Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

crown powertech

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: crown powertech
    Posted: 25 June 2009 at 8:25pm
has anyone had any experience with these ,cant find anything on search?
ay comments at all would be very appreciated !thanks
luke_0301 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luke_0301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2009 at 8:28pm
do you mean machro tech?
more bass please
matty w View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2009 at 8:34pm

unfortunatley not ,no shortage of oppinions on them!

google brings up some results but not many ,would be geat to get some hands on experience review of them!
anybody?? 
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2009 at 10:56am
PowerTechs are based on the same basic internal circuitry and output stages as MacroTechs, MicroTechs, etc. but AFAIK, only have one transformer and are only rated into 4 ohms per channel, whereas MacroTechs and MicroTechs have two transformers and are rated into 2 ohms per channel. They also only have jack inputs with no PIP card slot.

They're good, solid, reliable amps. I've got some Crown CSLs (AKA PowerBase series) which are very similar but have rear mounted gain controls.

What was it that you wanted to know?
ALL YOUR BASS ARE BELONG TO US.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2009 at 3:45pm

Power-Tech, Powerbase and, CSL are exactly the same amplifier.

The Macro-Tech & Micro-Tech are the exactly the same amplifier.

The Power-Tech 3 and, Macro-Tech 2400 offer the same power supply in terms of strength. However, the Macro-Tech 2400 offers more output Transistors, which enables it to sustain 2-ohm use longer than the Power-Tech 3 (Powerbase 3, & CSL 1400). This is why the Power-Tech 3 is not rated at 2 ohms per channel.

In the smaller versions, the Power-Tech 2 & 1 are worse than the Macro-Tech 1200 & 600 and, performs terribly when compared in 4-ohm loads.

The Power-Tech's 1 power supply is very weak in which, it will offer horrible noise if driven hard into 4 ohms per channel Stereo whereas, the Macro-Tech 600 will manage a dead short with an 8-ohm driver attached to it for 2 hours before it shuts down. Wink

The best out of the Power-Tech series is the 3 (Powerbase 3, CSL 1400) however, like the Macro/Micro-Tech 2400 it generates a lot of heat so external cooling is required. Having a minimum of 3 sitting in your rack will dissipate enough heat to make one assume one the amplifiers are overheating while idling for 30 minutes. You could only imagine what five would be like. Shocked  It also needs an ample amount of current as well. If you starve the amplifiers they will not deliver their stated specs.

The Macro/Micro-Tech 2400, Powerbase 3, Power-Tech 3 in addition to the CSL 1400 offer 15-amp breakers (120-volt versions use 30 amperes) total, and are prone to draw a lot of current if/when needed.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 26 June 2009 at 3:55pm
Elliot Thompson
ychole audio View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ychole audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2009 at 2:47pm
      I have been using powertech 2 for almost 10 years now driving midhighs (200hz-1khz)at 4 ohms and never had problems with them.They are absolutely reliable amps.
I am ZERIEL'S dad!!!
Peter Moller View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Moller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2009 at 9:14pm
I have had about 10 of them in rental stock ( PT2 and PT3).. The older Powertech series were sold as Amcron Geodyne series in some parts of Europe ( Denmark included )..
I have only had 2 failures with these during the 8 year period I had them - one was DOA - and was replaced.. The other had a blown OP stage due to overheating ( school musical production, and the teachers decided to camouflage an amprack by wrapping it in black plastic and not telling me about it.. Thermal protection failed and the amp died..

Like the Macrotech series, they were not the best sounding amps on the market, but they did the job, and are still doing the job today - I retired a fair number of them into school installs etc. ..

One important point: Keep the air filters clean, but do not remove them while using the amp.. If your filters are clogged the amp will start distorting considerably when it gets hot... Dont run the amp without filters as it will fill the amp with crap and make it overheat..

If you can get them in decent condition its not a bad buy... I bought 4* PT3 used from another rental co about 10 years ago.. Paid about 350 + VAT each iirc..
/p
real phone no: +45 four zero six two four four nine eight ( using obvious anti phone spam encryption )
matty w View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2009 at 6:33pm
thankyou for all your replys
i won a powertech 3 for £250 on ebay,havnt picked it up yet but will post my thoughts on its pros an cons when i do
i plan to run a couple of pd 156's bridge mode
at the moment im using a cloud 1500 so wil be interesting to compare results
watch this space!!
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2009 at 3:50am
Just bear in mind that bridge mono means 8 ohms only. If you try to operate it under 4 ohms bridged mono, it will shutdown.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
Acetechnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acetechnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 8:24am
Hi, i have a crown Power Tech 2 amp, and its got some sort of fault that i can't figure out. one of the outputs has a solid yellow light next to it where its suppose to flicker green to show how much signals going through it, it also totally fried one of my speakers. any info anyone could give me on this would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 10:18am
Sounds like it needs a trip to the menders! Whereabouts are you? I repair Crowns (amongst other things) but there may be other people on here who are closer to you.
ALL YOUR BASS ARE BELONG TO US.
DjLeco View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjLeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 9:44pm
Good amps Powertech series, 2 especially.

IOC led's very usefull.

Can be moddified a little, like mine, to run 2,66 ohms 100Hz above(tops).
I'm A Stupid SMART Romanian...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>