Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chevin A2000 Schematic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poddack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chevin A2000 Schematic
    Posted: 28 February 2015 at 11:34am
Hello, I have a Chevin A2000 on my bench and channel B clip LED is constantly on.
I have the A6000 schematic which seems to confirm there is no problem on the amplifier PCB.
Does anyone have a schematic for the A2000 front PCB please?

Thanks

Michael
simonp1100 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonp1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2015 at 12:54pm
If the clip light is off when powered up & then with a signal connected and a very small turn of the volume pot makes it light up then usually that is a tell tell sign of FET failure on that channel, also check the fans as well as the fan circuit (not the most brilliant circuit design), if the clip light is lighting up on power up and the amplifier is running fine, then check the diodes on the front PCB board around channel B clip circuit. Hope this helps.

Thumbs Up
cameron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2015 at 1:13pm
Hi my name is Cameron Jenner ,
                                                 I run the world wide Chevin Research repair service www.chevinresearch.co.uk 07889252455 . you do not have a genuine A6000 drawing as it does not exist . The A6000 is in fact 2 x A3000 Mono Blocks !!! I have the origional set of drawings from the Chevin research Factory and these have never been in circulation . I also have all the build and test equipment from when the amplifiers were hand built in uk .
You should check what fets are installed in the A2000 If they have a colour assighned to them then they are graded . You only need  1 duff unit to cause the problem you are describing . If this is the case you need to examine each fet and establish which units are bad and replace with the matched colour or you will have more trouble .
I am happy to help you with this and supply you with the origional parts as required .
I belive that these amplifiers are still superior to anything available today even though they are nearly 20yrs old in design and I will help out anyone who needs it.

Kind regards
Cameron Jenner

Edited by cameron - 28 February 2015 at 1:14pm
poddack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poddack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2015 at 2:07pm
Hello Simonp,
The clip LED is always on, regardless of signal input. I have stripped the unit down (for cleaning) and took that opportunity to check every FET which I believe to be ok.
The fan circuit is also ok and the fans too.
When a signal is fed the "clip" channel is much quieter than the other.

Hello Cameron,
Please accept my apologies, the schematic I have has every page marked A6000. A6000 power supply, A6000 front board schematic etc. I managed to find it by a bit of googling and for the many Chevins with other faults have been invaluable. I may be contacting you for spares.

Channel A clip circuit appears to work off the +B rail and the B clip circuit appears to work off the -B rail so the front board schematic for the A6000 is no use.

I will be looking at those diodes and re-checking the fan circuit as looking at the design, an imbalance between the two -B rails look like it could cause some grief, however an A2000 front board schematic would still be lovely.

Where in Bristol are you Simonp? Michael 07973 768894.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonp1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2015 at 2:22pm
Hi Michael,

It still does sound like a FET problem, how did you check the FET's ????, the best way is to de-solder the gate & drain connections on all the FET's on the faulty side, check one pair with a FET tester and then re-solder and try the amplifier on a small load and check the clip light again, if the fault goes then a faulty FET is the problem. I usually do this and check every FET with a MOSFET tester and then re-solder one at a time when they test o.k., when the amplifier has a signal feed into it does channel B sound distorted in any way ?????.

I have had a Chevin in for repair when the clip lights came on (both), but the amplifier worked o.k. and then after about 5 minutes the faded and went out, i checked every part of the clip circuit and just found it was down to humidity.

I am based in Brislington. Please send me a PM and i will foward diagrams.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by simonp1100 - 28 February 2015 at 2:24pm
poddack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poddack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2015 at 2:30pm
Hello Simon,
Will look again, are you the chap who sent Kamal my way?

Michael
cameron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2015 at 2:36pm
Hi
  I would be able to fix this for you in 5 mins . The channel is protected for a reason .Either there is dc at the output or you have a failed output transistor . Without a scope prodding around with a multimeter you will be there all day and still will probably not get anywhere. This is why people complain about the amplifiers because they do not have the facilitys to diagnose and test in the correct way ...
Usually the fans die the amps overheat and fet out , but this is due to a lack of maintenance . The fan circuit will not cause the protect light to illuminate .
You can check the fets with a multimeter in situ you do not need to do anything other than measure the gate resistance to find the problem .
I would be happy to do this for you if you get stuck , just interparcel the amp to me at :

unit 19 ellingham ind est
Ashford
Kent
Tn23 6nf

Kind regards

Cameron Jenner

Edited by cameron - 28 February 2015 at 2:41pm
cameron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2015 at 2:57pm
(quote) Simon

I the best way is to de-solder the gate & drain connections on all the FET's on the faulty side, check one pair with a FET tester and then re-solder and try the amplifier on a small load and check the clip light again, if the fault goes then a faulty FET is the problem.usually do this and check every FET with a MOSFET tester and then re-solder one at a time when they test o.k., when the amplifier has a signal feed into it does channel B sound distorted in any way ?????.

This is like having a noisey wheel bearing on your car and removing one wheel at a time and driving it slowly and repeating the prosses until the noise has stopped ... This is not how a garage would diagnose it and could be hazardous  dangerous and possably do more harm than good !!

sorry for the analogy, but please dont hurt yourself amplifiers have large capacitive charges and you could die , be safe .

regards

cam

poddack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poddack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2015 at 3:02pm
Hello Cameron,
Appreciated, I'm unsoldering the FET's as we speak. I have disconnected the top bank, so the faulty FET isn't there.

Simon,
I have sent a text to the number which I believe is yours.

Michael
cameron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2015 at 3:04pm
07889252455 phone me I will guide you

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonp1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2015 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by cameron cameron wrote:

(quote) Simon

This is like having a noisey wheel bearing on your car and removing one wheel at a time and driving it slowly and repeating the prosses until the noise has stopped ... This is not how a garage would diagnose it and could be hazardous  dangerous and possably do more harm than good !!

sorry for the analogy, but please dont hurt yourself amplifiers have large capacitive charges and you could die , be safe .

regards

cam

There is nothing wrong with isolating all the FET's and testing them with a FET tester (amplifier OFF and isolated from the mains and POWER SUPPLY CAPACITORS DISCHARGED), so long as when the amplifier IS powered up there IS A PAIR (P & N) OF FET's connected to the circuit.

Edited by simonp1100 - 28 February 2015 at 3:33pm
cameron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2015 at 3:10pm
Hi
      If this guy has little or no experience with Chevin Research amplifiers or mis interprets what you are trying to say he will most likley KILL HIMSELF  better send it to some one than poke about inside a Chevin research product without fully discharging the capacitor bank first . Just because the lights are off does not mean it is safe .

Regards

Cameron Jenner

Edited by cameron - 28 February 2015 at 3:24pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>