Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Dynacord original Powermate and Mk 3 differences?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dynacord original Powermate and Mk 3 differences?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymanoftheworld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dynacord original Powermate and Mk 3 differences?
    Posted: 27 February 2015 at 5:42pm
Hi - as someone who has previously had all gear supplied at venues I now am going "self-contained". I would like to know what the difference is between the older Powermates and the Mk 3 - obviously newer and probably smaller and lighter "parts" - but in actual working capabilities etc. is there any actual difference? Many thanks.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2015 at 5:58pm
There is no tonal difference. New ones sound as bad as the old ones. New one is more powerful and with SMPS psu so it is lighter.
I must admit i am a big Dynacord hater. So take my words as very biased.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
aziz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aziz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2015 at 6:52pm
All way hated the powermates,they always sound muddy and toppy at the same time( how is that possible).
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2015 at 7:42pm
i swear by them, for an artist or karaoke jock there isnt anything better on the market

i own 3 currently

the mk3 does sound fractionally different but its hard to tell unless youve got a very good ear, but they are lighter and have alot more power than the original
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2015 at 9:09pm
Ask yourself this, if you've been put off having a powermate, what's the alternative? A&H PA12CP perhaps? I can't think of any other quality brand.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2015 at 1:20am
Yamaha?
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
aziz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aziz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2015 at 4:11am
Never liked any of the standard powered mixers,in fairness some of them can do the intended job very well.
Maybe with blinkers on my favourite would have the spirit powerstations until they got older and the amp section in them died or just gave trouble.
Maybe the dynacord is the best out there at the moment but as I said I was never happy using them,they just never sounded right.
When I started in this crazy business nearly 30 years ago ,the rolls Royce of pa to any small band was a HH hundred watt head with 5 channels and just a volume and bass and treble on each channel with a pair of HH dual concrentric's that did not have pole mounts in them , so you would have to rob some beer kegs or tables
From the venue just to raise them up a bit.
I done bands in venues upto 3 or 4 hundred punters with a rig like that and never had any real legitimate complaints about the sound quality or quantity..
Then started to move on to newer powered mixers like the studiomaster powerhouse and the carlsbro offering at the time w ith the new fangled Bose 802 and ev stage 200s.I think that's when it all started to go a bit pete.
But anyway , back on subject' dynacord powermates are probably the best of a bad lot out there, feature,power and size wise.
But I would rather have a zed or mixwiz with good matched amps and speakers any day.
Lad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2015 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by aziz aziz wrote:

All way hated the powermates,they always sound muddy and toppy at the same time( how is that possible).

You just have to use it with Dynacord speakers, then it will start to sound right (sort of..). As have been said, there is no quality alternative to Powermate's and it even has fx mute footswitch jack.

Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Yamaha?

Work of evil. I haven't seen any other mixer where I had to pad input for speech SM58.
with regards, Ladislav
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2015 at 4:49pm
i quite like powermates if im honest, the one we had at the union had been through war, dropped, left outside in the rain for 3days, clipped to buggery, 'toured' around student parties, and never developed a fault.

perfectly adequate [if not better] quality output for its intended use also!! Best powered mixer i have come across....!

Comparing it with 'pro' end market compact mixers with 'suitable' amp is unfair really... they simply aren't made, or priced to the same market.

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2015 at 1:01am
the only other option worth considering if you dont have dynacord money to spend is the yamaha emx5016cf
its a nice desk and with a bit of work you can get it sounding pretty good but its not a quite as good as the dynacord but then you can buy them for around £800 i think ,

its predessor is the emx5000 and can be got for decent money on ebay when they pop up but these werent as good as the studiomaster vision which were the class leading desks till dynacord came along with the powermate,still good if your on a budget,i still own 2 studiomasters

the allen and heath cp12 desks are decent everything works well on them and they have good power but the lexicon effects are not in the same ballpark im affraid

hope this is of some help
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
RONAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2015 at 9:28pm
Probably one of the best powered mixers ever, Connect to a pair of quality speakers and you have a system for rapid deployment.. We have lots in our hire stock, mk2 and also the mk3 , 1000 & 600.
When I occasionally get the chance to gig myself, party`s pub gigs etc. I always grab a Dynacord mk2 1000..
great reliability, decent effects plenty of power from it`s 700watt stereo amp.
  There is no magic needed, but you do need to connect to quality speakers.. I my part of the world I can`t think of any hire or pro audio/av company that somewhere in the hire stock don't have Dynacord pm1000.
EVENT SOUND RON.
 Post Reply Post Reply