Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cubo or Tham?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2017 at 5:23pm
My 2p... the Cubo designs can use several drivers, they're not so driver specific. Meaning you can chuck a cheapy in there and get some OK results, or use a better driver and get better results. I've heard the Tham 12's and 15's and the Cubo 15's and the Tham 15's were the best out of the lot. But, the pair of Cubo 15's could be built (wood, drivers, hardware etc etc) for the same price as just one driver for the Tham15.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2017 at 5:25pm
Had Cubos, IMHO much like the EV T18 they like reflex drivers. Best mine sounded was with some old Celestion G18q. I like them with XB's but as with all these designs and modern sub 40 hz stuff they lack. Proper reflex of 200l with Prime or TBX100 or similar will always impress when side by side with any horn stuff. Cyclops non extended original with right driver would be my choice if it has to be single driver non reflex. Mini scoops are too weird at 100hz to my ears as well.
There is always the overlooked option of compact 2x15 though, nice simple 600w driver one? 4ohm cab too.
It's everything, not everythink!
70,s hero View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70,s hero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2017 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Yes you are running it too high. Tapped horns done right are great, low distortion though so maybe don't feel as loud? But they are a sub and have serious problems above sub passband. Try a LPF at 80/90 and you'll be much happier. In my opinion tops should cover down to there anyway.

+1

80 Hz down is where I set for subs, I think you need 18's though for that IMO, sounds sweet.

Edited by 70,s hero - 25 March 2017 at 7:09pm
Top banana
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2017 at 8:20pm
Heard all sorts of Cubo, they're all a bit crap to be honest. Too much compromise.
Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 10:20pm
Got cubo12, 12 extended and even more extended version. Not crap at all, would keep up with 18" BR box at 60Hz and up, and did decent job up to 48Hz. I mean, what do you expect... Tried cubo 18 then, and didn't like it, as it was rather jack of all trades, master of none. These days one rather has to impress with something, while Cubo is working medioker. Not bad at all..
Nikon and Canon people should not be married to each other. Why did you let this happen?
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 8:04am

Heard all sorts of Cubo, they're all a bit crap to be honest. Too much compromise.
+1 on that.
Best regards,
Teun.
rosssss224 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 9:10am
Have 4 cubo's with kappa 15 LF. If like me you started on a budget and had limited workshop space/ tools/ experience but wanted results they are very good. 

Recently upgraded to a proline 3000 and they really come alive in fours.

I'm not pretending they beats hogs, SBH etc etc but those cabs were never really an option.

Main regret is not starting with cubo 18
Speaker Sol View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 11:06am
Well, I finished the construction of my Cubo 12s and my initial impressions are very positive. Loud and clear, impressive pressure for such a small cab.

I need more time to fully assess performance, but it looks like they will excel at there intended task.

Note: I dont have any other Tapped horns to compare against.
charlysays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 2:20pm
Not heard any Thams... I built 4 X cubo subs (the biggest one) loaded with 18" 18sound neo drivers as my first build. The first two I fitted 18nlw9400 (due to constrained funds and lack of amp power, but it's still a beasty driver) and in the second pair I fitted 18nlw9000.
The only thing I have to compare them with are JBL P744 18" reflex subs, JBL Mpro MP418S 18" reflex subs and JBL TCBs. The cubos have much more output below 40hz than all of them with the same amp power. Only the 2X15" TCBs sound pretty much as flat down to 35hz as the cubo subs.

I'd say they have a more colored sound (maybe ever so slightly hollow/ honky?), but it's no deal breaker bearing in mind the crazy SPL/ weight/size ratio. They appear to be twice as loud as the JBL 18s with the same amp power even though the JBL drivers are more sensitive.

In large rooms and outdoors I can't fault the cubo subs but in a small-ish room you can indeed get dead spots and often feel a more pleasing sub bass at the bar rather than up close to them. That said the sheer amount of air they move especially with the 18nlw9000 is pretty crazy. Certainly trouser flapping.
SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 4:12pm
Ive only heard the tham 12, 18mm version. Sounds very clear, not honky at all. Had it crossing to high and was getting out of phase i believe. Now at 90hz sounds great :) 

Cheif_Stringer_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheif_Stringer_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 6:21pm

Hi toasty may i ask what you dont like about them? and have your heard the biggest model (cubo sub) loaded with decent drivers?

I ask because im debating building some cubo subs then upgrading to othorns, or just going straight for the othorns (im looking for very solid output down to 30hz), either would be loaded with 21nlw9601s, i like the idea of the cubo subs being small enough to keep a couple in my house / move around easy but would wanna get the most out of these beastly / expensive drivers also
"nice one matee"
Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 7:38pm
Cheif_Stringer: Well, the "waveguide/horn" part of the Cubo is not long enaugh to produce 30Hz, and internal volume for Bassreflex/bandpass part isn´t very large, so the box cannot be here efficient either. If you want to go solid 30Hz, get ordinary bassreflex, or go longer horn. Orthon is very different beast, and I would recommend it over Cubo, if you strive for 30Hz "full blast".
Nikon and Canon people should not be married to each other. Why did you let this happen?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>