Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Custom TOA system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kazakore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Custom TOA system
    Posted: 18 September 2009 at 12:56pm
Looking at getting a fairly small, affordable rig which is manageable by two people (IE each cab under around 75kg.) Now while I may dream about a Stasys 3 + 5 Mk2 system I think that may be a little out of my budget for the time being. I have seen this system, apparently custom made and based around TOA driver. Comes to around £800 per sub/midtop pair but I can hopefully knock a bit off this.

Mainly play jungle, hardcore, dnb, old school. So generally a lot of low end but also plenty of music with a lot of punch in the (distorted) kicks. Quite likely to also get used for live bands covering everthing from roots reggae and trip-hop to hardcore punk.

Thanks for any opinions and insights.

markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2009 at 1:41pm
TOA is quite good quality (made in Japan) but is a bit old school and fairly low powered. What exactly are you getting for £800.00? It will need to include mixer and amps to even get close to value. TOA cabs go for peanuts on E-Bay.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
kazakore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kazakore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2009 at 1:52pm
As I said they are apparently not TOA cabs but have been custom built by a decent cabinet maker.

Mid/tops pictured are rated 600W and comprise 2x12" +  2" compression driver (not TOA, unsure brand.) Listed at £450 each

Bass is 1200W, 2x 18" push/pull (evidently, by picture.) Listed at £350 each.

Only be be sold in bass/midtop pairs, which gives the £800 per per full-range cabinet pair.

Have to admit I hadn't really heard of TOA before. My understanding of the designs is that they're not as critical to the drivers used as say a fully horn-loaded system. Is that correct?

Edited by kazakore - 18 September 2009 at 1:54pm
turbodeas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbodeas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2009 at 4:43pm
Hi there,

I'm sure I've seen that rig before - maybe my memory doesn't serve me right but there were a series of small outdoor concerts in the amphitheatre in South Shields (nr Newcastle upon Tyne) that used black TOA boxes that looked very similar to those with the grilles on!! Are these cabs up North? Could be the same ones....

I remember them sounding pretty clean and punchy....

One of my first ever amps was a TOA MX-401 mixer amp, and we had a pair of TOA RS20's as well - very small, very basic, but served us well for many a year!!

£800 per stack does seem quite a lot for TOA gear, as markie said they usually go for peanuts on ebay because it's all quite old and not a particularly well known brand......

Sorry I can't help more,

Chris.
goodgroove View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodgroove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2009 at 5:01pm
Hi I have eight of those double push/pulls loaded with Toa 600w 18s made by a company called W&T that I bought as a job lot , like you I had not heard much about Toa previously but I spoke to Wembley Loudspeakers about repairing 2 who told me they were a very good quality speaker and Toa were a Japanese company that did a lot of arena and stadium installs , have had no problems other than a couple of speaker braids  coming off just good sub performance , LMC audio suppliers are currently selling some used at £350 each plus vat so price seems average .     
kazakore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kazakore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2009 at 6:11pm
Yeah it's from LMC I would be getting these from. Spoke to Jeff at Plasa as I have known him a few years and he said it would make a quite nice, reasonably priced, light-weight system but you always want to take a sales man's word with a pinch of salt no matter how well you know them ;)

Probably go around to have a listen to them end of next week, just wondered peoples general concensus almost as much on the type of design for the music I want to play. Kinda reminds a bit of some of the D&B Audio stuff, although never seen their internals to know if they're push/pull, and always found those very punchy for a nice kick but not so good on anything too sub-bass heavy.
goodgroove View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodgroove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2009 at 7:11pm
 Now I know that its the same bins from LMC price is probably to high but they are good bins and the makers W&T are based up north so it was probably the same bins described in the other post . 
spudmiester View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spudmiester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2009 at 9:35am
Back in the 90's there was a guy up in North Yorkshire who was the Toa rep, and had all sorts of custom kit built, some of which was quite good. He also had links to W&T. Cant remember his name though. Perhaps this is some of his special kit, I think it would sound ok.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2009 at 10:10am
ive poked around a lot of toa gear over the years, and it is usually very well eingineered and reliable - used within its limits. Like companies llike community sound, there power ratings are very very conservative, so it it says 500w it is 500w even with a continuous sine wave.

so, i should say that if you like the sound, go for it - but drive a hard bargain as i know that LMC have had that pile of toa for several years, so will be eager so sell some!
JDTechie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDTechie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2011 at 1:30am
Realise this is an old topic, but thought i'd shed abit of light on these TOA boxes for future reference. 

I currently own 4 stacks of this TOA MS-Series custom system. MS1= Mid/High, MSB - Sub.  MS stands for the guy who designed them.

Originally touring with Newcastle based band Lindisfarne by the production company Nitelites who from what i've been told had 45 stacks in the 80s. 

The stacks you will have seen at South Shields Ampitheatre are the only two 120° horizontal dispersion mid/high boxes ever made of this Series, the rest were all 90°. I now have those 120° and two 90° 

Need alot of EQ, i hav a DBX Driverack 260 on my system powered by:

HF = C-Audio RA1001
Mid = MC2 1250
Sub = Crown Itech 6000

Can be a very nice system in the right hands, great outdoors, good long throw. 
Spartan Audio View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spartan Audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2011 at 2:18am
I'd like to know the x-over points you use with your boxes and what you think the useable frequency range of those subs is.
http://www.spartanaudio.co.uk
woody2 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2011 at 8:27am
Originally posted by spudmiester spudmiester wrote:

Back in the 90's there was a guy up in North Yorkshire who was the Toa rep, and had all sorts of custom kit built, some of which was quite good. He also had links to W&T. Cant remember his name though. Perhaps this is some of his special kit, I think it would sound ok.

think his name was martin? one of the other guys worked for fairbank harding
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>