Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Compressor/limiter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Compressor/limiter
    Posted: 20 February 2017 at 9:50pm
Hi. I could do with some help/mind refreshing. Running punishers 40-80. Rb212 kicks 80-340 and coaxial horns 350-17000. Any suggestions for attacks, ratios and release?

Cheers
the midtops!
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 11:56pm
Don't put one of these on the output of your sound system unless you like blowing drivers.
munkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2017 at 7:15am
Thanks for that. Its not my sound system tbh. I used to run a sound system many years ago. I read up and worked it all out and ran the rig for over 3 years with out blowing anything up. It was out at, on average, 3 nights a month. Sometimes for 16-24 hour at a time. So I do have a vaige idea of what I'm doing. I was just looking for a memory refresher. Maybe a link to some decent explanations. My memory is poor these dayal
the midtops!
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2017 at 10:19pm
OK. my comment was in case this was a dry hire type system where you have no control, in that case there is nothing stopping the operator from pushing the system into constant limiting which in this case with a non DSP type limiter could grossly overpower the drivers.

If you are piloting this yourself then there are a couple ways it can be useful.

1. Set the Ratio to max, attack and release to minimum, and push the threshold up to where you don't ever really hit it. This is a protective limiter for accidents... a 1 time occurrence that only lasts a second before you catch it and correct.. like feedback.
2. Set ratio to 3:1, short attack but long release times, and threshold a little below your usual sustained levels. This compresses the system a touch to make it seem a louder but  only just a little, if you're already pushing the speakers to their limits don't use this but if you're comfortably running below max power then have a play.

Edited by Conanski - 22 February 2017 at 10:22pm
 Post Reply Post Reply