Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

dcx to laptop lead

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaronski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dcx to laptop lead
    Posted: 10 February 2013 at 4:16pm
hello
i want to connect a berry dcx to my laptop
it says to use a RS-232 lead, but my latop doesnt have a rs-232 connection
is there a converter lead or something available? 
cheers Smile
corr that sounds well good, how many k is it pushin? what amps you got? turn it up abit mate.
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2013 at 4:36pm
Something like this should work

http://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-RS232-Converter-Cable/dp/B00077DJIQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2013 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by APW APW wrote:

Something like this should work

http://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-RS232-Converter-Cable/dp/B00077DJIQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

It very likely won't.

But this will :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000VYJRY/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9550942989&ref=asc_df_B0000VYJRY

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2013 at 1:33pm
I have used the USB to RS232 in the link I posted for numerous applications and never had any issues.

Amazon seem to ship two different version of the lead, one uses the Prolific drivers and the other uses an installer package called 'CH341SER.exe', this is sometimes supplied on disk with the lead but more often that not you need to google 'CH341SER.exe' and download it from the manufactures web page 'http://www.wch.cn/download/.....', Once the driver is installed the the lead works fine.

Edited by APW - 13 February 2013 at 1:33pm
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2013 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by APW APW wrote:

I have used the USB to RS232 in the link I posted for numerous applications and never had any issues.

Amazon seem to ship two different version of the lead, one uses the Prolific drivers and the other uses an installer package called 'CH341SER.exe', this is sometimes supplied on disk with the lead but more often that not you need to google 'CH341SER.exe' and download it from the manufactures web page 'http://www.wch.cn/download/.....', Once the driver is installed the the lead works fine.

AFAIK the very cheap adapters are designed to work primarily with olde worlde modems and terminals .... but not with every type of RS232-equipped device. Some applications need to communicate with a real hardware UART (16550 usually ISTR)

Remember the introduction of AC97 audio and modems on PC motherboards ? These used the main CPU (and/or bits of the south brdige ?) to emulate some of the reqd. functionality .....
Well AFAIK its similar with the very cheap USB->RS232 adapters, and if the app is written to address a real serial port it just doesn't work with an emulated (or partly emulated) port.

The Keyspan branded ones I mentioned have a real hardware UART - hence the relative cost.

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2013 at 12:59am
TBH Get a laptop with an RS-232, you look like a burk with the wrong tools, make sure whatever junk you buy has hardware flow control, most USB > RS-232 don't and will brick a DCK on a firmware flash...

The reason Apple has no place in pro Audio is no RS-232, just get a shit box dell or tosh or IBM with a proper connector and use it for just that....

levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2013 at 1:50am
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

The reason Apple has no place in pro Audio is no RS-232,

Was nice knowing you, SH.

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2013 at 9:48am

just get a shit box dell or tosh or IBM with a proper connector and use it for just that....

+1 ....

Can't see why some people just don't seem to get that.

Got a Dell PIII-M 1.2GHz laptop here ... 12" XGA screen, 1GB RAM, 20GB disk, solid build quality, reliable ....... and has a proper serial port. Up for grabs for slightly more than the price of the keyspan adapter I linked to. (am I allowed to say that ?) ....

If it gets nicked/smashed/beer spillage .... well you'd likely just suck your teeth a bit .... what if that happens to your dual-core 4GB jobby ?

colinmono View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinmono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2013 at 11:59am
Originally posted by slaz slaz wrote:

just get a shit box dell or tosh or IBM with a proper connector and use it for just that....

+1 ....

Can't see why some people just don't seem to get that.

Got a Dell PIII-M 1.2GHz laptop here ... 12" XGA screen, 1GB RAM, 20GB disk, solid build quality, reliable ....... and has a proper serial port. Up for grabs for slightly more than the price of the keyspan adapter I linked to. (am I allowed to say that ?) ....

If it gets nicked/smashed/beer spillage .... well you'd likely just suck your teeth a bit .... what if that happens to your dual-core 4GB jobby ?

+2

Good advice, got myself a £100 Dell laptop from ebay which is dedicated to rig use, no qualms about leaving it hooked up unattended.

Having said that if you just want to mess around at home I can confirm these work:

http://www.easysync-ltd.com/product/526/es-u-1001-r10.html

Edited by colinmono - 14 February 2013 at 11:59am
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2013 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by colinmono colinmono wrote:

[

Having said that if you just want to mess around at home I can confirm these work:

http://www.easysync-ltd.com/product/526/es-u-1001-r10.html

oo yes .... those look the nuts with proper specs and documentation etc.
Huge range of cable lengths etc. too .... why doesn't Behringer ship one of these as standard with new machines fer gawds sake ? Or indeed build one internally into the machine (with their own device ID programmed in) terminating in a USB type B socket on the panel ?

I suppose max USB cable length could be an issue.

shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2013 at 12:43pm
USB is not a useful interface for audio processors, limited length, under windows tends to appear on random ports, and TBH if you don't know how to plumb into an RS-232/485 line you probably shouldn't be accessing the kit anyways.

The real question is why don't they put a web-kit system in so you can hit up the units over TCP/IP even crappy Apples have ethernet!!!

Oh, no my mistake, they don't anymore.....LOL
DiscernAudio View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiscernAudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2013 at 7:04pm
Which of these would work ?

http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cables/USBRS232.htm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>