Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Diagnosing speaker failure in Tham15?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diagnosing speaker failure in Tham15?
    Posted: 27 June 2015 at 2:06pm
I'm hoping ye might be able to help shed some light on a driver failure I had this weekend.
I had a pair of these in Tham 15 cabs driven bridged 4ohm from a Macrotech 2400.
One of them started to kinda clatter badly and the cone seems to have gone quite soft.
The other survived ok.
They were playing fairly loud but not ragged.
Was it just too much power?
Too much stress from the tapped horn or are they just really shite drivers?
It'd be interesting to know.
I've the right BMS drivers on order now so they should properly sing!

Edited by Shortrope - 27 June 2015 at 2:07pm
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
KidCreole View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KidCreole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 3:57pm
Two things. One over powered. Second, xmax 6.5 mm
Mykey Wattco
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 4:00pm
what setting was you using?
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

what setting was you using?
45 to 115hz L24 slopes I think. 
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by KidCreole KidCreole wrote:

Two things. One over powered. Second, xmax 6.5 mm
Not enough Xmax? 
I was told that on balance the Xmax was the same as the B&C 15TBX100 that the cab was designed around.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 4:15pm
To much power up its backside it is then! Lol

iv got the 12in version and i love it to bits. I hang it off a 500 or 600w amp as its only a little PD 12sb but it does a fantastic job....

if your driving a pair of a bridged 2400 me thinks you was expecting to much from the drivers. Anyway lesson learnt! Next time if you think 2 should do it, take 4.

if its a throw away driver why not cut the coil out and take a few close ups... we all love pics and we all like a good car crash.
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 4:19pm

To much power up its backside it is then! Lol

iv got the 12in version and i love it to bits. I hang it off a 500 or 600w amp as its only a little PD 12sb but it does a fantastic job....

if your driving a pair of a bridged 2400 me thinks you was expecting to much from the drivers. Anyway lesson learnt! Next time if you think 2 should do it, take 4.

if its a throw away driver why not cut the coil out and take a few close ups... we all love pics and we all like a good car crash.
Thought as much...the cone had gone all flaccid!
Should be fine with the 1200w BMS 15S430V2 that I've ordered as replacements Big smile
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 4:26pm
The BMS drivers i find are juicy, so your 2400 MAY not have the headroom but, saying that, same boxes + smae amp there will be a massive difference in output from the BMS drivers.

Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 4:57pm

The BMS drivers i find are juicy, so your 2400 MAY not have the headroom but, saying that, same boxes + smae amp there will be a massive difference in output from the BMS drivers.

8R bridged Macrotech on each side side then so?!Big smileBig smileBig smileBig smile

Edited by Shortrope - 27 June 2015 at 4:58pm
KidCreole View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KidCreole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 6:13pm
Diagnosis

User error
Mykey Wattco
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 6:15pm
3600 in bridge? Lol

a 2400/box would be ok... just set that limiter correctly and be careful this time!!!
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2015 at 8:05am
"One of them started to kinda clatter badly and the cone seems to have gone quite soft."

The Crown MT2400 is 1.6KW in bridge at 8Ω, and will over excurd the P-Audio E15-600S (unless you crank it down with a limiter.
djk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>