Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building Passive Crossovers!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reessi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building Passive Crossovers!
    Posted: 23 October 2013 at 8:08pm
For the last couple of days I have been reading up on how to build passive crossovers so that I can build one for the X15 Cabs that I have built.

But still some questions remain, I am experienced with basic electronics and soldering so shouldn't have a problem making th circuit up and now understand how the circuits are working I think.

Anyway here are my questions:

1) How do you pick the crossover points, i.e for the X15's the woofer is rated at - 45Hz to 3500Hz and the horn at - 1Khz to 20Khz, Everyone on the forums has different ideas for these cabs!! It almost seams to be just a matter of opinion. The manufacturer of the horn says 1.5Khz crossover? Should you always go by the manufacturers guide for the horn but surly it matters which woofer your using?
Or should you just go in the middle i.e. an equal amouont from the end of the frequency range for each driver so that would be 1.75khz!

2) Should the cutoff always be the same for each driver or can you do a overlap i.e. bass cutoff at say 2khz and high cut at 1.5khz so between 1.5 and 2 they are both working?

3) So we're cutting the top freq off for the bass and bottom off high but should we cut the other end as well i.e. use a high pass filter to cut off everything below say 45khz for the bass so that it isn't driven below its range and the same for the high so cut off everything above 20khz with a low pass filter for the high or this all not needed. Does it not affect the horn given too high and what about the woofer is that affected too much been given too low? I think the bass is affected more?

Many thanks, sorry for the long questions, I was just trying to explain!

cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2013 at 8:15pm
so.... tell us which driver, and high driver you're using so.

generally, a 15" driver won't be good above about 1.5khz.. and generally a 1" compression driver won't be good below there... but as said, tell us what you're using.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2013 at 9:52am
Usually I get hold of an active crossover (analog or digital) and play with crossover slopes/gains until I like what I hear. Then I try to transfer the design over to a passive crossover. Cuts out a lot of guesswork.

As long as you factor in the impedance of your drivers at the crossover frequency when designing the passive circuit then you should end up pretty close to the original spec.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2013 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by reessi reessi wrote:

1) How do you pick the crossover points, i.e for the X15's the woofer is rated at - 45Hz to 3500Hz and the horn at - 1Khz to 20Khz. The manufacturer of the horn says 1.5Khz crossover? Should you always go by the manufacturers guide for the horn
That will be the minimum crossover freq and slope safe for that driver but it's OK to go higher

surly it matters which woofer your using?
Yes but ideally a 15" woofer should never be allowed to operate above 800hz so this design is a compromise to begin with.

2) Should the cutoff always be the same for each driver or can you do a overlap i.e. bass cutoff at say 2khz and high cut at 1.5khz so between 1.5 and 2 they are both working?
Overlapping is a bad idea in this case, the goal is flat response through the crossover region and given the rising response and cone breakup most woofers suffer from in the khz range it's more likely a slightly underlapped crossover will be necessary ex: woofer at 1.5k, tweeter at 1.8khz

3) So we're cutting the top freq off for the bass and bottom off high but should we cut the other end as well i.e. use a high pass filter to cut off everything below say 45khz for the bass so that it isn't driven below its range and the same for the high so cut off everything above 20khz with a low pass filter for the high or this all not needed. more?

Yes a low cut for the woofer will be necessary if you drive these fullrange without subs, but if using subs with a typical 80-100hz crossover then an additional low cut isn't necessary. High cut filters at the other end are unnecessary, depending upon the horn used you may be boosting the highend with EQ anyway just to achieve relatively flat response.

Edited by Conanski - 24 October 2013 at 4:06pm
reessi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reessi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2013 at 1:53pm
Hi thanks, for the replies,

and to Cravings the drivers are - P-Audio 15BM-300B and the P-Audio BM2-D450,

Cheers - Simon.
reessi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reessi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2013 at 2:11pm
Hi again, in response to Conanskis very informative reply to my questions and saying a low cut would be good,  at what frequency would you cut off the bottom, the specs say the the driver ranges from 45hz so would I cut at 45 but it also says the value FS is 48hz so would I use that which according to the faqs on speaker plans is the point at which it starts to lose -3db of response so presumably thats already hit its limit so maybe should I be cutting a bit higher first say 50hz? So that the driver is not being strained? Or even higher if in the real world you can't expect to anywhere near that low with such a driver? I always find in electonics etc manufacturers specs are always pushed further than is realistic!

