Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Burn it or Sex it up?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nomercy82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2011 at 5:40pm
From  the looks of the parts you listed sounds like you have enough for 2 G subs, and 2 X15s.

Actually looking at what you have dumbfounds me though.  I've only ever seen DM2 cabinets and some older JBL designs like that.
Building a system in Pennsylvania.
Generalhammond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Generalhammond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2011 at 9:13am
Originally posted by nomercy82 nomercy82 wrote:

From  the looks of the parts you listed sounds like you have enough for 2 G subs, and 2 X15s.

Actually looking at what you have dumbfounds me though.  I've only ever seen DM2 cabinets and some older JBL designs like that.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Like the ideas of the tops. i suppose i could buy another comp driver and make 4 of these.

Not so keen on the subs though. Id prefere to have single 18's to  give me more versatility. Also i may have to drag them in and out the van on my own and I guess the G Sub may kill me!!

Any other suggestions?

Anyone got anything I could drop the drivers into?
Tocooltom View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tocooltom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2011 at 10:58am
You can make single G subs im pretty sure, check the sub section of the forum for info.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2011 at 11:09am
Or if you want singles look at the B&C Sub18 design (in their design archive) or 18Sound have a very similar one on their site.  The L18P300 should work fine in either of those.
nomercy82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nomercy82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2011 at 2:22pm
 A single G sub is actually an easy build. You litterally cut the plan in half, directly in the center of the vent. The bracing is the same there's just a piece of ply making the bottom of the cabinet.  Full G subs are a monster, when powered half decently.  Gotta say that even with a half G sub, the cabinet is still large.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Generalhammond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2011 at 11:47am
Quite like the idea of having half G subs. What do you guys think about having 2 half G subs then 2 Horn loaded or scoops in the rig?
nomercy82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nomercy82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2011 at 2:35pm
in my oppinion you'd be better off having 4 of the same kind of subs. together the synergy of having 4 of the same type will likely have a better result than 2 of two different types.

Also horn loading requires drivers designed for that purpose.  For Example a PD 1850 is designed to be in a horn, vs the JBL 2241 which is intended to be in a reflex enclosure.  When it comes to things like badpass i really and not knowledgeable but I love some bass.

Research the drivers you have thoroughly, and the over all product you make will be significantly better than if you just put drivers in a box and hope for the best.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Generalhammond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2011 at 5:04pm
What do you guys think of these?

Suitable for my drivers? Would make my life real easy!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Generalhammond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2011 at 5:12pm
nomercy82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nomercy82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2011 at 3:33am
I did a bit of digging for you and 2 common things kept popping up a Cerwin Vega horn(the SL36) and a Martin Horn ( the WSX) Neither of these are easy builds

is the CV one. It's going to be of a challenge to build that, but from other sound technicians it looks to be a good choice.  USE THE METAL FRONT COVER though it will act as a heat sync for the driver chamber.

Another formidable option is the 186 horn, which should be readily available on this forum.

Powerrated View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powerrated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2011 at 4:38pm
the martin cabs are very good
nomercy82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nomercy82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2011 at 11:23pm
Martin Audio WSX information
http://www.martin-audio.com/products/datasheets/WSXdatasheet.pdf

Martin Audio WSX Plan.

http://hornplans.free.fr/wsx.html

Just to fill you in, Martin is TOP NOTCH stuff. They did the new Ministry of Sound, club install.  I'm on the other side of the planet and people are talking about that system.

My vote is for the Martin WSX, due to the longer horn throat.   If you were to say put 4 of the RCF Drivers together into 4 WSX horns you will likely be king of sound in your area, unless you live near someone like eletrikal, Rog Mogale, or Mungo's Hi-Fi.

Rep what you have PROUDLY, a bit of a warning though,  WSX enclosures are NOT easy to build.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>