Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dropping Pound.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 26>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dropping Pound.
    Posted: 19 October 2016 at 9:11am
With the dropping in value of the UK pound,anyone been affected yet by the different exchange rates? I would imagine the days of cheap chinese audio products are going fast,anyone noticed any big price increases ?
Be seeing you.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2016 at 9:37am
Good for me here. I just ordered a load of Pataks pickles as UK goods are now (relatively) a lot cheaper.

Except for marmite, of course.   LOL

Edited by Earplug - 19 October 2016 at 9:38am
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2016 at 9:51am
Most distributors have sent the standard email around to dealers warning of impending price rise due to dollar/pound/euro blah blah.

Plenty have already done some form of rise since 2012, some multiple times, and always seem to blame currency fluctuations. I find it hard to believe such international companies don't "hedge" money between accounts, to minimise exposure to such things.

Or they could be just opportunist, and trying to put prices up, to make more money.

The clever ones, put a few pounds on, so they make more, but the retailers are kind of stuck at the street price of £XX99.99. Trying to make something £209.99, when it was £199.99, is something retailers hate.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2016 at 9:54am
Yeah, I've noticed that I can afford to visit home. I've also stopped targeting the UK for jobs and trying to go back for now; I don't want to earn a currency which is so unstable. I wanted to go back but I might have to try and hide out in Asia or the US until it all calms down.

Saying that, if the situation is the same once my rebate comes through I might buy some things before there's import duty.
Don't test the champignon sound
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2016 at 10:01am
I know for a lot of people this is bad news, but for exports its good news....

... So far it's been good for me, I have a software licencing deal with a company in Florida and I'm paid USD so I've effectively had an 18% pay rise.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2016 at 3:06pm
I don't deal in audio for a living, but some suppliers have passed on increased costs, others have stayed stable.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2016 at 5:08pm
Exports will rise. This whole stupid low interest rate was on it's way to negative rates anyhow. Greed. FFS, it was cheaper to buy a product from Thomann and ship it here at any weight, plain wrong. It will get rough, but we now have the best minds on the planet. Stop looking towards Thomann and the like and start looking towards DV247 etc. (example). I only hope we can gear up our manufacturing quick enough.

Hopefully our great amplifier companies can start manufacturing more of their own components in the long term. We now have UK TV companies, UK white goods companies and others again. Just got to get the components manufactured here, just wait until the big players see the advantages once we can export again, to who we like, at a fair to them exchange rate.
Rose tinted specs? Na, just look at our history.Thumbs Up

PS. Nothing though will be as bad as when North Korea gets free. A massive long term injection of labour so cheap it will send China to it's grave.

Edited by nickyburnell - 19 October 2016 at 5:10pm
It's everything, not everythink!
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2016 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

but we now have the best minds on the planet.

LOLLOL

Sooner people realise that UK has shitloads to catch up with rest of the Europe for example in so many areas, the better. Great British Engineering has been a myth for a long time now.

Na, just look at our history.Thumbs Up

And that's what it exactly is and that is the biggest issue in this country. Too much looking into history, and living in the past without actually looking forwards and moving this country and world forwards.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2016 at 5:36pm
Best you go where it's better then. Cheerio
It's everything, not everythink!
Jasonstry View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonstry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2016 at 5:49pm
< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">

Best you go where it's better then. Cheerio

If that is a valid argument, I wonder why all the Brexiters didn't just do this then?

Down with signatures!
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2016 at 6:00pm
Nicky, I agree, I have just started setting up to manufacture a product for home and export. It's easy to sit back and criticise this country and it's people, I choose to actually get off my arse and do it.
jammin75 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammin75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2016 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Pasi Pasi wrote:

but we now have the best minds on the planet.

LOLLOL

Sooner people realise that UK has shitloads to catch up with rest of the Europe for example in so many areas, the better. Great British Engineering has been a myth for a long time now.

Na, just look at our history.Thumbs Up

our British precision gauges aint no myth !!!  LOL  2 to 3 micron tolerances and on british machines the best on the planet Big smile

Edited by jammin75 - 19 October 2016 at 6:05pm
feel the vibes !!!   "Who Feels it Knows it"            Strong like Lion              
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 26>