Cheers - Simon.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2013 at 3:10pm
One thing I would add is you should add a high-frequency bypass around the L-pad for the tweeter, as the BM2-D450 has a falling response above 8k, and requires power shaping to get a flat response.
IE for the range 1.5k-8k it will be much louder than the woofer and needs padding down around 6dB (ie wire 4 ohms in series and 8 ohms in parallel with your 8-ohm compression driver), but you want to give it more power above 8k, as its sensitivity falls up there. Otherwise, you will get a harsh sound with the 1.5-8kHz range much louder than the 8-20kHz range.
To achieve this, you would wire an inductor, capacitor and resistor in series, then wire this series string in parallel with the series resistor of the L-Pad. At the resonant frequency of the LCR string, the impedance through it drops to the value of the resistor, and partially shorts out the L-Pad, increasing the power delivered to the driver.
0.15mH, 0.47uF and 1 ohm in series will resonate at about 20kHz, and give a Q about right to effect from 8kHz up.
If you do this, you will get a much more pleasing sound than simply using a highpass filter and L-Pad. It is one of the main things that you can do when building your own crossover that will give a much better result than anything you can buy off- the-shelf.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
reessi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reessi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2013 at 8:51pm
Thats interesting about getting a flat response, I haven't seen any websites describing how to do this, so really all passive cross-overs should be tailered to the tweeter! I'll definitly try that out, cheers. Did you read my previous question just above your post about whether I should be cutting off the bottom for the woofer? What are your thoughts on that and at what value it should be cut off?

Also on top of the circuit you've just described would you also wire in a variable L-pad to fine tune the level output on the tweeter or do you think the values you gave will have nailed it on the head for the level.

Also when creating passive cross-overs I can understand how the circuits are working and the online calculators for the values seam straight forward enought but I'm not sure which order your supposed to do, I can see that the higher the order the bigger the db slope off but what is the one to use? Is the bigger the slope the better? What slope is usually used? I guess they're for different situations?

Also about the different types like Butterworth vs Bessel vs Linkwitz are all shown on the calculators but I can't figure out which is best to use, on one page it says Linkwizt is flat response, Butterworth has a peak, and Bessel is in between the both, so surly the Linkwitz is best but then if so I wonder why every calculator has the other options so maybe for different situations, if someone can please shed light on this??

Cheers - Reesy.
Muckerbarnes1 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2013 at 9:35pm
Have a read through  this book Simon.

Crossovers start on page 145.

Billy Dawg.
RobinMatrix View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobinMatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2013 at 10:11pm
Hmm  ... analogue crossover, cut off below 45Hz?    I think not ... not unless you are planning on capacitors the size of a soup tin. LOL

Basically let the bottom end sort itself out, stick to a 2nd order filter for the bass LPF, a 4th order for the treble HPF and you cant go too far wrong.

I agree with what was said above though, a 15" you don't really want to run much above 1.5K usually ... and a 1" not below 2.2K ... so you will most likely have a bit of a gap .. or a lot of 3rd harmonic in the compression driver.
Matrix Pro Audio ::http://matrixproaudio.com/"
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2013 at 9:34am

Thats interesting about getting a flat response, I haven't seen any websites describing how to do this, so really all passive cross-overs should be tailered to the tweeter! I'll definitly try that out, cheers. Did you read my previous question just above your post about whether I should be cutting off the bottom for the woofer? What are your thoughts on that and at what value it should be cut off?

Cheers - Reesy.

This is why a play with an LMS such as the DCX2496 and bi-amping to start  with (if you can get hold of one) is a great idea - you can try out all sorts of filter slopes and EQs on the cabs to decide what you like before you even start designing a passive circuit. It's much harder to try a spurious idea such as a HF rising boost  in component world. It also lets you implement baffle step correction as well which depending on the size of your cab and design can make a big difference in the bass:mid ratio.

Agreed on not bothering with a  45Hz high pass too, for full range low level listening then excursion under a cut off isn't usually a big deal, and if it was then I'd handle it in low level line circuitry preferably.
reessi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reessi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2013 at 10:23am
Many thanks for all the replys, very informative, will go and try out studio 45's circuit and a standard passive cross-over and see what the differences are. I don't have access to a crossover unit for testing out different settings but will try at some point in the future as I will need to buy one for the rest of the system we're building.

Cheers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>