Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Class D/switching amps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Class D/switching amps
    Posted: 18 April 2014 at 1:02am
Evening all
Like a lot of folk, I like the idea of an amp to drive a pair of subs to 1KW/1.5KW a side that weighs about 500 grams.

So, what do people have to say about  the various Class D/switching amps such as:
Crown XLS
Peavey IPR

Powersoft seem to be regarded as industry standard in the same way as Macrotech amps have been for yonks - is it worth looking for a cheaper solution at risk of ending up as a false economy, or should I bite the bullet and cough up?

All thoughts appreciated

cheers
Dave
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2014 at 9:07am
Powersoft are king yes but there is a lot of others floating about that can give them a run for there money happily. Look at FFA if your budget is a little less than Powersoft. Less again have a look at PKN they seem to be doing good things.

I do love my powersofts though. They are pretty amazing.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
IanD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2014 at 12:04pm
In spite of the amount of invective heaped on them, the Behringer NU amps are actually not bad at all so long as you ignore the headline power ratings and don't use them on the lowest impedance loads they're specced down to, and they're in a different price league to Powersoft/PKN -- an NU6000 with or without DSP should do what you want.

Of course if you want to pay a lot more for Powersoft or PKN you'll get a higher quality product, but in the end they're still amplifiers -- you pays your money and you takes your choice.

(please, no posts slagging off the Berrys from people who haven't tried them or expect them to drive 2ohm sinewaves all day or just hate Behringer -- used within their limitations they work just fine, now seem reliable, and are light and dirt cheap)
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2014 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by IanD IanD wrote:

used within their limitations they work just fine, now seem reliable, and are light and dirt cheap)

The low price and the 3 year warranty make them pretty hard to beat for dry hire setups. Sell them on when they are 2.5 years old and get new ones again. They seem to hold their value remarkably well here.

Just don't expect expect to do any bigger hire jobs with them as most "artists" will not be happy about any yellow triangles in your racks.
king david View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2014 at 1:35pm
all good but... 500 grams?
http://www.warriorcharge.noblogs.org
DaveP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2014 at 3:57pm
Thanks for all the responses.

I'd not looked at PKN before - I didn't know you could buy a 40Kw amp.
That's plenty of grunt for a pub gig, but most down our way don't have a 3-phase supply? shame

I wouldn't have previously have considered Behringer, cheap as chips - food for thought

cheers
Dave
patryk1305 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patryk1305 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2014 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by DaveP DaveP wrote:

That's plenty of grunt for a pub gig, but most down our way don't have a 3-phase supply? shame

I wouldn't have previously have considered Behringer, cheap as chips - food for thought

cheers
Dave

And most don't have that much money to buy one LOL
JakerMusic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JakerMusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2014 at 8:40pm

cheers
Dave

I don't think you would need 40Kw for a pub gig either ha

Check out the PKN XE6000. Plenty of juice and sounds great.

Also affordable!

Edited by JakerMusic - 20 April 2014 at 8:42pm
Gee136 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee136 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2014 at 12:47pm

is it worth looking for a cheaper solution at risk of ending up as a false economy, or should I bite the bullet and cough up?

All thoughts appreciated

cheers
Dave

Dave, I will say cough up, especially if you have any intentions on stepping onto the battlefield.

Respect.................... Big smile 
Goverment Sound (weight & treble roots machine)

When Goverment ah play, infidels, ginals & masqueraders run away.....
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2014 at 1:51pm
Anyone who has a NU6000,what do they sound like? i have watched a few 'reviews' on youtube,and yes i know its hard to tell via a camera microphone,but if anyone has one,what's the verdict?
Be seeing you.
IanD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2014 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Anyone who has a NU6000,what do they sound like? i have watched a few 'reviews' on youtube,and yes i know its hard to tell via a camera microphone,but if anyone has one,what's the verdict?

Sounds like an amplifier...
Dubbed-up View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dubbed-up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2014 at 6:12pm
NU 6000's .... I had 2 , now I don't. I bought 1 and ran 2 v18-1000's off 1 side and 2 pd156's off the other. Didn't really like the sound and thought it may me struggling , so I brought another 1 and ran the v18's off 1 amp and the pd's off the other. It did sound better,...but I still sold them both.
At present I run the 2 v18's and 2 pd 156's off a mc2 e45 and it sounds much much nicer.
If I could have afforded to I would have kept the inukes as back ups as they kinda do what was said in the test on here. I also never had one give up one me,but then they were never abused. Personally I just don't think the sound they produce for bass was that good, not sure how to explain it , but now I've upgraded i get lots of people saying how much nicer it sounds and asking what I've changed. :-) .... But for the money there ain't nowt else and as previously stated they seem to hold there value ok.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>