Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building a sound system as a complete noob

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building a sound system as a complete noob
    Posted: 28 April 2016 at 10:12am
Hi!
Me and a friend would like to build our own sound system, but we have almost no knowledge about speakers.

The idea is to build:
2x 186 Horn
2x MT 102

I know that I need a 3-way crossover first, so we are looking for one right now (currently talking to someone for a DAP Audio ACX-34), but the main problem is that we do not know if we can put any cheaper drivers in these cabinets. Are there any lower-budget drivers that would work out in these?

The things that I found that could be within our budget range are:
186 Horn:
Eminence Sigma Pro 18A-2

MT 102:
Eminence Delta 10A
Eminence APT150V2

Are these "compatible" with the cabinets? If not, what should I look for and what should I consider? What would I need next?

Edited by Futendra - 28 April 2016 at 10:20am
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2016 at 6:10pm
Not compatible!

For 102 you will need a 10 inch with "horn" specs. Compare the recommended drivers vs the delta...

And a big and potent compression driver to be able to cross low enough to the 10" drivers to avoid beaming.
https://www.instagram.com/my_modular_journey/
Futendra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2016 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by all bass all bass wrote:

Not compatible!

For 102 you will need a 10 inch with "horn" specs. Compare the recommended drivers vs the delta...

And a big and potent compression driver to be able to cross low enough to the 10" drivers to avoid beaming.

Thanks! Any recommendations for a budget? I don't really know how do compare the drivers, I don't quite understand what differences in driver are acceptable.
Is the Eminence Sigma Pro 18A-2 good for the 186 horn?

Sorry for the stupid questions.
RUS View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2016 at 7:06pm
Maybe tell us what your current budget is ? I'd buy used cabs me there is so much saving to be done !!
Futendra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2016 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by RUS RUS wrote:

Maybe tell us what your current budget is ? I'd buy used cabs me there is so much saving to be done !!

There is no current budget, but I guess around €500-1000 to begin with?
RUS View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2016 at 8:03pm
One thing you need to tell us is what is the purpose of this system eg what do you want to do with it 😜
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2016 at 9:56pm
500 - 1000 is the budget for ... everything? or just for some drivers?
Futendra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2016 at 3:38pm
It would be the budget for everything excluding wood.

It would be for techno, breakcore, acid, ... parties.

Edited by Futendra - 29 April 2016 at 3:39pm
Futendra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2016 at 7:33pm
I found 4 JBL 2242HPL's second hand. Are they "compatible" with the 186 horns?
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2016 at 8:17pm
Why not build some reflex boxes? Start with 2, and try to buy two decent 12+1" tops. Do a few gigs, make some money, build 2 more subs.
https://www.instagram.com/my_modular_journey/
Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2016 at 8:47pm
I would agree with allbass, reflex much easier to build and build upon but amp cost practically double (also less channels) so its up to you where you wanna save your money.

What drivera do you have available where you are?
Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2016 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by Futendra Futendra wrote:

I found 4 JBL 2242HPL's second hand. Are they "compatible" with the 186 horns?

Sorry no, afaik very much reflex drivers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>