Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cheap RTA Setup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sureal25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheap RTA Setup
    Posted: 27 April 2015 at 7:42pm
Was trying to search for posts related but i couldn't find any.
Im used to using a Klark Teknik DN6000 with a K/T mic, (friends setup) but unfortunatly its being used at another event.
Any cheap setups anyone can suggest for pink noise and RTA with mic please.

Thanks

Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2015 at 11:51pm
Hi.

The cheapest method would be using a your computer. You can download Room EQ Wizard which, is a free Spectrum Analyzer and, purchase a USB measurement microphone.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2015 at 10:27am
I use SPLnFFT for iOS, it is quick probably not that accurate (but I wouldn't like to put a DN6000 up against a HP analyser) my use of RTA is to compare thing not to measure them, so I am not too fussed about having a mic which a verifiable calibration track to the national Physics laboratory..
I have Sabines that do RTA and have a Behringer ECM-8000 (last used on a Violin Sleepy) but I don't use an RTA as much more than a guide, your ears have to take over at a point or Smaart for setting up installs etc...

snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2015 at 3:32pm
behringer ultracurve is a lot cheaper than KT DN6000 if you want a rack-mount unit rather than laptop
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2015 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

I use SPLnFFT for iOS, it is quick probably not that accurate (but I wouldn't like to put a DN6000 up against a HP analyser) my use of RTA is to compare thing not to measure them, so I am not too fussed about having a mic which a verifiable calibration track to the national Physics laboratory..
I have Sabines that do RTA and have a Behringer ECM-8000 (last used on a Violin Sleepy) but I don't use an RTA as much more than a guide, your ears have to take over at a point or Smaart for setting up installs etc...

I'm struggling to find the link now but a proper white paper was done not so long ago and iOS RTA apps are usually as accurate as anything else you'd normally use.
sureal25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sureal25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2015 at 10:33pm
Thanks for the suggestions, I might have to consider buying my own ultracurve or something similar of my own.

bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2015 at 12:21am
Why hardware?
Get a usb mic, and not only is there decent free software (REW) but you can use usb mics with iPads via camera connection kit
sureal25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sureal25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2015 at 12:45am
setting up 2 or 3 stages or more and delay stacks and monitor boths, something quick to carry around without having to haul laptops, mic stands etc would be ideal.
do i really need to sell my soul to apple for an ipad???

shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2015 at 12:48am
No selling your soul, much as OsX users are non-achieving window lickers, iPad is the back bone of remotes for pro audio, consider it an investment, poverty pads are great for kids but iPad is a handy thing to have...
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2015 at 8:43am
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

No selling your soul, much as OsX users are non-achieving window lickers, iPad is the back bone of remotes for pro audio, consider it an investment, poverty pads are great for kids but iPad is a handy thing to have...

Sadly agreed
It's everything, not everythink!
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2015 at 2:46pm
hey

yeah there are some good apps for iPad if you just want an RTA and you can get little calibrated mic's such as http://www.storkz.com/dayton-audio-imm-6.html

While that would give you a decent, fairly accurate system that you could pink with, in terms of getting delays and things don't know if that'd work as well, much more accurate to do that with a dual channel analyser like Smaart or Systune.

k

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2015 at 2:54pm
AudioTools for iOS has a pretty good delay finder tool that you can use in a pinch, it's almost as good as any other impulse based result I've come across to be frank!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>