Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crest 9001 - 4 ohm drivers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReubGold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crest 9001 - 4 ohm drivers
    Posted: 30 May 2017 at 1:35pm
Friend of mine is considering using one of these,  with 2x 4 ohm hornloaded cabs per side..

Seeing as "actual" impedance of each cab will be closer to 6 ohms, thereby actual load per channel being more like 3 ohms, wondering if anyone tried this before.

Would only try this with Crest 9001 or better.

Comments from those experienced with Crest Pro '001 amps invited.
If he turns me into a zombie, first person I'm coming after is you.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 9:24pm
The 9001 should cope fairly well with that load.  I have run them at 2Ohms with 4 18" reflex per channel.  You will need a decent power supply because it will draw a lot of current from the mains doing it and make sure the amp has plenty of ventilation.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

The 9001 should cope fairly well with that load.  I have run them at 2Ohms with 4 18" reflex per channel.  You will need a decent power supply because it will draw a lot of current from the mains doing it and make sure the amp has plenty of ventilation.

9001 or larger '0001 series, are the only transformer amps, I would ever consider for 2 ohms stereo.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 10:03pm
I also know people, looking for 9001s.

Any around ?
JBK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 8:40am
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

9001 or larger '0001 series, are the only transformer amps, I would ever consider for 2 ohms stereo.

I'm in the process of buying an void infinite 8 mk2 tu run 6 scoops (so 2.6 ohms stereo) and maybe 8 in the future (2ohms stereo), I heard very good reviews about that amp at low impedence (given you feed it 32 amps from proper mains) I know it is good practice to power at higher impedences, but what would exactly be the difference?

EDIT : sorry for the thread hijack if a mod think I should move my post I'll do so

Edited by JBK - 31 May 2017 at 8:59am
paulus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 12:59pm
i would only trust the 9001 for 2 ohm operation have seen one running 4 1850 drivers per channel and the clip lights did not even go off for hours and handles it regularly , due to the excellent limiting behavior, no dead drivers and no amplifier issues and certainly no lack of sub !!!!!!!!

Edited by paulus - 31 May 2017 at 1:03pm
TRENDSETTER SOUND SYSTEM
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by JBK JBK wrote:

I'm in the process of buying an void infinite 8 mk2 tu run 6 scoops (so 2.6 ohms stereo) and maybe 8 in the future (2ohms stereo), I heard very good reviews about that amp at low impedence (given you feed it 32 amps from proper mains) I know it is good practice to power at higher impedences, but what would exactly be the difference?

EDIT : sorry for the thread hijack if a mod think I should move my post I'll do so

2x Infinite 8 MK2s driving 4 ohm stereo sub each, 40hz HPF, is pretty much impossible to beat.

"Personally", would never run them harder  than that.

9001, run 2 ohm stereo, on serious, serious supply, can well expect output specifications to be exceeded.
JBK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 2:18pm

2x Infinite 8 MK2s driving 4 ohm stereo sub each, 40hz HPF, is pretty much impossible to beat.

Well that seem pretty obvious,  but for now we have the opportunity (and cash) just for one. We jumped on the occasion as it was relatively cheap.

"Personally", would never run them harder  than that.

Could you elaborate why? Is it not stable @ 2 ohms (but the specs & benchhmarks states so)? do we risk damaging the amp/loudspeakers? we'll have a better sound (=more defined) in 4 ohms?
Or just because we won't have heaps of headroom?

I know that things can be better, I'm just wondering if 6/8 scoops out of a void is (as the specs/benchmarks would show) and if not please explain why.

For now we use 3 EV p3000 8ohms style, 1scoop/channel, which would be absolutely fine if we have infinite space and box boys. we had a good price on this one amp which is praised everywhere so we had a go at it. the other idea was to try the proline 3000 (1 for 4 scoops)
The idea is to get most of our scoops, we don't want to underpower'em.

I may begin another thread on this point

EDIT : to sum up, I'm not asking what is the best/perfect solution but if this amp would be suitable for these subs (6 or 8 pd186 superscoops)

Edited by JBK - 31 May 2017 at 2:25pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 2:26pm
Have heard of a number of nightmares, with people using it 2.66/2 ohms stereo.

Maybe due to incompetence, poor supply, shoelace speaker cable, who knows..

Have only heard good things about Reggae guys driving 8Mk2 at 4 ohm stereo.
On a number of drivers rated 1200w-1600w.

Quod erat demonstrandum

JBK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 2:41pm
What kind of nightmares? What kind of scenarios? I'm very i nterested to know what things we should avoid.

EDIT : I just saw you typed "who knows" so I guess this comment come from hearsay, if anyone here have full failing stories on 2.6/2 ohms I'm interested :)

FYIl we intend to use it on 2.6 ohms stereo but I've read that drivers in scoops tend to have an higher impedence than the nominal one, and that also the infinte 8 was a tank

Also the drivers are rated @ 700/800 Watts contineous so I guess we won't need it to deliver full power of the amp, especially for 6 scoops.

Also, we'll upgrade to 6mm² speaker core speakons (20 meters)

And we we'll use it only on 32A supply, I guess that venues not able to provide 32A don't deserve more than 4 scoops

Also the reason we want to go void (apart from the occasion/cheap price) is that we know personaly people who are going to sell it to us, so we're confident on the amp (we learnt the hard way buying old amp 2nd hand could be risky...).

Anyway thanks for your time man

Edited by JBK - 31 May 2017 at 2:44pm
JBK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 3:05pm
sorry double post

Edited by JBK - 31 May 2017 at 3:05pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by JBK JBK wrote:

What kind of nightmares? What kind of scenarios? I'm very i nterested to know what things we should avoid.

EDIT : I just saw you typed "who knows" so I guess this comment come from hearsay, if anyone here have full failing stories on 2.6/2 ohms I'm interested :)

Not from hearsay, but considering your last statement, nothing else to say to you.

Feel free to take your off topic questions to another thread, as opposed to hijacking this one, with completely unrelated questions.Clap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>