Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cabinet desgin clarification ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote streekz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cabinet desgin clarification ?
    Posted: 25 April 2016 at 11:00pm
Hey there fellow SP's
I was wondering if anyone could clarify if i can use WinISD to select a better driver for this 15" box design Or will i need to use hornresp ?  i've only really started to learn/Practise on WinISD recently.

Its very rough sketch of the cabinet (just to get the idea)
  Many thanks for reading

Edited by streekz - 25 April 2016 at 11:02pm
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2016 at 11:06pm
You might need to explain the concept for it because at a first glance I can't really see what you're trying to achieve with it.  Is this a new design or is it already built?
streekz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote streekz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2016 at 7:30am
thanks alot its a DAP audio SM-15B
i cant seem to find any specs of it
i bought them thinking they were standard ported boxes with the idea to upgrade the drivers using WinISD as a project , eventually to be used above our 18" subs for upper bass/low mid    
im not sure if you class the vent as a standard port or is it a hybrid because of the tapering
regards

Edited by streekz - 26 April 2016 at 8:20am
streekz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote streekz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2016 at 8:32am

best pictures i could take
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2016 at 9:17am
How does it sound?
I assume that the "horn" is expanding being smallest at the throat? (unlike the drawing)
You can sim this with hornresp:
-first part is placement / amp
-second part is horn sections made up by cross sectional areas & length between these.
-third is driver specs.
-Last is rear/front chamber
You have to choose a menu option for rearloaded / tapped
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
streekz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote streekz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2016 at 3:41pm
Ive only tested/listened to it at home connected to a channel of my hifi amp via the upper bass/mid output of our Pre-amp. It sounds ok but have not tested properly with all our PA Amps in a room/venue.
 Yes, expanding from throat as far as im aware The sketch ive drawn was to show the port/horn shape from a side view so you could see if it was a horn or port. It wasn't a very accurate drawing.
I may have a problem then as ive never even tried to use Hornresp yet Confused
I thought myself when looking at the cabinet it may not be a straight forward BR cabinet

I may have to enlist the help of someone to aid me or start to see if i can understand Hornresp

I will take driver out and get as accurate measurements as i can 

Thanks

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2016 at 9:09pm
It makes a lot more sense from the photo because on your drawing it wasn't clear which was the front of the cabinet!

You probably can get a close enough simulation using Hornresp.  It's a bit of a hybrid between a reflex and a scoop really.  More of a long port than any kind of horn though.
streekz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote streekz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2016 at 12:07am
many thanks for confirming my gut feeling
i suppose the next question is if i use the forums sticky on the hornresp guide will i be able to understand how input the details correctly from my measurments i take from box, meaning is the guide written from a perspective of designing a horn from scratch, not the way im trying to do it
As you can tell ive never really used hornresp and wondering if its a bit too complicated
i love building em not so confident at the designing them

Edited by streekz - 27 April 2016 at 12:08am
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2016 at 8:21pm
I've just update the sticky (here and there). You should be able to simulate the DAP as an "hybrid".

Johan
streekz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote streekz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2016 at 10:05am
Many Thanks
i will try and see if i can get my head round it
could anyone tell me, or better still mark out on my sketch  how best to split the rear horn/port so i can take the measurements.
Do i split horn into three sections as it starts from the throat as in my picture ?
Or am i coming at it all wrong ?
Regards

tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2016 at 10:13am
Looks fine, but remember the front, often people take "phantom horn" into account, this is what extends on the floor, a bit confusing, read last paragraph here:
http://speakerplans.com/index.php?id=faq14

www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
streekz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote streekz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2016 at 1:18pm
Thanks
I'll give it read
im a bit confused myself if take the measurement of whole area as it comes from the mouth  to the tapering towards the front facing speaker
or do i just take the measurement like this sketch and ignore the part infront of speaker ?
does that section ive marked in blue still contribute to the horn ?
Regards

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>