Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

*Driver Heat Dissipation Thread*

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2010 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by Louder than loud Louder than loud wrote:

Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Originally posted by Louder than loud Louder than loud wrote:

I hve seen the Void cabinets... ummm i dont think it would make any difference and surely doesn't this become ''void'' again when you start blocking them together. Great cabinets tho :) !
Sitting in front of 8 right now at Bugjam 
The Void heatsinks are positioned in places where they shouldn't ever be obscured from airflow, so they are better than the LAB access panel design in that regard.
<!-- bmi_SafeAddOnload(bmi_load,"bmi_orig_img",0);//-->
What ???
No there not.......

We're running 8 right now = 4 in a row 2 high ... so thats 6 heat sinks all covered up Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.
i am not saying these cabinets are bad in anyway there bloody good - very good !! just not sold on the heat sink thing. 

On the Stasys X they're on the rear of the cabinet, on the Psyco and Stasys 5 they're in the mouth.

I presume you're referring to the Arcline X, where the heatsink is on the right hand side of the cabinet if you're facing the mouth? In that case, you still have 2 heatsinks exposed to air in your stack but I see your point. I think that was a case of 'needs must' though, and as far as I'm aware that cabinet is designed to be stacked vertically, 1 cab wide, to provide elevation for ground stacking the tops.

To be honest, when you're manufacturing cabs at a professional level rather than doing it DIY or trying to cut corners to save cash for small runs, the heatsinks probably come to very little due to bulk discounts and the likelihood that you have access to your own machining tools, so it's hardly going to hurt adding them to a cab.

Originally posted by Tiff Tiff wrote:

Toasty,as i have said on the other forum,im not saying its not working,just not as effective as it can be .

Maybe we just take different approaches - we tend to run our cabs at a loud but still safe level, and don't go silly chasing a few extra decibels. If we need it louder we provide more kit, although thats rarer and rarer due to licensing restrictions these days.

I'm happy for the extra protection a heatsink provides, but I don't think it suddenly allows me to push full power or more than RMS rating into a driver for 8 hours of solid sine wave basslines. Anyway, even it's minimal you can always pull the Tesco defence, and Void have been good about providing the updated heatsinks as a retrofit to existing cabs with the Psyco so if there are significant improvements to be made I'm sure they'll be made available to us when they are revealed, as seems to be common practice with manufacturers (eg Funktion One offering upgraded drivers for old F218s)

Edited by toastyghost - 23 July 2010 at 4:48pm
Tiff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2010 at 5:06pm
I dont think u get what im saying.im not saying we run them hard cos of the heatsink.im solely saying i think people believe the heatsink on the voids with them on is more affective then it really is.me,and s dexter belkeve in the psycho the driver is thermally limited and not mechanically in that tough environment,this makes improvement for the cab alot easier .especially if what we have in mind works,for improved power handling and reliability
S DeXter View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S DeXter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2010 at 5:08pm

I dont think u get what im saying.im not saying we run them hard cos of the heatsink.im solely saying i think people believe the heatsink on the voids with them on is more affective then it really is.me,and s dexter belkeve in the psycho the driver is thermally limited and not mechanically in that tough environment,this makes improvement for the cab alot easier .especially if what we have in mind works,for improved power handling and reliability

No, this is not my point of view. I am merely going to do a private experiment to see what benefit, if any, there is from a better heat sink. I will not say either way until I have evidence to back up any claims.

Edited by S DeXter - 23 July 2010 at 5:08pm
Enjoy your self...... It's later than you think.......
Louder than loud View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louder than loud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2010 at 5:17pm
Lets agree to disagree then :)
Tiff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2010 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by S DeXter S DeXter wrote:

No, this is not my point of view. I am merely going to do a private experiment to see what benefit, if any, there is from a better heat sink. I will not say either way until I have evidence to back up any claims.

Which lawyer firm wrote that for ya ;)
Louder than loud View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louder than loud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2010 at 10:27pm
!!LOL!!
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2010 at 1:13pm
if the heatsink gets warm, it must be doing something useful.  if anything, a heatsink is more for thermal management than to sink away 200 degree's c from a vc.  the more heat that is got rid of throughout a prolonged high power usage, the less buildup, and the longer a coil and assembly takes to reach temperatures where power compression takes hold.
REFLEX ALL THE WAY.... (however, im playing with horns again...) That ok Mister Valiant? :)
nineleaves View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2010 at 1:53pm
ferrofluids work under certain circumstances, however they are rarely used on (pa) bass applications as the drivers tend to throw the voice coils around so violently that the fluid is prone to spurting and jumping out the gap making a right mess. Some grades of the fluids are apparently less prone to it, and seemingly john meyer of meyer sound has found one that he uses on his 18" sub drivers. not sold on the idea tho, air cooling best for bass drivers.
Edd Jordan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edd Jordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 8:10am
why have driver companys not done it then? it seems to me with all the knolledge of years and years collectively of unit desighn stupid if they havent useed heat sinks. or is it not worth it, they,ve looked at it and there little to be gained? im going todo some reaserch, what about kooling the air down around the voice coil run the speaker in a fridge see if its more effeicent Big smile.  
I do a sideline in ply wood wheels.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 2:57pm
Because alot of (most) audio companys are far more interested in selling boxes and making money, than they are in actually pushing the boundrys of technology and making genuine advancements - that costs money & takes time.
Also for them, trying out established methods of improving things which are known to be of benefit are seen as a new potential risk for something to go wrong & that worrys them more than selling what they already know.

Edd Jordan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edd Jordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 4:55pm

yeh thats probaly true to a degre but they must be heading in some kind of dirrection in the terms of responce, sound quality and efficiency. ie speakers now must be better than the ones of 20 years ago right?

im going to get a couple of my old speaker books out and have a look.
I do a sideline in ply wood wheels.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 5:08pm
Unfortunately theres been a recent trend over the last decade or so to concentrate purely on marketing and image ..pulling abit of an 'emperors new clothes', working real hard on convincing people they are getting something new and improved, when it just is not so. Infact a good number of companys that had some truely quality products in the past have really slipped back on that front, due to it not being relavent to their business model. Instead concentrating r&d on just how many corners they can cut to minimise production cost & maximise profit at 'competitive' (or otherwise) margins.

However things maybe changing for the better, as some people at least are waking up to this being a really bad way to opperate.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>