Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Budget Soundsystem with Turbosound

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Budget Soundsystem with Turbosound
    Posted: 20 February 2017 at 3:10pm
Hi!

So me and a couple of friends are starting a soundsystem (for techno, hardcore, breakcore, acid, jungle, ragga, ...)

EDIT:
In order to make the new plan clear;

1) We will have 6 labhorns.

2) We bought two Turbosound TMS-3's, that will be powered by:
HF: Europower EP1500
HMF: tamp TSA 4-1300
LMF: tamp TSA 4-1300

3) As for processor we bought a Behringer DCX2496 Ultradrive Pro:
- 1 output for the bass
- 1 output for the LMF
- 2 ouputs (stereo) for the HMF
- 2 outputs (stereo) for the HF

EDIT2:
Wow, reading this all back now was quite the journey.
Just to clarify what route we took since this topic;

We now (still) have the two Turbosound TMS-3s which is powered by a Matrix XT1000, t.amp 4-1300 (which will soon also be upgraded to a Matrix XT3000MF or XT5000MF) and Matrix XT7000MF.

We also have the six labhorns, which are currently powered by a Matrix XT10000MF.

Everything is processed with a Nova DC8000, and mixed through a Soundcraft Ui16.

All speakers are phase alligned using SMAART.

Quite proud of all the progress we made!

We're currently checking our options to upgrade our tops to a more back-friendly and overall more flexible solution.

Edited by Futendra - 05 March 2019 at 7:01pm
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 3:32pm
well for one i can say they are a good cabinet , amp choice seems a bit iffy tho i would say lol id get some matrix xt800 on tops [yeah im just saying that cos thats waht im using] remember they are 16ohm cabs tho] nice cabs tho
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
Futendra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Mark James Mark James wrote:

well for one i can say they are a good cabinet , amp choice seems a bit iffy tho i would say lol id get some matrix xt800 on tops [yeah im just saying that cos thats waht im using] remember they are 16ohm cabs tho] nice cabs tho

Yeah, we don't have a lot of budget at all. We have around 7000 euros total.
How do you connect your amps to the EP6 connection?

Edited by Futendra - 20 February 2017 at 4:21pm
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 3:59pm
where are you and what's the currency you have 7000 of?

flashlight tops are very narrow dispersion, not made to be used as singles, so you'd want to use the 2 each side every time the system is out.

w-bins are pretty old now. not many people making them these days.

read up on patch panels to find out how multiple amps get to speakers.
Futendra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

where are you and what's the currency you have 7000 of?

flashlight tops are very narrow dispersion, not made to be used as singles, so you'd want to use the 2 each side every time the system is out.

w-bins are pretty old now. not many people making them these days.

read up on patch panels to find out how multiple amps get to speakers.

Euros. I didn't know the symbols were bugged.

The plan is to use the 2 each side, or build it up as a wall.

What is a best bang for the buck alternative to the W-bin? I particularly like them because they only use one driver for 2 horns and they are the perfect size to put the Flashlights on, but there might be something better out there I don't know about.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 4:51pm
i have to be honest in my opinion best option for bass [and would work well in your situation as long as 4 in a stack well 2 should be ok just restrict power] is the 186 horn with the challenger 18 driver can get from blue arran if you buy 6+ im sure they will do a deal, i got 8 atm and soon to be 12+ and they do the trick if your carefull on the power in the 186 horn they go down to 40 ish hz  
Futendra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by Mark James Mark James wrote:

i have to be honest in my opinion best option for bass [and would work well in your situation as long as 4 in a stack well 2 should be ok just restrict power] is the 186 horn with the challenger 18 driver can get from blue arran if you buy 6+ im sure they will do a deal, i got 8 atm and soon to be 12+ and they do the trick if your carefull on the power in the 186 horn they go down to 40 ish hz  

With the 186 horn I would need at least 6 on each side, just to be able to stack the Turbosounds on top. That will be really pricey and a lot of work, while W-bins do the trick. I want people standing in front to stand in the bass, with the mids and highs flying over them. I don't want to blow people's ears of with highs and mids...
midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 4:58pm
Will they go up to meet the flash though? Or will you need a kick bin to start with?

Edited by midas - 20 February 2017 at 4:58pm
In bass no one can hear you scream!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 5:12pm
wodering that myself tbh lol the 186 might just about stretch that high will be dicey though i wouldnt want to do it lol just realised 180 crossover poit prefered lol
Futendra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by midas midas wrote:

Will they go up to meet the flash though? Or will you need a kick bin to start with?

I have no idea about the W-bin design, but the driver has a frequency response of 30 - 1000Hz, and it can drop down to 40Hz with 4 W-bins.

The Flashlights have a frequency response of 150Hz - 20kHz. So based on that, they must definitely meet. The Flashlights go quite low.

Edited by Futendra - 20 February 2017 at 5:13pm
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 5:14pm
750 for some likely ragged/abused ones seems a bit much imo
(spare parts are expensive)

i would get some bigger amps to power them, rather look for SH offers on old crest/camco etc. instead of the low budget behringer ones.

shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 5:21pm
I am not sure a 186 horn will hit 170Hz very nicely...
4x21s and TSW 718 on top would work.

As for phyical wiring, you need a patch panel with NL4 to EP out and then some 6 core 2.5mm to the Flash, given the cost of EP series connectors (and wank shaped holes required for the females) I would SERIOUSLY consider a jump to NL8 before you start, NL8 chassis cons are not expensive and if you don't already have ep6 cabling just so 8 core and send your bass and LM-HM-HF all down one cable!

Most amps have ch A+B on speakon A so a simple 3xNL4 to 2x EP6 will get stereo out the amps, but 4x NL4 to 2xNL8 would be better...

I can draw a quick pic if you are confused..

:-)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>