Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DBmark XCA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2016 at 10:21pm
The AES input on the Omnidrive 366T is one of the main reasons I'm still a big fan, that and the limiters are very good.  Some of the newer (cheaper brands) are good on the basics but as you say, still lack some of the refinement of the old favourites.
wires View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2016 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

they miss out a lot of good features of the ultradrive - dynamic eq, phase adjust, auto-align, 6dB filters, digital inputs

The auto align and dynamic eq isn't that trustworthy, same as the limiters, on the ultradrives anyway imo.

phase and 6db filters, ok i'll give you that but that could be updated later on firmware i guess

Aes input is really the main thing you i miss from the others, but personally i've gained a much better sound quality and control overall, plus 2 more outputs and better build quality so its still a marked improvement.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think any are bad products but i'm pleasantly surprised by the results i've achieved with actually doing very little different.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2016 at 10:58am
I preferred the Ultradrive to many units, but then sold mine to get BSS 388.

Upgrade in sound quality, but ease of use and versatility were joke compared to DCX.

Then got DPs, and better sound quality, much easier to use, more flexible.

Thought I might have KT by now, but no need.

Use DP limiters on mids/tops, & external 1U unit for sub.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2016 at 11:33am
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

they miss out a lot of good features of the ultradrive - dynamic eq, phase adjust, auto-align, 6dB filters, digital inputs

I'm not a fan of auto-align - it rarely works properly - I can see why people use it but its not for me.

I would agree on dynamic EQ - that's a useful feature - and hopefully will be added in a future revision of these units.

For me, the dB-Mark are far better than the ultradrive on sound quality, and the limiters are much, much better on the dB-Mark than the ultradrive.

I found the limiters on the ultradrive just ruined the sound, and were virtually unusable, and the gain structure on the limiters makes them a little annoying in my experience.

Price/performance for the dB-Mark is excellent, it keeps up with more expensive products, it just doesn't have some of the bells and whistles on it.

just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk
taurusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taurusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2016 at 1:01pm
Can't find a DB Mark that has comp on the inputs.
The GUI choices (software version specific) are thoroughly confusing & once connected, appear to have latency when changes are made..

Edited by taurusty - 17 November 2016 at 1:02pm
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2016 at 1:54pm
XCA has comp limiter on each output band, to be honest, I think its better to limit this way, as a comp limiter on the input will be triggered by high dynamics, such as kick drum, and that will affect the whole signal, whereas individual output band limiting should be less squashy on the overall sound.
taurusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taurusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2016 at 2:15pm
Seems to be only limiting, Andy as ratio is not adj, only atk, release & hold.
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2016 at 3:29pm
Mine definitely has ratio adjustment.
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2016 at 9:49pm
as above all, dbmark xca have ratio adjust, since firmware 1 right up to current versions of firmware.
https://www.elements-audio.com
taurusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taurusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2016 at 11:04pm
Saw that in the XCA lit.

Was referring to Mk II & IV DP's 48 & 28 FW 1.05 respectively, which are all I've been exposed to over here...Was wondering if I'm doing something wrong...
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2016 at 11:24pm
You are right, the older units dont have as many features, XCA is far superior to DP series, but the DP series I think are excellent units if you consider sound quality, features and price.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2016 at 10:21pm
Do none of them have AES in?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>