Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Downgrade" system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Downgrade" system
    Posted: 27 January 2013 at 11:02pm
Hi,

i am currently running 8xhogs with nlw9600 and it is a spl winning combo, but still i am missing the sound of my old scoops, which were V-18 1000 loaded and even them were not the best sounding scoops. For me, it is all about quality bassline for mostly roots music, not tooo much hard digital dubs. I can resign to spl madness instead of having a round and warm b-line which does not play too accurate and brings forward some vibes !!

My actual combo sounds like a robot, it is perfect to get every tone you want in the most precise way but there is no vibe coming out of them ...

So, is it the hog itself Confused i have tried v-18 1000, pd1850, some 18s and Oberton XB700. The only driver which sounded good and outplayed others also in spl was V-18 ( was totally disappointed with pd1850 )
The sound was best with the void but i was still missing some smootheness.

What do you think could sound nice in them... i was looking at Volt RV4514 and PD186, which i found very nice sounding in super scoops !
I knew the Volt driver well in old King Shiloh scoops which were fantastic sounding to me, but it is a long time ago...
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2013 at 11:09pm
have you tried parametric eq, different slopes, delay?

all didnt help to get the desired sound?
turbo7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2013 at 11:18pm
of course i have tried a lot, have good dsp with all kind of different filters and eqs. To me they sound cold and i guess its the driver, hopefully not the cab itself.
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2013 at 11:22pm
hogs sound much cleaner than regular scoops, many members and users on here stated that at least..
maybe too clean for you liking?
Should sell easily so get rid of them and get some classic scoops you seem to like more.

RealitySound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealitySound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2013 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by turbo7 turbo7 wrote:

of course i have tried a lot, have good dsp with all kind of different filters and eqs. To me they sound cold and i guess its the driver, hopefully not the cab itself.

Another member told me that driver would sound cold. ( the low VAS)

Edited by RealitySound - 27 January 2013 at 11:46pm
When you gonna send me some $$ mate ?
king david View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 1:25am
do you have mixer & dsp or preamp?
http://www.warriorcharge.noblogs.org
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 6:41am
Originally posted by turbo7 turbo7 wrote:

Hi,

My actual combo sounds like a robot, it is perfect to get every tone you want in the most precise way but there is no vibe coming out of them ...

So, is it the hog itself Confused
The word I think you're looking for is 'sterile'

mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 6:43am
few pages here

http://forum.speakerplans.com/hog-scoop-reggae-sounds_topic75349.html
turbo7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 2:48pm
king david, i have both, preamp and mixer +dsp, but nothing a mixer can not do so could eq the same curves like a preamp...
hog plays very flat, maybe i should eq out somthing in the middle and try to get the scoop "dip"

Yes mykey, sterile is the word. hm...

If equing does not help maybe its really the cab... any eq ideas anyone ?! It can be "one notish" if the sound gets better and 50hz still drop seriously
thanks all !

I have had very good experience with the spl vitalizer unit, which has a very nice and smooth bass control, maybe this would be enough - ha !! Just got that idea... maybe get one again
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 2:55pm
If a scoop doesn't thunder and absolutely impress with either V18-1000 or PD1850, and pre-amp, it's time for it to go.

Originally posted by bass*en*mass bass*en*mass wrote:

hogs sound much cleaner than regular scoops,

Have heard this type of statement many times here in regards to what some would class as weaker scoops, or similar in regards to "some" lightweight amps, that some call accurate, which actually means cold sounding.

Always refers to what the the uninformed call "distortion", but is actually a lack of depth & warmth, and the "guts" to provide natural sub note rolloff.

Edited by levyte357- - 28 January 2013 at 3:04pm
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
king david View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 3:34pm
for me the hog sounds low, flat and with very solid bass, and i wanted that cold sound and get rid of distortion/one note sound coming out my preamp+hog combination...i sold preamp and got a mixer...
good choice as to me problem was especially preamp...thats why i was suggesting the use of a preamp to have a dirty, more distorted, one note at 50hz sound...to me looks like you want to do the reverse of what i did

i dont want to end in discussion, this is just my opinion, everybody should go for the type of sound they like more...
1 thing i may suggest, dont build 8 x cabs if you are not sure you like their sound! ;)

edit: i play mostly digital dub not roots...

Edited by king david - 28 January 2013 at 3:38pm
http://www.warriorcharge.noblogs.org
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by king david king david wrote:

good choice as to me problem was especially preamp...thats why i was suggesting the use of a preamp to have a dirty, more distorted, one note at 50hz sound...

If my pre-amp did that, I would also sell it.LOL

Problems with many pre-amps & builders, are the owners/buyers.

They need to have the sound shaping skills, to request/use the pre-amp features required, to get the sound desired.

Unfortunately, this also means knowing what you're talking about, when discussing custom pre-amp options, and many don't.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>