Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crown XTI...how good are they?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crown XTI...how good are they?
    Posted: 20 November 2010 at 3:17pm
Hi
did anyone try the Crown XTI 1000 and XTI 6000? I'm considering buying them...are they as good as the old macrotech?

Nico
AM55 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2010 at 3:23pm
No good for bass. Do a search, the topic has been covered before.
DjLeco View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjLeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2010 at 3:25pm

I had XTI4000, but they don't have PFC on smps and very unstable if plug socket drops under 210 (105 volts USA) volts!

They are made for 120-240 volts power supply autosensing.

I'm A Stupid SMART Romanian...
QSS View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2010 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by amss amss wrote:

No good for bass. Do a search, the topic has been covered before.
Thumbs Up agree
Even worst on mid/highs. Makes your system sound Sh*t.

"Music is life"
4AC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4AC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2010 at 6:11pm
I don't really agree with the non-argumented reactions on the bass-respons of this amplifier.

NO, it isn't a Macrotech or 9001 on bass.
YES, it costs as much as an cup of coffee
YES, it is very handy that it has in-build DSP with crossover, eq, delay etc etc etc
YES, it is extremely well built
YES, the problems that it had in the beginning are solved a long time ago
YES, it sounds VERY GOOD on mid/highs IF you compare them to amps in the same price range.
ABSOLUTELY, it has an very good price/quality ratio

I mean, come on, guys, this is a very good amplifier range from Crown for the smaller budget!
luton_soundman View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2010 at 6:21pm
a mate of mine has a rack of these but still haven't been used yet so haven't managed to hear them  to form my own opinion but have heard not so good reviews from many other people who have owned them. 
Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2010 at 7:53pm
We have removed quite a few of this range out of installs and I know of quite a few hire companies that bought them initially and have now got rid of them for more reliable and better sounding amps---Out of the ones that we removed from installs, we experienced about 50% failure or fault rate.
We don't seem to see many of them about nowadays as it appears that after the initial sales surge of a new product hardly anyone buys them in the UK as you can buy lots of better sounding and more reliable amps such as QSC and now Matrix.. 
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2010 at 9:17am
Originally posted by 4AC 4AC wrote:

I don't really agree with the non-argumented reactions on the bass-respons of this amplifier.

NO, it isn't a Macrotech or 9001 on bass.
YES, it costs as much as an cup of coffee
YES, it is very handy that it has in-build DSP with crossover, eq, delay etc etc etc
YES, it is extremely well built
YES, the problems that it had in the beginning are solved a long time ago
YES, it sounds VERY GOOD on mid/highs IF you compare them to amps in the same price range.
ABSOLUTELY, it has an very good price/quality ratio

I mean, come on, guys, this is a very good amplifier range from Crown for the smaller budget!

hey

I use a rack full of them at the music school I teach at and yeah i would agree that while not amazing they aren't bad.  However would strongly disagree that they are well built, we have faults on two, maybe 3 out of the 5 we have, and I know of others who have had similar problems.

k
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2010 at 9:28am
That was the main reason that I got rid of my 4000,s it was a bit like owning the DCX, at the back of my mind I was always thinking are they going to make it through the gig. DCX now replaced for exactly the same reason.
www.forteaudio.eu - BMS - db-Mark Processors - Lexon (SAE)
nks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2010 at 11:54am
Well..it seems clear that is not what I'm looking for!!!
Is the QSC RMX 5050 a better amp?  I need 2 amps to power 8 1850's and other 2 amps to power 4 Martin Audio W8c....on a budget!!! At the moment I'm using two TAmp Proline 3000 for four 1850s, but as we are building four more i will need other two (which would add 74kg to my rack!!) ....I never had any problem with the Proline, and they are cheap...but i'd really like two big amps to power all 8 1850s....whats can u suggest?

Nico
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2010 at 12:04pm
Inf 8 on bass MC2 FFA or Lab Gruppen on tops why own lovely tops and drive them with crap???
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
Plaguesguitarist View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plaguesguitarist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2010 at 12:15pm
i was considering getting some to "replace" my ra2001's on my smaller monitor rig purely from the weight point of view.  Has anyone used xti's for monitors? is it a good idea or should i stick with the c audios?
Why did the lampy cross the road?

To steal MY sharpie.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>