Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carpet in Bass Boxes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carpet in Bass Boxes
    Posted: 07 July 2006 at 3:37pm
I remember back in the day, many speaker boxes had carpet in them, I've noticed that carpet is not used nowadays.

Does using carpet inside a bass box stapled to each panel dampen the sound ?

Wouldn't the low frequencies sound better bouncing off the raw wood ?

I'm asking as I saw a mate of mine has a bass box (proper scoop) & he said it came with carpet inside & even down half way of the slope.

Hope you don't think this is a stupid question....

I still see sponge in ported boxes, but don't know why.

Cheers Gents.

mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2006 at 11:25pm
would that have been sponge backed carpet?

sound doesn't like hard surfaces

jacket and duvet lining is what you want, it looks like white rockwall,
known in the trade as "wadding"

and egg box foam is even better but more expensive

i always find that lining reflex cabs is good, but sometimes in a folded horn situation it takes the edge (punch) off the sound, in a bad way

wadding gives the driver the impression that it's in a bigger box than what it is, when the sound from the cone travels to the rear of the cab it will slow down slightly when it pass's through the wadding, telling it that its in a bigger cab, and also stops  reflexion's bouncing off the interior wall's

imagine doing a gig in a tiled room (turkish bath), the sound would bounce all over the place,  then do a gig in the same room with the wall's carpeted, the sound would stop dead when it hit the wall's and would sound much better

this is why all recording studio's have egg box foam and carpeted wall's

you said your friend carpeted half way down the scoop? wouldn't bother

maybe some one could explain it a little better than me

Edited by mykey - 07 July 2006 at 11:42pm
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2006 at 11:51pm
Yeah only the rear chamber should have wadding in it. Not the flare of the scoop otherwise it impairs its operation and behaves like a transmission line almost but not quite as thats stuffed in the entire horn including the chamber and the flare.

Edited by ToXiC - 07 July 2006 at 11:51pm
mans1000 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mans1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2006 at 5:10am
Never heard of carpet in a scoop before
"The earth provides enough to satisfy every mans needs...but not every mans greed."
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2006 at 5:58am
Thanks a lot gents...

Toxic, when you say rear chamber, I expect you mean like where the red line is in the following diagram ?

mans1000 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mans1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2006 at 7:33am
yep
"The earth provides enough to satisfy every mans needs...but not every mans greed."
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2006 at 11:34am
I have seen reggae sound systems use bits of carpet in between cabs. Maybe to stop them sliding about under heavy vibrations.

Edited by ToXiC - 18 July 2006 at 11:34am
 Post Reply Post Reply