Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Digital voltmeter display reccomendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapro2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Digital voltmeter display reccomendations
    Posted: 07 February 2015 at 5:56pm
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had any reccomendations for digital voltmeter displays to keep an eye on my battery's power.

Thanks in advance😃

Rob
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2015 at 10:20pm
I've bought a few cheapo volt/current meters from eBay, just for blue led display
There are plenty for car and general purpose use
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2015 at 10:50pm
Bought a 24v blue LCD meter for £2 off Ebay recently, seems to work ok.
Sapro2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapro2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2015 at 9:06am
Ok, i had had a look at the bay but i have seen some dubious reviews on other sites so i was wondering if anyone had any specific experiences wrt accuracy and longetivity.

Inwould rather spend a bit more now and not have to replace it later.

Cheers
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2015 at 11:47am
I´ve bought a few of the cheapos off the bay and they´ve all worked fine. If not, you´ve got Buyer Protection.  Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Sapro2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapro2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2015 at 11:58am
Thanks. I will get one from the Bay then.

Cheers all
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2015 at 12:16pm
I use a cheapie ebay one on my 24V setup .... works fine, but check the current consumption. Mine was using about 20-25mA ISTR .... which I decided was a bit high for a system with less than 1A mean current draw - so I put a momentary contact switch in series. You just hit the switch now and again to check the voltage.

The other thing to bear in mind is the "speed" of the meter. Many are a bit too "fast" really i.e. the reading will "flicker" when playing hard because of the audio .... a tad irritating, but not a real problem.

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2015 at 2:29pm
Time Average reading Meters are available which may well be a much better solution for you than 'snapshot' measurements.

No switch/button is required and the sample duration of these can also be altered with the better ones...

Have a look at the professional suppliers of such instruments (An Internet search for "Battery Monitor"), explain perhaps by Email to suppliers as to what you are trying to monitor, plus why, and any good manufacturer/supplier should be able to properly assist you with their range of products.
For Current measurement, a Hall Effect sensor is your friend as it doesn't sit in series with your supply at all. Some meters will even directly display the VA used from your Battery(s) so that you really know how much charge remains plus sometimes the remaining running time you have remaining at the rate of discharge you are using! Some also monitor Battery Temperature as well, which can be important.

hope this assists, whilst I have such things as these for tests, they may not be suitable for your particular applications; so I haven't made any recommendations as to type other than 'don't expect good results from Ebay sellers - especially low price ones - for this sort of thing'!

Mik

Edits to clarify things - hopefully!
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2015 at 2:32pm
For some reason the 'Edit' function doesn't work here properly, so sorry about the multiple posts.

Mods, please can you delete all but the last post of these very similar ones from me?

Mik
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
Grinner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2015 at 6:06pm
this works well, with advantage of being able to draw a diff voltage from it.
can have it showing input or output an off.
an cheaper than most that are just displays
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-DC-3-35V-To-3-5-35V-100W-LED-Voltmeter-Step-up-Adjustable-Power-Boost-Module-/141149814807?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item20dd2f4017&clk_rvr_id=777113488146&rmvSB=true
as long as you don't want to draw more than 100w from it that is at diff voltage
tested it for well over 40hrs with no probs

Edited by Grinner - 08 February 2015 at 6:08pm
Sapro2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapro2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2015 at 8:16pm
@audiomik - thanks for the info a bit of internet research to be done by me i think
@grinner - i had a look at that module, is there a control to adjust the output voltage at the moment my amp is 12v. Maybe in the future i will go 24 or higher but not just yet

Cheers again, thanks for your help
Splat Soundsystem
Baby Sham pram Soundsystem
Sapro - SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/sapro
DJ Sapro. West country free party DJ and Producer.
Sapro2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapro2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2015 at 8:20pm
Sorry, just reread the pigeon english and i presume you can adjust the voltage. I think i had better buy it and start experimenting.
Splat Soundsystem
Baby Sham pram Soundsystem
Sapro - SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/sapro
DJ Sapro. West country free party DJ and Producer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>