Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buying first van - opinions please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 12:50am
I run a mk6 transit Luton. My particular one is slower than a snail on crutches but it does drive nice. Good for 1.2 ton in the back. When needs must and you have to load up on your own, the tail lift makes it possible. Wheels on your flightcases and racks, and move speakers with heavy duty sack truck. No need to lift anything. Even I can manage and I've got arthritis in my spine.
I'm always getting my mates asking me to do removals for them, and pick up furniture and such so your van can earn its keep when you don't have gigs booked.
100% Earth Moving Bass
WILLZTHRILLZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WILLZTHRILLZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 1:12am
Iveco 2.8 engine does have a belt.
I know coz I just changed one three days ago ( and the feckin thing was almost two teeth out on the cam on the old one)
Will
Djdarch View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Djdarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 8:18am
yeah but the iveco 3.0 doesn't have a belt . its a great engine its economical and mega torquey 

Sinai Sound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 9:25am
Around £6k is the budget

Was looking at Citroen Relay earlier

I've driven pretty much all vans going when hiring them and can echo the previous statements about the FWD being easier to load

I've even unloaded one by myself

The ford seems to have a silly load height at the back, isn't quite wide enough, the distance between the bulkhead and the wheel arch isn't quite long enough

I'll have a 2nd look at the Iveco, but the payload is only about 1200kg from what I briefly saw

It's not going to be doing mega miles really. Probably 10k a year max.
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 3:56pm
Loved my old Ducato. 2.8 Turbo had bags of torque and was surprisingly frugal on juice when in traffic or on the open road. Couldn't fault it. However LEZ killed it, as didn't meet emissions on paper.

Currently got an Iveco 35S12. High load deck, but this weekend picked up my new Yacht in the back from Leicester to J26 of M25!! 6m Mast on roof rack, and all good. Superb turning circle, but RWD can make for some interesting wet roundabouts, and makes the rear load deck high, so you will need at least a 7ft ramp....Rear leaf spring suspension is a bit archaic, but works well enough.

However, with any thing, if you ever have to drive somewhere big (Deffo London, eventually Manchester/Birmingham?) check about the various emission charges that are coming in. T charge, which is £10ish in addition to C charge on any diesel that is less than Euro 6, i.e. anything older than about 2012/13 could be a pain. Then the increase of the scope of the ULEZ will mean any Diesel over 5 years old will be written off inside the M25/Zone 1, depending on how they implement it.

Petrol vans are few are far between, and haven't got the torque for hauling loads. Some scudos were made in petrol, so you could LPG, but scudos are only plated to around 2.5T max IIRC. Most other petrol vans are only designed for Postman Pat....However, a Euro 4 petrol, i.e. first reg 1st Jan 2005 and newer will be except from T Charge. 

My 3.2l V6 Alfa 166 was first registered on the 1st jan 2005 - T Charge exempt!!!! My Wifes 2011 159 2.0 JTDm (diesel as, insignia CRDTi) will pay t Charge. Go figure?
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by MattStolton MattStolton wrote:

Petrol vans are few are far between, and haven't got the torque for hauling loads.

Ah!  Back to the 70s and the 3-litre V6 petrol transits that the bobbies used to have :)

They were rather quick IIRC

It's a difficult choice, would you rather have:

A: A vegan son.
B: An OnlyFans daughter
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by BJtheDJ BJtheDJ wrote:

Petrol vans are few are far between, and haven't got the torque for hauling loads.

Ah!  Back to the 70s and the 3-litre V6 petrol transits that the bobbies used to have :)

<div ="itanywhere-activator" title="Google Translator Anywhere" style="left: 480px; top: 209px; display: none;">

I might still have pictures of my old mk 3 transit that I put a 3 litre Essex v6 into. Fastest van I've ever driven! Would do silly speeds and smoke it's back tyres all the way down the road when empty.
100% Earth Moving Bass
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by GAZ. GAZ. wrote:

<div ="itanywhere-activator" title="Google Translator Anywhere" style="left: 480px; top: 209px; display: none;">

I might still have pictures of my old mk 3 transit that I put a 3 litre Essex v6 into. Fastest van I've ever driven! Would do silly speeds and smoke it's back tyres all the way down the road when empty.

Apparently Top Gear said, a few years back, that 90% of 70s blags had V6 transits as the getaway vehicles - personally I thought that it was generally MkII Jags that I saw being chased back in the 70s LOL

Edited by BJtheDJ - 08 June 2017 at 6:56pm
It's a difficult choice, would you rather have:

A: A vegan son.
B: An OnlyFans daughter
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 7:27pm
This:

But not too much room left for gear!  LOL

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 8:36pm

I can remember as a kid going in a mk2 Transit that had been fitted with a 3.0 Essex from a Capri, the rear wheels spinning and the look on peoples faces as this ratty old van came hammering past them are the things that have stayed in my memory. Big smile
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 10:28pm
I had a big exhaust with just the one back box and a 38dgas Weber carb with a K&N filter so it sounded like an animal! Used to surprise a lot of people when they couldn't keep up with a rusty battered old transit. I put v6 Mk2 Granada clocks in so I had a bigger speedometer although it was amusing showing people the needle going all the way off the end and starting again with the standard one.
I do miss that van, well the sound and the power of it, the Luton I've got now is way better in every other way.
I kept the engine when I scrapped it, still in my workshop waiting to be put in something else one day!
100% Earth Moving Bass
midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2017 at 12:58pm
Back to vans.... Sorry fellow old gits...

If you intend to tow, I would suggest you get a rear wheel drive.
In bass no one can hear you scream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>