm13s reached our shores end of 2013..
..off to prepare a gig now using 5 of them.. Wink
Futendra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2017 at 7:55pm
We've been thinking about maybe building four 186 horns and four SBH's. Would it be worth it? We'd be able to go a bit lower, but it will take up more storage and transport space.
Dutchman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2017 at 8:36pm
186 + SBH is a VERY bad idea. Either all 186 horn or SBH + kick bins. Also why would you want 4x TMS3? I'm pretty sure 2x TMS3 will provide lots of people with good sound ! Don't buy the TSA 4-1300 , it's shit for bass. Really, had it powering 4x wbins on a party in Gent few weeks ago, was really not running hard and tripped the breaker. Go for something old skool heavyweight like QSC, Crest if you want cheap and good power. Wattage is really not everything, the numbers are inflated big time now a days or just there for miliseconds. 

We need more SPL!
Futendra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2017 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by Dutchman Dutchman wrote:

186 + SBH is a VERY bad idea. Either all 186 horn or SBH + kick bins. Also why would you want 4x TMS3? I'm pretty sure 2x TMS3 will provide lots of people with good sound ! Don't buy the TSA 4-1300 , it's shit for bass. Really, had it powering 4x wbins on a party in Gent few weeks ago, was really not running hard and tripped the breaker. Go for something old skool heavyweight like QSC, Crest if you want cheap and good power. Wattage is really not everything, the numbers are inflated big time now a days or just there for miliseconds. 

Yeah, all SBH will be difficult space-wise. We're going all 186 then. Just thought it would be nice to have some deeper lows, we could set it up in mono with correct delays.

4x TMS-3 would be nice to stack in stereo outdoors in the future.

We're probably going to buy a PQM13. We will be using the TSA 4-1300 on the TMS-3's though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 22>