Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DJM 800 power gone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote simonp1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2016 at 10:24pm
I'll give you a clue........ IC43 (3.3V regulator protection fuse). WinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWink
r3k0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r3k0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2016 at 11:43pm
Oh my, I love clue's :P

Well now the DSP board is completely out of the unit IC43 (J) seems completely dead :D

Next question, would it be ok to use a F1.25A 20mm? 
mingotj1221 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mingotj1221 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2016 at 2:54pm
Alright guys I have some info. I posted the other week that I shorted out my mixer during a channel fader replacement. I accidentally powered the mixer on while one of the faders was not secured (the underside of the fader circuit was touching the metal fader bracket). When I tried to turn the mixer on, it just simply would not power on..No sparks or anything, just no power at all.  No one has been able to provide actual experience of what actually gets damaged when this sort of short occurs, which is understandable given that each scenario may present different types of damage. I took the mixer to get it fixed and having read this forum suspected blown surface mount fuses on the dsp. This was not the case however. The dsp was fine. The main cylindrical fuse on the PU was also fine. Although they did not say exactly which parts were replaced, they did tell me that there were blown parts in the power on/off switch section and also in the PU board. That´s all I know. One thing is for sure here guys. If you do not know how to test circuits with a multi-meter, you will most definitely need to take in the mixer to have it looked at. This is not a youtube tutorial type fix. If you have the same problem I did I would recommend two options: A: Take the whole mixer in to have it fully tested and fixed (Cost me 150 pounds) or B: Take everything from the power switch to the dsp out at your own risk and have it tested (Shouldn't cost more than 30 pounds for this test and replacement of any fuses/capacitors shouldn't exceed 20 pounds) Good luck, learn from your mistakes, and be careful! 
r3k0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r3k0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2016 at 5:32pm
Well, i have a different story ;)

I was told by the owner that he did a similar thing as you, shorted the channel 1 fader while refitting while the unit was on.
Just went dead after he connected the fader body (or more than likely one of the pins) with the chassis.

But with the help of these loverly peeps on here (Especially simonp1100) ive managed to just get the unit to power up again :D

I bought the correct smd fuse in the end as luckily i have a Dj supplies in the city center and they had 1 J fuse in stock!!

So again, big thanks to simonp1100 Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up

simonp1100 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonp1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2016 at 6:59am
No worries. ClapClapClap
Miarka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miarka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2020 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by chickenfizz chickenfizz wrote:

Yes, you have indeed shorted something, probably 2 different somethings. Good news is that almost certainly it's just 1 or more of the surface-mount "littelfuses".

The fuses are located on the DSP board near the connector which runs from the power supply. They are tiny, flat, green surface-mount devices and are labelled with single letters, they should all measure short with a multimeter, if any are open circuit they will need to be replaced. There is a table on page 3 of http://www.littelfuse.com//en/_Sheets/Littelfuse_Fuse_466.pdf - this pdf which will give you the values required for the replacement. So a component marked 'D' would be a .250A fuse and the part number would be 0466.250.

Available from RS, Digikey and Mouser straight from the search.

If you've not worked on surface-mount electronics before then don't experiment with your thousand pound mixer!! Send it off.

Oh and you'll likely need a new fader for that channel (though I didn't realise the left and right control signals were passed through the fader separately). Beware, prices range from about £1 to £70 for a fader (exact same Alps product).

just tested all of the littlefuses in my DJM800. Most were around 1 ohm except fuse "B" which gave a reading of about 5 ohms. Any idea if that is within tolerances?
My symptoms are that the display isn't lighting up at all. found a halfway pulled out flat connector, i'm thinking it shorted something, maybe this fuse...?

Edited by Miarka - 01 August 2020 at 11:47pm
toddtodd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toddtodd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2023 at 2:24am
Originally posted by simonp1100 simonp1100 wrote:

I'll give you a clue........ IC43 (3.3V regulator protection fuse). WinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWink

Just want to say, this just SAVED me. I did exactly what mingotj1221 and r3k0 described; I as playing with the faders while the mixer was turned on and shorted it. Stupid, I know.

I miraculously found these posts from Google, and you gave me the one piece of information I know I wouldn't have been able to figure out on my own (IC43). Thanks so much simonp1100!

I ordered the part from (PIONEER IC PROTECTOR FUSE "J" - DEK1098) from Neon Production Supply in Las Vegas, and when I got it I couldn't believe how small it was; I realized soldering it onto the PCB was going to be really annoying lol. I open up the mixer and eventually find the DSP circuit board and see that the previous J fuse had been blown. Again, there's no way I would have been able to find this without this comment (and the DJM-800 manual).

I did an (admittedly sloppy) solder job, plug it all back in, and couldn't believe that it actually powered on!!! So happy :)

Again, thank you so much for this hint! And to all the other people who left pages worth of discouraging and unhelpful comments...... literally why do this lol
simonp1100 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonp1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2023 at 10:41am
Originally posted by toddtodd toddtodd wrote:

Originally posted by simonp1100 simonp1100 wrote:

Just want to say, this just SAVED me. I did exactly what mingotj1221 and r3k0 described; I as playing with the faders while the mixer was turned on and shorted it. Stupid, I know.

I miraculously found these posts from Google, and you gave me the one piece of information I know I wouldn't have been able to figure out on my own (IC43). Thanks so much simonp1100!

I ordered the part from (PIONEER IC PROTECTOR FUSE "J" - DEK1098) from Neon Production Supply in Las Vegas, and when I got it I couldn't believe how small it was; I realized soldering it onto the PCB was going to be really annoying lol. I open up the mixer and eventually find the DSP circuit board and see that the previous J fuse had been blown. Again, there's no way I would have been able to find this without this comment (and the DJM-800 manual).

I did an (admittedly sloppy) solder job, plug it all back in, and couldn't believe that it actually powered on!!! So happy :)

Again, thank you so much for this hint! And to all the other people who left pages worth of discouraging and unhelpful comments...... literally why do this lol
Glad to help. Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345