Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DIY amp rack flightcase

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIY amp rack flightcase
    Posted: 17 August 2012 at 2:43pm
Hi,
I'm wanting to make a rack for some of my gear.
Are there any good plans/guides on the best way to acheive a good looking case?
I have seen the plans for 19" racks on this site but that seems to just be the "sleeve"

I was thinking of building the sleeve out of 19mm MDF, , then pretty much build a slightly bigger 9mm "skin" round this then getting the usual fixings for flightcases.
Is this how its normally done?

It wont have a hard life > i just love building stuff!

Any pointers would be great. doesnt have to be bomb proof.
herke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2012 at 2:47pm
I found this guide on making the flightcases which is really good but doesnt have anything rack based in it.

This is what I was going to follow for the skin
http://fuzzcraft.com/flightcasediy.html
jollygt78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jollygt78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2012 at 7:36pm
reliablehardware.com has a video series on building flight cases.  i have done a few.  real easy if you're using the extrusions.
http://youtu.be/tssHWplikfE

Edited by jollygt78 - 20 August 2012 at 7:37pm
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2012 at 8:02pm
I make my own case (or get APS to make them) because I don't the whole ally extrusion thing.

Last amp racks I made were a sleeve with a 15mm top and bottom, 12mm sides in a 15mm case.

I used birch ply and they have 4 x C-Audio SR series amps in, unless your wood work is appauling I don't see you would need to go to 18mm ply.

I went for the 12mm sides as i wanted a certain exterior size to match some of the my other cases, but 15mm is fine.
I butt jointed everything (rebating an amp sleeve seems daft as you remove material) used Polyurathane glue with 40mm pins for assemblyand 35x3.5mm turbogolds, just wound in, no pilots every 100mm for clamp the job up nice and tight!!!

9mm won't be a good amp rack case, 15mm is the way to go for best weight/strength compromise...
addictive,audio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addictive,audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2012 at 9:08am
 If you make it out of 18mm you will never lift the rack alone never mind when it has amps in.
 I make my own racks depending on what it is used for ,I use 15mm birch ply for a standed power amp rack(remember the case can be strong but the amps them self once racked up tight also add to alot of the strenth in a case).
Or if it is for rack gear i.e. eq's , gates , cd players i use 12mm for a standed rack or 9mm laminate with the full aluminum trim but not the cheapest way of building a rack.

If all else fails i just go to castle cases batley
herke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2012 at 9:43am
Hi guys,
Thanks for the replies. I was going to go 18mm as thats what the plans on the homepage say! :)
It will be for amps so needs to be quite strong.
Making the sleeve should be easy, its how you make/attach the front and back removable faces I cant quite get my head round.

I will probably go down the extrusion route, but as you say its expensive!
I will also check out those youtube vids to see if anything is clearer.
thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply