Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cutting ABS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cutting ABS
    Posted: 09 October 2015 at 3:32am
I have some flat par cans that have captive leads, trouble is these leads are short and not great quality, and the gland + radius of cable curve means that it adds an extra 30mm to the back of par. This is prone to damage and wastes a lot of space in cases. And I'd quite like the ability to daisy chain them for a neater look.

So I'm looking into replacing the cable with an snap in IEC socket and an outlet on the other side. There's enough space on the inside to safely do this.

What do you reckon is the best way to to cut out the hole? I need to do 15 par cans! The hole needs to be 20.5 x 27.7mm.
bruce@bluff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruce@bluff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2015 at 6:32am
 Abrafile hacksaw blade will be the best way to cut ABS you can get them at any hardware store 
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2015 at 6:50am
If you have a few to do, you will be able to find the correct size punch and die set for the IEC assembly. RS components is a good place to look
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
GEB View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2015 at 7:37am
In the past Ive drilled a large hole and dremelled out the rest. Depends how thick the abs is through.
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2015 at 11:23am
The cowboy builder in me instantly thought of router bit in a drill

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2015 at 12:29pm
Or a jigsaw? You´d need one with a variable speed trigger and do it slowly, otherwise the plastic will melt and seal itself behind the cut.
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2015 at 1:23pm
Dremel. Simple and fast. Just stick masking tape with the drawn template on it where you need it and cut it at a medium speed.

You should get through all 15 in about two hours.
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
AJordan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2015 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Or a jigsaw? You´d need one with a variable speed trigger and do it slowly, otherwise the plastic will melt and seal itself behind the cut.

+1 to this. I cut quite a bit of abs holes many years ago and used a jigsaw. dont think it was variable speed but i didn't have any problems in fact it was a breeze. Just drill a pilot hole to get your blade in and away you go.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2015 at 2:49pm
a fine tooth blade if your gonna use a jigsaw..... dremel would still be better.
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2015 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by AJordan AJordan wrote:

Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

+1 to this. I cut quite a bit of abs holes many years ago and used a jigsaw. dont think it was variable speed but i didn't have any problems in fact it was a breeze. Just drill a pilot hole to get your blade in and away you go.

Yes, decent blade and it goes through like butter. Only problem may be the stuff sealing itself behind!  Confused

"a fine tooth blade if your gonna use a jigsaw"

Definitely.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2015 at 5:18pm
Can't use a jigsaw, punch would be ideal, can I do it in a laser cutter or will it melt it to buggery? It's 2.3mm ABS. 
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2015 at 5:59pm
As it's a snap in, I'm finding it hard to find the exact size punch and die, how much difference do you think half a mm would make? It's hate to have a loose connector.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>