Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Distance between compression driver / horn and mid
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Distance between compression driver / horn and mid

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2016 at 12:44pm
the way I would do this is to get the horn as close as possible to the mid driver to minimise problems in the crossover region. I would also use a 2.5 way crossover and just use the lower 10" from ~250Hz down to compensate for the baffle step response. this way the acoustic centre of the mid is in the middle of the upper cone rather than between the two drivers. you could then stick the logo between the two 10" as they will still couple below 250Hz where they need to.

or get a bigger woofer and do a 3-way crossover. don't really see the point in a TMM arrangement unless you are going to arrange them MTM to get good vertical polar response - but for PA this isn't ideal as better to have the tweeter well above head height.
Cheif_Stringer_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheif_Stringer_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2016 at 4:36pm
@bob4

Hi mate, trust me im listening, been having a think and im leaning towards scrapping the idea and instead having a bigger vertical logo down one of the sides of the boxes rather than on the front / baffle area, wont look as good but the build and performance should be better

@toasty

Hi, yeah i was hoping they were Faital horns when looking at them before i really liked the way they sounded, before id heard those tops in july i was asking Richard about them at an earlier festival but had it into my head that he said they were 12s for some reason lol, i thought they were amazing when i heard them, the reason i chose 12s was so i could use them with subs only for smaller applications (the subs im building dont go very high)

@snowflake, well im using 12s with a 1.4, the subs and kicks im using wont be that tall so i think i may get a benefit from TMM for the reason you said

thanks for your time everyone Smile
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2016 at 6:29pm
Make the prototype without even thinking about the logo, and then make a simple logo work with the speaker you have designed to be lean and as scientific as practical. If you make the box taller to make room for the logo, the whole speaker gets bigger. The logo does not need to be so fancy that it affects the design at all. If you need a sweet wood working project logo, make a separate logo unit with lights and flashy stuff and no incorporated sound. If you choose the brand logo and make the speaker weigh 40 extra pounds and sound worse, you will eventually regret it. Make it lean. Make sacrifices for practical reasons. The look is important, but speaker designers (people who will be your peers in the speaker hobby) like sleek, effective, efficient and reasonably sized. A big logo on the front with a visible cosmetic sacrifice of audio quality is a design black eye, right on the front of your box. You will be explaining it to other designers who are scratching chins and thinking it would have been better without the logo sacrifice. I promise, it will irritate you.

Edited by b grade - 05 October 2016 at 6:32pm
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2016 at 6:39pm
FWIW, I have never designed a speaker and then not had some kind of regret built in. Something I did awkwardly or maybe a slight tweak that could have been better. It kind of haunts you. It is the great disadvantage of DIY vs R&D equipped speaker companies. You don't get to build 30 different variations and test them, so you have to just stick to the guidelines of audio when you can. The educated guess has to become your superpower.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheif_Stringer_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2016 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by b grade b grade wrote:

Make the prototype without even thinking about the logo, and then make a simple logo work with the speaker you have designed to be lean and as scientific as practical. If you make the box taller to make room for the logo, the whole speaker gets bigger. The logo does not need to be so fancy that it affects the design at all. If you need a sweet wood working project logo, make a separate logo unit with lights and flashy stuff and no incorporated sound. If you choose the brand logo and make the speaker weigh 40 extra pounds and sound worse, you will eventually regret it. Make it lean. Make sacrifices for practical reasons. The look is important, but speaker designers (people who will be your peers in the speaker hobby) like sleek, effective, efficient and reasonably sized. A big logo on the front with a visible cosmetic sacrifice of audio quality is a design black eye, right on the front of your box. You will be explaining it to other designers who are scratching chins and thinking it would have been better without the logo sacrifice. I promise, it will irritate you.

Yeah the idea was to make them look appealing to party go'ers, im sure there will be different opinions but them being front radiating reflex boxes with round grilles (looking like recognizable 'speakers' to the average person), having a high profile colour scheme etc, my goal was / is to make the average party person wonder what they sound like just by seeing a picture of them (to the uk bass heavy underground dance music scene im into, not folk music fans for example).

Ill probably put a logo under the 12s but make it smaller so it looks right, along with making a black grill out of a wood frame and cloth type matieral that can be dry fit to the front at anytime for a low profile config.

Again thanks for the advice everyone
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2016 at 6:18pm
Ah, so you're essentially trying to copy the Electrikal style wholesale?
Steve20131 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve20131 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2016 at 6:25pm
Post pics of the build Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheif_Stringer_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2016 at 10:03pm
@toastyghost

Im into a similar scene to what Electrikal do, and the simple but high profile looks of what i have in mind will defo be inspired by them no doubt, my midtops in general are inspired by them really, although the writing below horn and looks were gonna be quite different but im scrapping that now, but ultimately im just a dude who went to his first festival in June, have been into audio and music for a while, and after it decided im gonna build a system. Electrikal Soundsystem is like a pack of moutain lions whereas im closer to a nats pleb ;)

@steve

I will when i come to it, not sure how long itll be until the woodwork shop i work at has plenty of space with me not being cheeky using up too much workspace too lol

Edited by Cheif_Stringer_ - 06 October 2016 at 10:05pm
Keen View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by b grade b grade wrote:

FWIW, I have never designed a speaker and then not had some kind of regret built in. Something I did awkwardly or maybe a slight tweak that could have been better. It kind of haunts you. It is the great disadvantage of DIY vs R&D equipped speaker companies. You don't get to build 30 different variations and test them, so you have to just stick to the guidelines of audio when you can. The educated guess has to become your superpower.
Good point. Particularly when you're making compromises for space during the design process. For eg, reduce the size of given horn whilst maintaining pattern control etc, and/or getting drive units as close as possible to one another.

Though, the DIY'er has the advantage of thinking about the design 24/7. Hence the forums I guess.  
Keen View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 11:03pm
back on topic; is the HF classed as a LF source at X-over in terms of coupling two mid drivers which are further than 1/4 wavelength apart? And is it the voice coils or any part of the cone surface that needs to be within 1/4 wavelength to avoid cancellations?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheif_Stringer_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2017 at 8:14pm
Something else im unsure about is splaying, faital say the lth142 a 60 degree dispersion horn but its also a tractrix, is there anything else i need to consider because of this?

the cabs im going to design will be trap and i cant get my head around what the angles will be from the front to the sides of each cab, so that when the cabs are standing together in a horizontal array with the sides of the cabs touching, they will always be at the correct angle from each other for the best coverage

http://www.faitalpro.com/products/files/LTH142/LTH142_hor-beamwidth.jpg
"nice one matee"
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2017 at 8:40pm
The only real way to determine that is by experimentation.

Make some temporary stands for the horns and set them up in an open space so you can walk across the front of them.  Adjust the angle so you get the most even sound as you move from on-axis with one horn to the other.

It's not scientific but it's probably the easiest way to get a result that will work acceptably in practice.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>