Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cab finish/paint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackSad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cab finish/paint
    Posted: 24 February 2017 at 10:14pm
Hi Guys.

can anyone recommend a good quality stain/wax that leaves a good protective coating. 

I'm looking for something that leaves a similar finish to linseed oil. something that really brings out the grain of the ply. 

I had planned to use lindseed but on further research i found out that it doesnt dry very tough and being oil based, may actually encourage the growth of mildew in the wood.

or am i just dreaming and cab paint is the only suitable thing?

Thanks people 
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2017 at 12:42am
Teak oil is perhaps a better alternative to boiled linseed, however neither does much for protecting the surface from knocks and dirt.

If you want it uncoloured, I'd suggest you seal your sanded wood with shellac first, then either beeswax/French polish, or use a Ronseal type polyurethane varnish if you're ever going to use it.

Woodstain, before or instead of shellac, can add colour from subtle tones to bright primary shades: Hannants have a good range, particularly their colours.

Expect lots of sanding beforehand and between every coat of varnish. Use lot of coats of varnish. Buy an orbital sander. And more sandpaper. And a mask/extractor. And a very good brush.

But it will look better.

Edited by I-shen Soundboy - 25 February 2017 at 1:43am
BlackSad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackSad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2017 at 7:01am
Thanks I-Shen. 

I'll give it  shot. 

Will throw up a pic when finished if i remember too.
eyeT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyeT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2017 at 10:53am
I use this where I am, mainly as a protective coating but it looks good also
 https://www.asianpaints.com/product/wood-finishes.woodtech-melamyne.html
 a two part clear coat(varnish base & hardener). The first one or two coats soak straight into the wood bringing out the grain and  making it very tough. With enough prep' and sanding between coats it will produce a very respectable finish. You can stain the wood first if needed. If you can find like this where you are it's a good option.
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 10:32am
Have a look at this:-

https://www.restexpress.co.uk/acatalog/Rustins_Plastic_Coating.html?gclid=CICk3bng0NICFYu6GwodRkgPVg

It's a 2 part clear finish and very hard wearing. Also high build so doesn't require too many coats and each coat dries quite quickly. Using a combination of steel wool and the burnishing cream you can get any finish from matt to a high gloss (piano finish).

You can use T-Cut if you run out of burnishing cream. Only down side is WATCH THE FUMES. Good quality ma sk required.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 3:49pm
Mmm, brushable two-pack, very nice find, thanks.

Edited by I-shen Soundboy - 12 March 2017 at 3:51pm
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 9:09pm
Never tried it on speakers but when I did the oak floor in my pub I used a water based sealer called Bonakemi we applied it with a sponge (it was a big floor) it's very easy to apply and set's really quick and you could beat it with a hammer and it didn't seem to mark it at all. 
not that cheap though at about 70 quid for a gallon but a gallon would last forever it goes a very long way.

Edited by colint - 12 March 2017 at 9:10pm
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
 Post Reply Post Reply