Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

delay settings scoops and reflex

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phildat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: delay settings scoops and reflex
    Posted: 08 January 2010 at 1:33pm
moved this as it didnt get any response in another section..

Can anyone advise on delay needed. got 4 rhinos under some jbl 4745 and some need to know how much delay is needed...do i apply delay to everything apart from the scoops being that the sound travels further through the horn?

Dont know if you need to know this but thinking of

Rhinos set for 30hz - 100hz  
4745s set for 100hz - 350hz
then got some modified bi amped jrx 125s with beyma cds and horns doing the rest...

thanks in advance

Its just a ride.
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 1:44pm
delay your JBL relfex mid  and low-mid drivers so theyre in line with the top horns. 

and then delay ALL of it (apart from the rhinos obviously), by 1.9m and see how it sounds, tweaking might give better results. 

also invert polarity of scoops. 

Edited by Saul - 08 January 2010 at 2:39pm
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 1:49pm
1.4Confused more like 1.9
phildat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phildat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 1:53pm
er how do i work out how much delay they need (the low mids and and mids) to match them to the beymas? Is there a formula i need to get my head around?
Its just a ride.
phildat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phildat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 1:57pm
also why am i to invert the polarity of the scoops? is it just so the positive push of the driver exits via the horn?
cheers 
Its just a ride.
Ollie_N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie_N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 1:58pm

hi is this really neccessary? i use the rhinos with no delay and the polarities not reversed and they sound as if the bass comes in at the right time (to me lol), what difference does reversing the polarities have on sound?

youtube: homegrownsoundz - DJ mixes, bassgardenuk - Originals,
thelayoutuk - RnB/Acoustic Soul Band
phildat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phildat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by mykey mykey wrote:

1.4Confused more like 1.9

wish i had actually paid attention in physics when i was at school.
Its just a ride.
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Ollie_N Ollie_N wrote:

hi is this really neccessary? i use the rhinos with no delay and the polarities not reversed and they sound as if the bass comes in at the right time (to me lol), what difference does reversing the polarities have on sound?

http://forum.speakerplans.com/delay-settings-scoops-and-reflex_topic34327.html
tallmike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 2:06pm
I don't understand how delaying the system back the the rear of the scoop driver would make it sound better, wouldn't that just mean that the front radiating part of the scoop would be ahead of time by 1-2ms?

mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 2:09pm
yes
phildat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phildat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 2:18pm
blimey...now im really confused Mykey...so are you suggesting that i dont delay but make sure the 4745s and the mid top boxes are set a few inches behind the rhino drivers?
how do i go about setting delays between the Beymas and the mids and low mids?

pardon my lack of understanding eh? 
Its just a ride.
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 2:35pm
haha - this is great - one minute people say "wahey lets delay them like horns" and the next minute - "no they should be treated as reflex boxes" 

make your mind up! 

the direct radiating part is only really active over 100hz+ anyway!!    .......... isnt it???? 

Edited by Saul - 08 January 2010 at 2:37pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>